4%
 4%  [2]
Total Votes: 47

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

20mb up a remote mountain yet BT can get broadband to the whole of the UK Rolling with laughter

I use FF at home and office and safari on the iPhone Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #110507 18th Aug 2011 6:37 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

freedieselauto wrote:
Doctor,

30mb fibre optic - I am green with envy! I only manage.5 , yes that's half mb, as we are so far from the exchange and the fibre optic cable ran up to the village but didn't stop and just carried on to the next town. Anybody know how to tap into a fibre optic cable? Whistle

Browser immaterial at that speed, I think. I stand to be corrected.

I wish it were that simple mate. 30mb is £28.50 per month but then I use it a lot for Uni work amongst other things but I am paying £23.50 for the first 6 months. The problem is stupid speed drops. A lot of the time it is 30mb with the odd fluctuation but suddenly it can drop to 4 or 5mb and sometimes 0.8mb! This happens even with ethernet cable connected!

Virgin's router is a modem and router all in one unit and has suffered many technical problems. I am getting pi Censored ed off with it though Evil or Very Mad LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #110513 18th Aug 2011 7:57 pm
athelstan

The Doctor wrote:

I wish it were that simple mate. 30mb is £28.50 per month but then I use it a lot for Uni work amongst other things but I am paying £23.50 for the first 6 months. The problem is stupid speed drops. A lot of the time it is 30mb with the odd fluctuation but suddenly it can drop to 4 or 5mb and sometimes 0.8mb! This happens even with ethernet cable connected!

Virgin's router is a modem and router all in one unit and has suffered many technical problems. I am getting pi Censored ed off with it though Evil or Very Mad

The Doctor
A good owd friend of mine (a techie working at the BBC) told me that all these quoted MB figures become irrelevant once they hit your house unless your house is in itself fibre optic laced, and even then, once it enters your PC or Mac the speed drops off. In other words as soon as the data comes into contact with a printed circuit board its transmission speed is limited by the efficiency of the electronic components therein.

The figures quoted by the service providers are theoretical lab data pushing data along a fibre optic cable and take no account of the all the gateways along the route from broadcast to receipt.

Post #110554 19th Aug 2011 8:15 am
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

just tried mozilla firefox, but it has taken over my computer and csnt find internet explorer now!!! grrrrrr

can you run multiple browsers on windows 7???????????

Post #110633 19th Aug 2011 10:14 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

landy19840 wrote:
just tried mozilla firefox, but it has taken over my computer and csnt find internet explorer now!!! grrrrrr

can you run multiple browsers on windows 7???????????

I had IE9 on my old laptop running Vista but didn't bother with it. I downloaded Firefox and used that as my default browser but could still use IE9 if I wanted without any problems.

I have got both Firefox and Safari sat in the dock on my MacBook now but only use Firefox. Again, Safari will still work without any problems

Strange... LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #110634 19th Aug 2011 10:19 pm
landy19840

I had chrome which did the same. I need to be able to switch the computer on at anytime of the day and use IE for work stuff but as quick as I can!

Post #110636 19th Aug 2011 10:22 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

landy19840 wrote:
I had chrome which did the same. I need to be able to switch the computer on at anytime of the day and use IE for work stuff but as quick as I can!

Get a Mac Laughing Bow down

Joking aside, I am still staggered by how fast it fires up. Sure it does the initial loading up to the log on screen but that in itself is quick. The real joy is that once the password is entered, everything is ready to use, no loading programs in the tool bar or waiting for anti-virus to load up. Shutting down is even better. None of this saving settings, logging off and shutting down crap. Just press shutdown and it does just that, instantly.

I was sceptical due to the price but I am glad I changed now. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #110637 19th Aug 2011 10:29 pm
landy19840

I wanted a Mac, but work insisted I had something with windows, so got a brand new £1100 Sony vaio, which is ok but it runs hot and takes forever to load stuff compared to a Mac. Also a Mac won't run what I need to do for work, so it's got to be windows with IE! Sucks

Post #110639 19th Aug 2011 10:36 pm
Monza

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Using Chrome here for over a year now and only found once a web site refused to login.
Otherwise: no problems at all!!!

Post #110875 22nd Aug 2011 8:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12