« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > jus been flashed by a speed camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
jus been flashed by a speed camera

48 in a 40, guess thats £60 and 3 points then Big Cry freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #91801 13th Feb 2011 2:01 pm
PaulC

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear that.

Not necessarily will you get a fine and points. It depends on where in the country you get flashed and whether that area is running the scheme that allows you to take a speed awareness course.

I got flashed doing 35 in a 30. Fair cop I thought but I was pleased to be offered the chance of a speed awareness course. Cost £75 but then no points. I took that. The extra £15 was worth no points as my licence is otherwise clean.

Good course too. I don't speed at all now out of habit (only accidental if not paying attention and always kick myself when I catch myself over the limit).

Post #91804 13th Feb 2011 2:24 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Re: jus been flashed by a speed camera

s7gpt wrote:
48 in a 40, guess thats £60 and 3 points then Big Cry

Being as you have got nothing to lose by trying, ask the council or police (whoever is in charge of the camera) to show you the calibration certificate. If the calibration is not accurate and/or has not been checked for a while, there is a loophole in the law which means they can't enforce the ticket because the camera may be giving a false reading.

Worth a try Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #91805 13th Feb 2011 2:29 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

In my force area, you will not be shown the calibration certificate, it will be produced in court if required. You can however make an appointment to go and see the photgraphic evidence prior to court or paying any fine.

Post #91809 13th Feb 2011 2:56 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

speed camera? whats that then, N.Yorks is too civilised for such things Very Happy . The police just hide in the bushes and get you with hand held guns instead.

not had a point on my licence since 1998 , that was in S.Yorks Confused , speed camera whilst I was in a traffic jam....dont ask Rolling Eyes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #91811 13th Feb 2011 3:01 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Points in a traffic jam. How come? Laughing

I have a built in radar detector out of my Evo im selling if anyone wants it Whistle
I drive too much like a granny in the Freelander to warrant the cost of installation.

Oh that's right, they're not allowed in the UK (legally anyway Wink ) DOH!

Post #91818 13th Feb 2011 3:30 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

my mate tried to argue that he wasnt driving his car at the time of being caught by a speed camera, in the end he lost and the fine shot up to £270!! Shocked

Post #91820 13th Feb 2011 3:31 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

AiiEEX wrote:
Points in a traffic jam. How come? Laughing

I was driving to a footy match,stuck in traffic spent a while tuning in to local radio for pre-match report, looked up long gap had opened up infront , feeling daft I rushed to catch up, right past a 30 mph camera Rolling Eyes
I blame my Girlfriend at the time she should have tuned the radio in and if her legs had been less nice I would have been concentrating better (and would have had more sleep the night before Very Happy ) At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #91824 13th Feb 2011 4:30 pm
Junior

England 

s7gpt wrote:

Not necessarily, just cos it has flashed doesn't mean you will hear anything, you have a 14 day wait in which to Censored yourself Crying or Very sad

Post #91835 13th Feb 2011 5:59 pm
andw

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

dont forget that you must recieve a NIP withim 14 days or its not valid and you can refuse to accept the punishment guilty or not

NIP - Notice Of Intended Prosecution.
This is that all important bit that people keep asking me about. It pertains to the 14 day rule that surrounds service of an NIP. As with all traffic offences in the UK, an NIP is required for prosecution to proceed. If you're stopped at the scene however (for example, by a radar-gun-toting traffic policeman), then a verbal NIP is sufficient. Otherwise it must be in writing. So theoretically, if you've not heard anything after 3 weeks, you got away with it. Not, of course, that the police don't get the calculations wrong from time to time - there's no better way to knock the smile off a prosecutors face than to ask if they can prove service of an NIP.
In order to remove some of the mystery from this area - or cast it into a murky grey area depending on your view of things, here are the relevant excerpts from Butterworth's Police Law (Butterworth's Law; ISBN 0406981469). Thanks to Simon Hepworth for help with this information.
Stuff not of interest to the subject of speeding have been omitted, stuff with particular relevance to NIPs and speeding has been underlined

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/Rules_useage/The_Law.htm if you want to read more Thumbs Up

Post #91842 13th Feb 2011 6:44 pm
s7gpt

as it was one of those forward facing speed cams - i understand they use digitasl photos and dont run out of film Crying or Very sad

will do the driving course though if i get chance Thumbs Up freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #91847 13th Feb 2011 7:19 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Junior wrote:
s7gpt wrote:

Not necessarily, just cos it has flashed doesn't mean you will hear anything, you have a 14 day wait in which to Censored yourself Crying or Very sad

Half the cameras dont do anything anyway even though they flash I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #91854 13th Feb 2011 7:48 pm
trevd01

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

If you were in West Yorks, they don't offer the alternative to points. I know this from recent experience... Crying or Very sad

WEST YORKSHIRE CASUALTY REDUCTION PARTNERSHIP wrote:
Question

I’ve heard that in some areas you can take an ’improved driving’ course that costs more than the fine but means you don’t get the penalty points.

Answer

Some police authorities do offer ’speed awareness’ courses as an alternative to penalty points and a fine for speed offences. There is currently no nationally agreed ’speed awareness’ course or method of referral to the course. West Yorkshire Police is currently piloting a speed awareness course with the Kirklees Council’s Driver Training Unit. Whilst the partnership is supportive of the use of effective courses of this type in suitable circumstances, it is currently prevented from referring drivers caught on safety cameras to a speed awareness course. The Government is looking into standardising speed awareness courses and methods of referral of drivers. Until the Government makes some decisions (which will become law), the partnership’s hands are tied.
 Trevor

'60 reg SD4 XS (long gone!)

Post #91857 13th Feb 2011 7:54 pm
s7gpt

was in leeds coming from white rose, typical, really wanted to do the course rather than 3 points on my 'clean licence' Evil or Very Mad freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #91861 13th Feb 2011 8:19 pm
dunroof

The quote from Butterworths is a bit too concise. There are a lot of if's and but's with NIP's like circumstances outwith the Filths control or where the accused has contributed to the delay, like failing to inform the DVLA that they arethe keeper of the vehicle or where numerous NIP's were required to ascertain the driver. E.g a car rental company. The trouble with the instant experts online is thatthey normally lack the LLB qualification.

Post #91862 13th Feb 2011 8:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>