Home > My Freelander 2 > NEW SD4 HSE:INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
jay_72

South Africa 
NEW SD4 HSE:INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

Hi all,

Took delivery of my new SD4 HSE last week.The price here is approximately GBP 45000 after conversion.It looks like the vehicle is getting some attention here in SA as there is a 4 month waiting period at the moment.The first impressions are excellent on a straight comparison with my C 200 sedan.In the initial drive I received 8.6l/100 KM or 27mpg roughly while driving at an average of 70 miles per hour over a distance of 285 miles.The Merc gives me more or less the same in that stretch.I am so impressed with the acceleration making overtaking so easy.This was my main reason to choose the FL2 over the new diesel Prado which is really disappointing in this regard. I hope the fuel efficiency will improve with time.My wife has found it very easy to switch over from her Fiat sedan and is equally enjoying the status of a driver!

It comes with a satnav as part of the HSE package.Today I discovered a dvd drive hidden under the right seat with a dvd for Satnav system.I am just wondering if it would enable me to play any dvd and watch it in the screen.For fear of damaging the system I didn't experiment.

The issues I am having are with the lumbar support and the memory seats.Apparently one should be able to adjust the lumbar support.However when I press the switch apart from the noise from the motor there is no obvious change. With regard to the memory seats apparently it is programmable with different remotes.Will appreciate if anyone can provide me with an insight as to the above issues.

Thumbs Up

Post #104552 7th Jun 2011 5:49 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Jay - I can assist you with three points :
1) Sat Nav - No it does not play DVDs.
2) Memory seats - The lumber support is adjusted by what I call a rocker switch which is seperate from the swiches on the side of the seat for the foward backward movement. Holding the switch down you should obviously feel either a push into your lower back or movement away - you say you cannot feel anything so that's not right.
3) His and hers remote key fobs - No they do not have this feature. Set the seat position you like, wing mirrors in D for auto or 1st gear and then put it into reverse and set again the wing mirrors for reverse - then press the memory button and button 1, 2, or 3 - then do the same procedure for your wife. If she has been driving, press 'your' memory number on the seat before you get in (it's always live or becomes live when the door is open anyway) and by the time you've got your belt on it's all in position Thumbs Up

Post #104555 7th Jun 2011 6:06 pm
jay_72

South Africa 

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Hi Jay - I can assist you with three points :
1) Sat Nav - No it does not play DVDs.
2) Memory seats - The lumber support is adjusted by what I call a rocker switch which is seperate from the swiches on the side of the seat for the foward backward movement. Holding the switch down you should obviously feel either a push into your lower back or movement away - you say you cannot feel anything so that's not right.
3) His and hers remote key fobs - No they do not have this feature. Set the seat position you like, wing mirrors in D for auto or 1st gear and then put it into reverse and set again the wing mirrors for reverse - then press the memory button and button 1, 2, or 3 - then do the same procedure for your wife. If she has been driving, press 'your' memory number on the seat before you get in (it's always live or becomes live when the door is open anyway) and by the time you've got your belt on it's all in position Thumbs Up

Thank you so much for your repsonse.Could you tell me if there is a way of opening the tailgate while the key is docked without having to get off from the vehicle.It is the other nagging issue..

Post #104559 7th Jun 2011 6:21 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

There is a button in the rear chrome arse piece

If it's locked press unlock on the dash, if you want to open it press and hold lock & unlock on the dash till you hear it open, 5 secs or so Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #104560 7th Jun 2011 6:26 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If you mean unlocking yes, surely there's a lock and unlock button either side of the hazard warning button on the dash. Just press the unlock next to the parking sensor activation button Thumbs Up
If you mean literally automatically lifting up the tailgate, no it doesn't do that.

Post #104562 7th Jun 2011 6:29 pm
jay_72

South Africa 

Thank you both for your responses.Looking forward to a long trip to Kruger National Park in the next couple of weeks.Will post some pictures soon Thumbs Up

Post #104568 7th Jun 2011 6:46 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

About the his and hers key fob. for each fob you can set the 3 memories individually, this means you can have his and hers keyfob.

My nbr 1 is her nbr 2 and visa versa. 3 is same as 1 with dipping mirrors in reverse.

To switch fobs you need to close/open the car with the fob you want the memory settings for. Just switching fobs in the ignition doesn't change anything.

Post #104654 8th Jun 2011 10:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

zone30 wrote:
About the his and hers key fob. for each fob you can set the 3 memories individually, this means you can have his and hers keyfob.

My nbr 1 is her nbr 2 and visa versa. 3 is same as 1 with dipping mirrors in reverse.

To switch fobs you need to close/open the car with the fob you want the memory settings for. Just switching fobs in the ignition doesn't change anything.

Shocked Thats news to me Shocked I got 2 fobs and 3 memories no more no less Confused

The memory works without the fob in the ignition, thats the only good thing I have noticed. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #104661 8th Jun 2011 12:54 pm
Swingwing

Just tried my MY11 SD4 HSE and I too can set 3 memories on each Fob - excellent!

Wont tell SWMBO far to complicated. Very Happy

Post #104664 8th Jun 2011 1:23 pm
zone30

AndyC wrote:
Shocked Thats news to me Shocked I got 2 fobs and 3 memories no more no less Confused

The memory works without the fob in the ignition, thats the only good thing I have noticed.

I Have a MY09 but when I bought it they told me it is actually a MY10. One of the first ones with start/stop. So may be a MY-related thing if it doen not work.

Memory is based on the last fob to remote connect, in or out of ignition does not change the fob relation, remote control does. Last fob to remote control owns the memory settings.

Post #104666 8th Jun 2011 1:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Confused My other fob is away on tour at the mo, but will check this out ASAP - thanks for the tip Zone30 Thumbs Up

Maybe this will be another thing to add to my "Things I didnt know what my Freely can do" list Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #104673 8th Jun 2011 2:23 pm
jay_72

South Africa 

zone30 wrote:

Thank you Zone!That is wonderful.Looks like not many are aware of this feature.Shall try soon

Post #104675 8th Jun 2011 3:28 pm
zone30

Not sure that lumbar support is part of the memory story, don't think it is.

Post #104676 8th Jun 2011 3:32 pm
jay_72

South Africa 

Zone,For some more clarity,assuming the car was locked with his fob, if opened with her fob, will the seats automatically assume the new position?

Post #104677 8th Jun 2011 3:39 pm
Swingwing

jay_72 wrote:
Zone,For some more clarity,assuming the car was locked with his fob, if opened with her fob, will the seats automatically assume the new position?

I'm not zone but I can give you the answer.

When you open the LR with the FOB and dock the same FOB, (I also started the engine), then the memory positions associated with that FOB can be selected. Stop engine, lock car then open it with the other FOB and start etc and you have 3 new positions - unless you set them to the same positions on both FOBs.

Post #104692 8th Jun 2011 6:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>