Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Sport mode on auto box.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Freelander 2 le sport

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Fuji White
Sport mode on auto box.

Hi there,

i have just found that i have a sport mode on my auto box, do all freelander 2's have this or is it becuz i have a le sport?

does anyone know what differance this makes and does it use for fuel? ive heard from a friend that he heard sport mode can save fuel, dunno how true this is does anyone know of this??

cheers

Post #95585 18th Mar 2011 10:39 am
EYorkshire

All the auto's irrespective of model have the "Sport Mode", it basically hangs on to the gears longer, changing up later and changing down earlier. No, it won't help you save fuel.
Very rare I use it as I see no benefit. If I want to overtake quickly I use "command shift" mode and choose my gear beforehand, otherwise normal "drive mode" does it for me.

I suppose if you are driving country "B" roads where the auto is up and down a lot the sport mode might help but again, holding it in a gear with command shift might be just as good.

Post #95586 18th Mar 2011 10:43 am
LRFTW

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

Disco3 always had much better economy on windy b roads and in stop start traffic when in sport mode.

Manual says not to use sport mode for 1000 miles iirc

Post #95607 18th Mar 2011 12:06 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I've heard people claim that sports mode or more specifically command shift can save fuel as they are in control of the gears and so the most appropriate gear can be selected proactively as opposed to the gearbox selecting it reactively when in auto auto. I'm sceptical myself but I can see the logic.

Also I believe that when in sport the lockup clutch engages more quickly which also could be why it saves fuel.

In my opinion its going to be so negligible that it just comes down to preference and driving style, like Eyork I'll use it for overtaking etc but generally leave it in drive. Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #95612 18th Mar 2011 12:35 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

A lot of my driving is on 2 way roads with limited places to overtake. I select sport mode when about to approach a good overtaking part instead of using kickdown, then change up using command shift.
This gives much quicker initial response and better gear change control. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #95613 18th Mar 2011 12:38 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

They can use less fuel on roads when you may be accelerating and slowing down by only a small amount, but the car is constantly changing gear. When it changes gear there is no drive but the engine's still running using fuel for a small amount of time.

I do use it if I suspect I may be about to overtake as it usually drop a gear so the car is smack bang in the midrange so you can unleash all the torque instantly Very Happy

Towing's another situation when I sometimes use it when on country roads and in town Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #95648 18th Mar 2011 6:30 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Confused.....I have the auto box with command shift. Latter allows me to stay in a gear or shift up/down one gear at a time. No mention of 'Sports mode' which suggests a setting which would change sequentially at higher revs. Does Sports Mode exist or is it an invention? Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #96142 22nd Mar 2011 11:26 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

When in D (Drive) Knock the gear stick left one notch and hey presto into Sport mode (As per the display in front of you and as it says in the hand book) Thumbs Up

Post #96147 22nd Mar 2011 11:47 pm
julytourist

'When in D (Drive) Knock the gear stick left one notch and hey presto into Sport mode (As per the display in front of you and as it says in the hand book)'
No, that is Command Shift, not Sports Mode,
See my question above...... Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #96151 23rd Mar 2011 1:09 am
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

julytourist wrote:
'No, that is Command Shift, not Sports Mode,
See my question above......

Negative!

When you first push to the left, that is just 'sport' mode, the box still acts fully automatic (and the dash shows a little 'SPORT' indicator next to the gear indicator). Whilst in sport mode, you can push back and forth to over-ride the auto-selected gear and then you are in 'Command Shift'.

Cheers,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #96153 23rd Mar 2011 3:22 am
EYorkshire

As the others are saying, one push to the left puts you in "Sport Mode" where the gears hang on longer changing up and changes down sooner automatically. As soon as you push up/down you enter "Command Shift" and can only return to "Sport Mode" by pushing the stick to the right again into "Drive" and left again into "Sport Mode".

Hope that makes sense, it did in my head Confused

Post #96160 23rd Mar 2011 8:17 am
julytourist

OK, for the second time in two weeks I have been proved to be wrong......Tried out Sports mode today and read the bit in the manual, plonker!....In my defence the manual for my 57 car was obviously incorrect as my perfect memory assures me it did not mention 'Sports Mode'.........Also my eyesight is poor and the text in the gear indicator is tiny.........excuses, excuses
I discovered a third thing on a LR Experience session at Dunkeld last week but will keep that to myself for now!
JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.

Post #96271 23rd Mar 2011 9:31 pm
ad210358

England 

Come on JT spill the beans, I won't tell anyone Laughing p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #96273 23rd Mar 2011 9:37 pm
julytourist

Will do, but in a new thread...... Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.

Post #96274 23rd Mar 2011 9:43 pm
alextankl

Malaysia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

i will engage sport mode when overtaking on a very sharp corner or uneven roads as it helps to maintain the car stability and enhance the traction control than normal. besides, the sport mode will decelerate the FL2 speed so quickly when you release your foot from the acceleration pedal and the vehicle will stop steadily once you apply a little brake, even on a very high speed, such as 160km/h.

the sport mode eventually helps for smoother gear change and i totally agree with eyorkshire that it will not save fuel. therefore, only engage the sport mode when you really need it. Fans of Land Rover

Post #98070 7th Apr 2011 2:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>