Home > General > High Mileage FL2/LR2s?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jamescflowe

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Baltic Blue
High Mileage FL2/LR2s?

Hi all,

Greetings from the United States (Charlotte, NC). I purchased a second-hand LR2 about 6 months ago. It's a 2008 model with all options (everything except xenon lamps, heated seats, and navigation is standard in the US). I really love the vehicle and find it perfect for what I need. My only concern is long term reliability. Currently the car is at the dealer awaiting a new rear differential (car has 54k miles). Luckily, I purchased an Extended Warranty so I don't have to pay $5,000 for this repair, however the differential assembly is on back order so it may be awhile. I really want to have this car for a while, hopefully 150,000 miles. I've had a handful of issues with the LR2 (broken sunroof, shifter assembly misaligned, torn seat, and a delaminated windshield), but I wouldn't call it unreliable. Since the vehicle was available in Europe prior to the US, what is the long term reliability of the Freelander 2/LR2?

Should I plan on purchasing something else before the warranty ends at 100k or is the LR2 capable of higher mileage, closer to 150k miles?

I guess it ultimately depends on my experience with the LR2, but I would appreciate some input from others who have higher mileage 2006-2007 models.

Thanks! Chad

2008 LR2 SE (Lighting, Cold Climate, and Tech packages)
Baltic Blue/ Alpaca

Post #104777 9th Jun 2011 2:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
D99

England 

Hi

I started a topic a short while ago that might help you, Not alot of replies yet but all good news so far.
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic9185.html

Post #104796 9th Jun 2011 6:56 pm
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

i bought mine new in jan 08...not a single problem with it....touch wood javascript:emoticon('Wink')

Post #106230 27th Jun 2011 10:10 pm
velociphiles

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Mine has now done 160k miles and still going strong. TD4 SE

Post #115049 28th Sep 2011 3:24 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I think it's basically a reliable car, and suspect that it's age rather than mileage which will cause problems (my Disco2 started to fall apart at 10 years old and about 120 000 miles). Personally, I will keep paying for the extended warranty (limited version), as repairs if they ARE needed tend to be costly.
Yours will be a petrol (gas) engine - I doubt whether there are any high mileage petrol versions in Europe, as we nearly all run diesels, so the engine will be a bit of an unknown quantity unless you can find replies from other US owners.

Post #115111 29th Sep 2011 4:07 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

worth checking the volvo forums for the 'gas' engine as it is a tweaked version of the engine found in the s80's and various other big volvo's

Everything I have read suggests its a fairly reliable lump - but then i expect as per the td4 it tends not to be the engine that lets it down Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #115114 29th Sep 2011 4:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1