Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
dunroof

Bullshit - when it comes to winter tyres in conditions that require them Rolling Eyes
Just try driving a car with summer tyres in Scandinavia and you wont get very far.[/quote]

Andy please read the orginal answer. 'Sweden, Norway, Russian' covers Scandinavia? If not apologies.

Reev - too true, I didn't know it would provoke that amount of hostility or I'd have kept my gob shut too, but hey ho, thats life.

In the UK we rarey get anything that cant be coped adequately with the normal M&S and a bit of experience. If you dont agree, put a 17 year old behind the wheel this winter and tell him the tyres will see him thro okay without any advice from you.

Post #103708 30th May 2011 3:27 pm
alex_pescaru

dunroof wrote:
I didn't know it would provoke that amount of hostility or I'd have kept my gob shut too, but hey ho, thats life.

Sorry if what I've said seemed to be inappropriate...
But in my opinion, a good winter tire makes sometimes the difference.
Experts say that when the temperatures drops below 7 degrees Celsius, it's better to put winter tires because of the different composition/stiffness of the tire. Not to mention when snow covers the roads.
Indeed, you can cope with a M+S tire and a lot of experience, but the laws of phisics can't be bent and sometimes one meter more or less, when braking, makes the difference between life and death...
I, for one, for a couple of bucks, prefer to be on the safe side... Very Happy Thumbs Up
Peace!

Post #103712 30th May 2011 4:12 pm
dunroof

Alex, your replies as always are fine. No issues with them although I can see why other comments lead to people being apprehensive about taking part in forums.

Post #103720 30th May 2011 4:32 pm
MVS

I don't think it's anything personal.

It's more to do with the relevance of people's posts to the OP's specific (2) questions in this case.

Post #103723 30th May 2011 5:01 pm
dunroof

Time to move on I think.

Post #103743 30th May 2011 7:11 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

All this over a bit of rubber Rolling Eyes

Me. goodyear wranglers through the last 2 winters (same set both times), had absolutely no problems at all up here in the northeast with all the snow we had.

Don't rate winter tyres, never have done and never will do, if I want soft rubber then remoulds do the same job, alot cheaper and can be discarded after one season.

Just my 2p worth. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #103750 30th May 2011 7:45 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

3 weeks of snow in a year in the UK is regarded as bad winter, it cost me £0 on Tyres over winter others have to spend up to £500+ on winters Tyres, I'm I missing something not just £££.

Post #103758 30th May 2011 8:29 pm
trevd01

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

hinchy wrote:
3 weeks of snow in a year in the UK is regarded as bad winter, it cost me £0 on Tyres over winter others have to spend up to £500+ on winters Tyres, I'm I missing something not just £££.

Cheshire's basically flat isn't it? Up here in the Pennines things are a bit different...

Try going down the snowy hills here with summer tyres on and you would soon change your mind. Trevor

'60 reg SD4 XS (long gone!)

Post #103766 30th May 2011 9:35 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I have got Goodyear Wrangler All Weather tyres as fitted from new and whilst I accept the quality of winter tyres, the Goodyears on mine never put a foot wrong in the heavy snow last winter, be it for grip on compacted snow or the deeper stuff. Including descents using HDC, no problems at all Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #103768 30th May 2011 10:00 pm
matt-j

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

i got to the point where all 4 boots needed replacing and with the amount of snow we get in my area i got the wintrac 4 extremes , they are fantastic in the snow - not just the snow on our lanes but i got through 20yrds long & approx 0.5m depth drifts.

but on the other side of the coin, i have never attempted it (deeper snow) on new factory tyres to compair

and also this lr2 testing video mentions/covers off tyres....

&feature=related

i agree with alex - better safe that sorry with my kids in the car

Post #103772 30th May 2011 10:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

trevd01 wrote:
hinchy wrote:

Cheshire's basically flat isn't it? Up here in the Pennines things are a bit different...

Try going down the snowy hills here with summer tyres on and you would soon change your mind.

Rubbish, yes I do live in Cheshire but on the edge of the Peak District and it's very hilly and we get pleanty of snow as anyone else in this country if not more, but in all the years I've owned a land rover I've never been stuck, just had to go a bit slower.
If we got longer winter's (ie more snow not just for 2-3 weeks a year) then yes I'll would get winter Tyres.

Post #103776 31st May 2011 12:09 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

dunroof wrote:
People get confused. Even the MS rated tyres, the ordinary ones that are factory fit are good enough for over 12 inches plus of snow. The one thing no tyre will cope with is sheet ice, unless you have studs or chains and thats another type of driving entirely more fitting for north Sweden, Norwary, Russia. Personally, I'd save your cash and forget buying a set. Invest in a driving course. That will get you the skills you need more than some fancy cut rubber.

Would have to check but I understand studded tyres are illegal in the UK.

Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #103782 31st May 2011 8:20 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

I would have to say having read quite a few topic threads and other places that no matter what tyres are used it really comes down to the "driving".

If you want to avoid problems make sure you can "drive" in the conditions you need to.

Reading the road and conditions will always help you. 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #103790 31st May 2011 9:29 am
ad210358

England 

I ran with Vredestein Extremes last winter and they are not just for Snow though, they also are very good in the wet and will alledgedly out perform the M&S rated tyres in this department, but I expect we do not get enough wet weather to justify them either in some members eyes Rolling Eyes , but at the end of the day its down to choices some may not to want to part with their hard earned and some do not feel that they can cope with whatever is put before them. SWMBO through the nature of her work throughout the Chiltern involves flooded roads, snow, hills etc, so if fitting something that may just get her wherever her destination is safely then so be it. As stated its down to choices.

The original OP just wanted some views on two questions,
1 When do winter tyres become available?
2 Are they any which are to be avoided (or any which are outstanding)?

Not once did he ask for views on should he buy them, just which ones and then war begins.
Choices. Thumbs Up

Last edited by ad210358 on 31st May 2011 11:01 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #103795 31st May 2011 10:53 am
dunroof

Rolling Eyes

Post #103798 31st May 2011 11:01 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>