Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Eco Babble (was in Eco Warrior 4x4 Brigade)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Stompy

United Kingdom 
Eco Babble (was in Eco Warrior 4x4 Brigade)

Post from a former life....

Linky: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post72579.html Ex-2009 Freelander 2 HSE Auto owner

christian138 wrote:
Suck it up and move on Thumbs Up

Post #91927 14th Feb 2011 5:43 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

He looked an idiot before voicing his confirmation Rolling Eyes

Lets not kid ourselves, no car is environmentally friendly no matter how much offset and efficiencies it claims to have, and it is something we need to think about. I also have great respect of people that can focus everything in their life to be 'green'.

What I do have a big, big, issue with is the high and mighty attitude of some people that change just one aspect and preach to people that they are the planets savior. I see people all the time buying 'organic' produce that has been flown in from the other side of the world instead of locally grown stuff. I have a friend who harps on about cars and how he doesn't have one out of environmental principle, and then goes on to say that the money he saves allows him to fly to the Canaries 3 times a year.

That stuff gets right up my nose Evil or Very Mad People can be as green and planet aware as they like but unless you live in a bloody tree, keep your mouth shut and dont presume that because I have a taller car than you, that I don't do my bit in other ways.

I drove home in Sport mode just to spite him. Razz For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #91928 14th Feb 2011 5:45 pm
athelstan

This controversial subject is so contentious that rationality and objectivity are almost always suffocated by luxuriant irrationality and subjectivity.

Antagonists moralize in an hedonistic charge of the Light Brigade and likewise, both sides are doomed to self defeat reminiscent of that inglorious gallop.

Unless you walk everywhere you cannot claim superiority (moral or otherwise) over any other mode of transport. Be at ease with the chariot you've chosen and magnanimous in your deflection of the scorn directed towards you. The silence of your triumph will taste so much sweeter.

Carbon trading - I'd rather trade horsesh*t. An august truly "green" enterprise.

Finally, in 1976 I read "Earth in Danger" by Ian Breach & Michael Crawford (ISBN 84.382.0019.2) - I've not read a better balanced book on this subject since and proponents of the bicycle or the truck would benefit from its content.

Post #91994 15th Feb 2011 9:16 am
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

athelstan wrote:
The written word does not baffle or confuse - the Reader does that alone entirely without any outside help.

Before criticising anyone first walk a mile in there shoes......that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes Thumbs Up

However as the mountains are quite a bit more than a mile away ....http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/ 

Post #91995 15th Feb 2011 9:38 am
athelstan

christian138

I am aware of the very beneficial work of the Plain English Society - its output has help many.

Its work also helps to clearly understand the difference between a commentary and observation i.e my previous post, and with that of a critique. I did not criticize anyone - I refer directly to the subject matter as clearly stated in the first sentence.

Post #92004 15th Feb 2011 10:38 am
EYorkshire

There is nothing like a fusillade of acateleptic verbiage to make even the most puerile asseverations seem the acme of sagacious perspicacity. Laughing

If only I knew what it meant Confused

Post #92012 15th Feb 2011 10:48 am
athelstan

EYorkshire wrote:
There is nothing like a fusillade of acateleptic verbiage to make even the most puerile asseverations seem the acme of sagacious perspicacity. Laughing Confused

Whistle

Post #92015 15th Feb 2011 11:05 am
PaulC

United Kingdom 

This is why I am comfortable with my choice of buying a FL2...

http://blogs.thisissaltash.co.uk/snaxmuppe...hey-green/

Post #92048 15th Feb 2011 12:09 pm
athelstan

To quote SnaxMuppet (PC): Interesting eh! Yes, some decent comparisons made and an interesting read, and, you've reached exactly the right conclusion: quote: "comfortable with the choice I made".

Precisely the notion I expressed earlier today at 09:16hrs: "Be at ease with the chariot you've chosen and magnanimous in your deflection of the scorn directed towards you".

All of my cars and motorbikes burn more fuel that her Ladyship's FL2 re mpg and I'm very comfortable with using all of those vehicles. However if I did an annual audit of my fuel consumption driving/riding them I am using less fuel than her because, her exclusive annual mileage is greater than my mine. The holistic data always tips the perspective in this contentious debate.

