Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > NEW SD4 HSE:INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

But the seat don't automatically move to the last position of each fob? If I understand you correctly I need to press a button to select a position Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #104700 8th Jun 2011 7:38 pm
Swingwing

npinks wrote:
But the seat don't automatically move to the last position of each fob? If I understand you correctly I need to press a button to select a position

Exactly. It isn't the BMW/Merc "His n Her" key setup. Once you have set it up for each FOB, when you unlock the car with a particular FOB and then press a memory number it will go to the stored position for that FOB.

No one explained this to me when I collected my car, so I don't think it is a design feature - just something that happens with 2 FOBs. Actually it's a pain in the arse cos you have to set up both FOBs

Post #104713 8th Jun 2011 8:36 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

jay_72 wrote:
Zone,For some more clarity,assuming the car was locked with his fob, if opened with her fob, will the seats automatically assume the new position?

Nope, you still need to push the memory button, but it uses the memory of the fob you opened the car with. Docking any fob does not change this.

IOW: if you open the car with your fob, memory settings use your fob. Even if you dock her fob, start with it and drive with it your fob's memory settings are still in use. This means when you want to change fobs, open the car with the fob you want the memory settings of.

Post #104748 9th Jun 2011 9:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jay_72

South Africa 

Hi all ,thanks for the responses.As someone mentioned here it doesn't look like this feature was deliberately introduced by LR- it is not mentioned in the manual at all.Today tried to change the bulbs to led ones.It was successful with the numberplate.The same led was refused by the system when substituted for front park light!Again tried to change the fog lamps to Osram Night breaker plus.It was a real mission to reach the right fog and the mechanic finally gave up Sad

Post #104903 10th Jun 2011 9:21 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Jay - with the front park lights/side lights you need a canbus LED

This link might work...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-CANBUS-T1O-501-5-S...3a669c8337

I'm not specifically recommending these (I can't find the one's I purchased) but it's an example of what you need. I put in a 5 led bulb in the sidelights as the 4 x led's around the sides shine against the reflector with one at the front give a brighter light. Thumbs Up

Post #104962 11th Jun 2011 6:30 pm
jay_72

South Africa 

[quote="mcphersonstrut"]Jay - with the front park lights/side lights you need a canbus LED

This link might work...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-CANBUS-T1O-501-5-S...3a669c8337

Thank you MPS for your response.Did some extensive touring with the FL (total of 5500 kn in the last ten days)

I drove to Kruger National park last week which is 1500km from where am staying.The vehicle was loaded with 4 adults and 3 children and boot was used to its limit.The road was overall very good and we travelled through the plain land and hills.I am convinced that the Disco 4 is a huge hit in the country.It was one of the commonest sites on the road.I did come across some Fls as well but they were far few in number.

Here is my feel of the car.

Let me say good things first.Very comfortable for long distance drive.Excellent acceleration making overtaking very easy.A couple of 5 series beemers tried chasing the FL in the freeway and they were certainly surprised.Fuel consumption was 9,8 l/km.I used 50 ppm Diesel as recommended and it was not difficult.Guess this is good considering the terrain,load and the fact that we were cruising around 140km/Hr.Interesting enough there was significant difference in fuel consumption between 120 and 150 km.hr.The body roll was never to the limit of concern as so was wind noise.Even while travelling through a 250 km bad stretch at pretty high speeds the passengers at rear never complained.I found the dials clear enough.The blue tooth integration with Nokia and I phone worked well.The Nokia has a problem with volume levels in my Merc.It started off the same with FL but somehow got rectified.Breaking is excellent.The airconditioning for rear passengers is okay.There was also a concern about too much sun shining inside with only a net covering the sunfoof but this was never a problem.The gps is accurate though map for some areas are missing.

Now the bad things.The front window refuses to shut on single click.It bounces back every time.It is not a new devolpment and has been like that ever since I took delivery of the car.The controls for the windows are not visible enough on the driver's doorat night particularly when the orange indicator shines.The audio is not upto the standards I expected.I battled a lot at night with heavy rains even with the Xenons and almost hit a horse standing in the middle of the road.Thanks to the superb breaking we are all alive.I wonder if anyone has tried an upgrade on the Xenons.If so please share the info as the outlet here couldn't advice me in this regard.

