« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Honest advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

The Doctor wrote:
I believe there is a member on here who has bought an eD4. I wonder how many more miles you can get out of a full tank in one of those.

That's easy to answer - it's only two wheel drive so half Whistle 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #107121 6th Jul 2011 6:04 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

simont wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
I believe there is a member on here who has bought an eD4. I wonder how many more miles you can get out of a full tank in one of those.

That's easy to answer - it's only two wheel drive so half Whistle

I suspect it's not as economical as LR would have us believe. 2WD is only going to compensate so much for what is still a heavy car with the aerodynamic properties of a brick. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #107122 6th Jul 2011 6:14 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

I came from a bmw series 3 07 plate, it was an excelant move. Had fl2 now just over two years, apart from a few minor niggles all seems to be going fine. milage is good on the manual getting arround 35mpg arround town. the build quality feels good. quite on moterway runs. This last lot of snow went up on the moors, never got stuck, great for towing.
All round a good solid 4x4 that thinks and acts just like a car but better. servicing is easy if you plan on doing it your self too
Thumbs Up

Post #107123 6th Jul 2011 6:17 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Mine will have a 1,000 miles on it after only its first week! I set the trip computer as I left home on Saturday afternoon and have completed about 850 miles since then.

About 400 miles of that was on the motorway at around 65-75mph and the rest was gentle lane and B road driving. I've been using a top box which has historically cost around 1-2mpg. My old V70 D5 would have averaged around 35-36mpg on that journey with the 'box, while my 2011 MY TD4 has averaged 30.9mpg

I have absolutely no regrets in choosing it, but I had hoped for better than that Sad

Post #107130 6th Jul 2011 7:36 pm
EYorkshire

It will better that with more miles, my TD4e was consistently just over the 40's

Post #107132 6th Jul 2011 7:41 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

EYorkshire wrote:
It will better that with more miles, my TD4e was consistently just over the 40's

I'd expect that too; here's hoping....

Post #107137 6th Jul 2011 8:03 pm
LDKMan

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Just return from two weeks holiday in Northumberland and N E Scotland, milage 1888; 39.9mpg; motorway & dual carriageway speed 65/70. I run a FL2 D Auto current mileage 27,000. Hope this helps. GONE - LARGO GREY FL2 09 SE.
FL2 61 XS.

Post #107139 6th Jul 2011 8:20 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Didn't pop in for a cuppa then Rolling Eyes ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #107140 6th Jul 2011 8:37 pm
LDKMan

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

No went past you onto Cullen, could have done with a free lunch! GONE - LARGO GREY FL2 09 SE.
FL2 61 XS.

Post #107141 6th Jul 2011 8:49 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

tigger ur mpg will improve after approx 5,000 miles etc my td4 was high 20,s low 30,s but after approx 5,000 miles on the clock mpg did improve iam now getting 36plus local 42to 44 on a run taking it steady Thumbs Up

ps hope the weather improves camping in st ives 2nd week of august Bow down rainy-city
xs

Post #107161 7th Jul 2011 7:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tigger

United Kingdom 

bigalf1961 wrote:
tigger ur mpg will improve after approx 5,000 miles etc my td4 was high 20,s low 30,s but after approx 5,000 miles on the clock mpg did improve iam now getting 36plus local 42to 44 on a run taking it steady Thumbs Up

ps hope the weather improves camping in st ives 2nd week of august Bow down

Those figures are encouraging. Thanks for the warning about August - we'll see what weather we can arrange for you having had some decent notice!

Tigger.

Post #107162 7th Jul 2011 8:20 am
Jimmyb79

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I picked up my FL2 GS TD4 2008 a few weeks back. It's got 60k on the clock. In terms of reliability, it's been back a couple of times already, but first time was to reattach a piece of body kit that had come loose, and the second is booked to replace the aircon compressor which is making a horrendous noise. Whilst being prepared it had a power steering pump replacement which I was told is quite a common problem.
All in all, I love the car and other than the aircon issue, I've had no problems, and to be fair, the aircon was making the noise when I test drove it, the engineers mis-diagnosed the fault as power steering related.
I get 30-35 mpg average, and on a trip with 1/2 motorway 1/2 town, I get around 550-570 miles to the tank.