Post #92056 15th Feb 2011 12:34 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

snaxmuppet "Now I own a modern SUV but by towing a caravan all my holidays are taking without flying and that is a huge saving of CO2 emissions"

Is this is true because caravans grow on trees and no pollution is emited during their construction, delivery, and use.

more eco friendly way would be to holiday in an already constructed holiday cottage, of if you are quite mad a tent. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #92074 15th Feb 2011 2:03 pm
EYorkshire

Quote:
more eco friendly way would be to holiday in an already constructed holiday cottage

or like me, a second hand already constructed caravan Thumbs Up

Post #92077 15th Feb 2011 2:26 pm
PaulC

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
Is this is true because caravans grow on trees and no pollution is emited during their construction, delivery, and use.

more eco friendly way would be to holiday in an already constructed holiday cottage, of if you are quite mad a tent.

... and even more eco-friendly would not holiday at all!

Yes I am absolutely convinced that the CO2 generated in the construction of a caravan is going to be many times less than say 10 years of my holiday flights which is what is replacing.

Like I said... it is all about choices. The holiday cottage may or may not be better but that isn't really the point is it. I did say that there are better choices but my comparison is between holidays abroad (which is what I probably would have done had I not had the FL2 and caravan) and having the FL2 and caravan. My point was not that having the FL2 and caravan is the absolute best green option, but it is not necessarily a bad one given the likely alternatives.

Tent??? NO! Caravanning is camping for whimps and I include myself in that category!

You make your choices and live with them and I make mine... some are good, some are not so good. It is a balance. However, unless you are a saint none of them will be the absolute greenest of the choices available. There will almost always be something greener should we wish to do it. We all have our own level of eco-friendliness that we are comfortable with... for some it is greener than others but providing we are aware of the implication of our own choices and are happy with them then I think that is all we can hope for.

Post #92079 15th Feb 2011 2:46 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

end of the day, there is somebody out there who will complain if you had a hybrid car because its better than there grandfathers push bike thats been handed down through the generation

reading some the posts on the Greenpeace link, Tim's post on how GP messed up the wrong ship, attacked a company who were talking to them about eco friendly ship dismantling, show that GP doesn't know its arse from their elbow, and to back that up look at those laughable excuses of people who man that ship on Whale Wars, disowned by GP, and i bet they still have a few membership muppets who wave the GP cards at every opportunity Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #92081 15th Feb 2011 2:58 pm
EYorkshire

At the end of the day we all know the world is doomed Sad and cannot sustain itself with humans present behaviour but more importantly we should be worrying about over population and starvation.
Sex should be banned and everyone should have an allotment. Idea otherwise the film "Soylent Green" could become a reality.

Post #92086 15th Feb 2011 3:19 pm
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Unfortunately 4x4's are an easy target, some years ago I read a report from what is called the Dust to dust carbon effect of cars. This included the total carbon cost of designing, producing, fueling and scrapping the car over it's total lifespan. I have to admit it was sponsered by Jeep but their conclusion was the mosy enviormentally friendly car was a jeep CJ5. How can this be, because a huge amount of a vehciles Dust to dust carbon emesion comes from it's production, not it's use of fuel. The average CJ5 last about 25yrs and is simple to build without all of the rare minerals an electric car needs.

The greens shout we should all use electric cars, great if you never travel further than 75 miles in one go, therwise you need two cars, one electric for local trips and one for longer jouneys.
I average about 10,000 miles a year at 214 gramms emission, Someone with a small petrol car for example a Ford Focus 1.6 which shove out 179 grammes driving 20,000 miles will produce far more CO2 than me but doesn't get rocks thrown at them as they drive though the streets.

I think we do need to get CO2 emissions down and car manufacturers have made, and continue to make huge strides in this area. It doesn't take a genius to work out the real problem is in population growth, more people to feed with diminishing resouces = the real problem, so please Mr and Mrs Green (although it's more likley to be Non gender specific person and their significant orther) let me enjoy the car I have worked hard to buy I am really not a bad person.

Post #92088 15th Feb 2011 3:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>