Overall it is a very good car and I am indeed very impressed with it.I decided to extent warranty on engine and other components for upto 5 years as it came cheap.Hopefully I will see more of freelandres in South African roads rubbing shoulders with its big brother.I also hope that this feedback will help prospective buyers in SA who are still doubting the quality and performance of this car.

Thumbs Up

Last edited by jay_72 on 10th Jul 2011 5:37 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #107388 10th Jul 2011 4:20 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

re the front window not closing on one push etc.

I had this, it sounds to me as though it needs resetting.

The procedure is simple and in the hand book.

Hope this info helps.

Post #107390 10th Jul 2011 5:19 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

[quote="jay_72"]

mcphersonstrut wrote:
The front window refuses to shut on single click.It bounces back every time.It is not a new devolpment and has been like that ever since I took delivery of the car.

As Eddie said, it's a common problem (not just with the FL2, I had a Beemer with similar issues). RTFM Wink

Quote:
The controls for the windows are not visible enough on the driver's doorat night particularly when the orange indicator shines.

Agreed

Quote:
The audio is not upto the standards I expected.

I really wonder why people bother with audio standards in cars, given the background noise, the fact that the speaker positioning will never suit both driver and passengers, etc. Suffice to say I'm happy with the audio in mine ...

Quote:
I battled a lot at night with heavy rains even with the Xenons and almost hit a horse standing in the middle of the road.Thanks to the superb breaking we are all alive.I wonder if anyone has tried an upgrade on the Xenons.If so please share the info as the outlet here couldn't advice me in this regard.

I have Xenons and think they're excellent. At the end of the day if the weather is crap even Xenons won't cut it. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #107407 10th Jul 2011 9:30 pm
ad210358

England 

Never heard anyone say that the Xenons were not very good, are they Xenons or Projectors Question

Post #107409 10th Jul 2011 9:45 pm
jay_72

South Africa 

Nazca,thank you for your advice. Tried,however the window is still corrupted.

Brian, am not looking for stereo effects rather clarity of sound. In my understanding the UK model has a premium Alpine stereo available as either an option or as a standard for top of the range models which is not offered for SA models.Certainly there are some serious listeners out there among the drivers and this is evident from the fact that Boss and B&W music systems are offered by Audi and Jag as an optional extra.

Ad,my lights are indeed xenons.I am not saying they are bad,just not enough in certain situations.I have to travel throgh rural SA and often gets to greet donkeys ,horses and cows standing in the middle of the road at night.An upgrade on the xenon is posssible as I found from a thread started by stonerow in this forum on this very subject.Apparently the xenons come in various power 5000K,6000k etc and it is possible to upgrade it.The infrared night vision would have been a good investment for me but not available in any LR models.

Post #107583 13th Jul 2011 12:23 pm
EYorkshire

Quote:
An upgrade on the xenon is posssible as I found from a thread started by stonerow in this forum on this very subject.Apparently the xenons come in various power 5000K,6000k etc and it is possible to upgrade it.

The 4000K/5000K/6000K all relate to colour from a yellowy to a bluey (no, not that kind of bluey Smile ) so I'm thinking there is no power upgrade.

Post #107587 13th Jul 2011 12:54 pm
jay_72

South Africa 

EYorkshire wrote:
Quote:
An upgrade on the xenon is posssible as I found from a thread started by stonerow in this forum on this very subject.Apparently the xenons come in various power 5000K,6000k etc and it is possible to upgrade it.

The 4000K/5000K/6000K all relate to colour from a yellowy to a bluey (no, not that kind of bluey Smile ) so I'm thinking there is no power upgrade.

You are right, Went back and checked in detail and it is a mere cosmetic upgrade Sad

Post #107591 13th Jul 2011 2:28 pm
taztastic

England 

4000k etc is the colur temperature of the light 5000k being a standard for "daylight".

It is possible to upgrade the Xenon bulbs and ballsts from the 35watt standard to 55w which are significantly brighter, however, in bad weather they cause significantly more glare.

Get a bull bar and learn to say "oops theres another one" Rolling with laughter

Post #107603 13th Jul 2011 4:59 pm
jay_72

South Africa 

taztastic,before going for the bull bar tell me where can I get one of those propellers to give an occasional thrust Smile

Post #107634 13th Jul 2011 9:15 pm
taztastic

England 

http://www.trailertoys.com/plashitcovsp.html Thumbs Up

Paul

Post #107639 13th Jul 2011 9:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>