Post #107172 7th Jul 2011 11:28 am
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

50k miles, MY09. Only minor warranty niggles nothing major.
Replaced the stereo with a Kenwood unit (see gallery).
Hand-shifted, TD4e with some minor bling added.
The much sought-after and envied Santorini black version.
One of the first TD4e's out there (build in march when they started production of it).

I average around 650kms / 400miles on a full tank, with about 80kms / 50miles range still left (refill when lightcomes on).

I mainly drive:
- 30% heavy traffic
- 20% backroads
- 30% highway at normal speed (avg 100kms/hr / 60mls/hr)
- 20% highway at above normal speed (avg 140kms/hr / 90mls/hr)

Only occasionally go offroad.

It is very difficult for me to get noticable differences on this range but when going on vacation and doing large stretches of highway at normal speeds I have done 750kms / 450mls an a full tank, but this is rare for me.

I personally am very pleased with the car and must admit that 80% of the stuff I get the car to the dealers for to rectify something is of nitpickings while the car is still under warranty. Engine-wise it never needed anything except for servicing.

Things I went in for:
- back an front mesh of the sunroof (replaced)
- loose rubber of a passenger door (replaced)
- windscreenwhiper motor loose (replaced, but badly calibrated, still have to go back for that)
- back windscreenwiper came loose (fastened, never had issue again)
- scratch on a panel when I got it delivered (replaced)
- dpf fault after service: the forgot to reset the car's computer, never had issue again)

Things that yet need to be sorted:
- there's some minor movement on the front seats that needs to still be looked after, will have it looked at one next service
- need the a-pillars replaced as the seat belt cuts into them. This is a known issue for all FL2's so when you buy a used one, you can spot it's age on it. Under warranty they will replace it, so I'm waiting to have it replaced close to when my warranty runs out.

Service record: had 3 basics done
- all 4 brake pads are replaced
- had one set of summertyres (the original) ones replaced
- tyres have been swapped 4 times (summers - new winters - summers - winters - new summers)

Other stuff:
- been hit in the back by car: minor damage to me, major to the other one
- truck clipped my back wing; dent + broken taillight and bumper (both replaced).
- wife drove off driver's rear view mirror
- intersection crash with other car (other's fault): complete front redone, including parking sensors, other car (peugeot 205) was a write off due to having its front wheel broken off (LMFHO). Mine did not have that much damage but due to it all being plastics it was unrepearable and had to be a new front part.
- chips in windscreen and boot (bad roads after winter): new windscreen and boot repainted.
- I bent one of my tubes brackets offroading on a Land Rover Day. It's not a major bent (front is a bit higher up now) and if you don't know it you can't see it. I too have to walk around the car several times to re-spot the mishap.
- went to do some heavy offroading (to my standards) and have a lot of minor depth scratches on the sides becouse of branches. Need that polished out one of these days... But no-one except me seems to see it.
- car washed about 20 times now.

In other words, it has been through some rough patches and had some abuse and still it's a head turning, stunning performer and after 2.5 years it still looks quit new.

There are only few things that annoy me just a little bit:
- Take-off speed (due to short first gear), that's why next time I'd go for an autobox. And also becouse the autobox is even better offroad.
- Would have loved more range. They should fit a bigger tank.
- The minor rollback on the handbrake. This is the one major thing I don't like as it annoys me when driving up a hill in a traffic jam. Getting rid of traffic jams would help here! so please averybody, go out of my way when you see me coming...

Last edited by zone30 on 7th Jul 2011 2:20 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #107178 7th Jul 2011 2:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

excellent all round car put up with a few little niggles do go on one of the experance days you can blag the dealer say i would like to do an experance b4 i make my mind up ,

my freelander has been in the dealer for 3weeks with a fault but i still love the car i hope they get it back to me b4 august as i go away camping and need it to tow a trailer Bow down Bow down rainy-city
xs

Post #107179 7th Jul 2011 2:13 pm
driftpuma

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Thanks to all for your advice etc. Some promising figures there. Bit better mpg etc than to my current car. But on average I think the running costs could be about the same.

Now to sit down and work out figures. Id prefer to buy from a dealer as you get the warranty etc but have to see whats about out there!!!! Or be extra nice to the bank manager as ive said before! Bow down

Thumbs Up

Post #107183 7th Jul 2011 3:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123