« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Wonky Button
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Wonky Button

One really petty thing that really used to bug me on my first FL2 was that the Engine Start/Stop button wasn’t quite straight. It was only probably one or two degrees anti-clockwise, hardly enough to even notice, until I did notice it and then I just couldn’t help noticing it. I never got the dealer to do anything about it, as I thought I was probably becoming over-obsessive over something so petty that would possibly be a big job to rectify, and even then it would probably end up like when you try and hang a picture straight, and never get it quite right.

So when I finally picked up my new FL2 at the weekend, I was looking forward to a “straight” start button, but this one’s even worse! It's blatantly not straight, probably about 5 degrees or so out. Surely this can’t just be me? Is anyone else’s button wonky? I guess some of you are going to hate me if it is but you hadn’t noticed yet. I would have thought with it being a circular button, LR would have fitted some guides to make sure it was fitted true.

Gnarrrrrrrrrrrrr! I’m not normally this obsessive, honest! Rolling Eyes

Post #5998 3rd Sep 2007 11:56 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi NightFox,

I'm 100% with you, the very first thing I noticed on sitting in my car for the first time was the 'wonky' starter button. As with yours its only one or two degrees out but it jumps out at me every time I see the button. Interestingly my thoughts about getting it adjusted/fixed are exactly the same as yours too. You just don't know if they'll make it any better, or more likely just set it to a different angle Rolling with laughter

I drove two other FL2's last week, a dealer loan car where the button was slightly off and a Land Rover Experience vehicle which was absolutely spot on, how pleasing it was to see that! Hell, that makes me sound really sad. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I'm glad you've mentioned this because I've come close to posting about it on this forum a couple of times, but then backed away for fear of folks thinking I am a bit of a ******! But since you've mentioned it I have no problem in now showing my 'obsessive' view.

Just to carry on the theme and confirm my obsessive nature I'll mention number plates that are mounted 'slightly off', thats another one that winds me up ...

OOps, its nearly 1pm, time for my next pill nurse!

Post #5999 3rd Sep 2007 12:42 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My guess is that the button may be as simple as being pushed through from the front with a nut then fastened on the rear to secure it in place, which if the case should be really easy to adjust.

Probably the reaso for it not being straight is simply not enough time taken by the fitter to install it correctly, but also maybe they are leaning into the car to secure it, so it does look straight to them.

I would not think it acceptable and would definately get the dealer to straighten it.

Post #6003 3rd Sep 2007 1:15 pm
NightFox

Gambba wrote:
My guess is that the button may be as simple as being pushed through from the front with a nut then fastened on the rear to secure it in place, which if the case should be really easy to adjust.

It's the issue of actually getting to the nut that bothers me though. It could just be a matter of reaching up behind it, or on the other hand it could be several hours of dash removal to get at it. Any then I'm going to worry that removed and replaced dash = creaky dash.

Post #6004 3rd Sep 2007 1:22 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I too hate things like this and thanks for this guys...I am now beating myself up, to not look at it, but it is like a moth to a light bulb, or trying not to chew a Fruit Pastil....I am fighting the urge to look Twisted Evil . Due to a hip problem my left leg isalmost an inch short so I am hoping if my button is at an angle it matches the way I lean Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #6010 3rd Sep 2007 1:49 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

you could always make a little sticker which says 'Start/Stop Sometimes' and carefully stick it over the button Laughing

Post #6018 3rd Sep 2007 4:50 pm
looney_loey

United States 

just drive with your head tilted Rolling with laughter Do Not Follow Me...You Can't Go Where I Go!!!

.....up in the tree!!!

Post #6032 3rd Sep 2007 6:12 pm
NightFox

boiledgnat wrote:
you could always make a little sticker which says 'Start/Stop Sometimes' and carefully stick it over the button Laughing

Hmm... I see a marketting opportunity here, like replacement covers for phones...

Smiley button, "Launch Nuclear Missile" button, pictures of loved ones/pets, LR logo, etc etc etc. Maybe even a stylishly-minimalist plain black?

Post #6040 3rd Sep 2007 7:24 pm
avtur

NightFox wrote:
boiledgnat wrote:

Hmm... I see a marketting opportunity here, like replacement covers for phones...

Smiley button, "Launch Nuclear Missile" button, pictures of loved ones/pets, LR logo, etc etc etc. Maybe even a stylishly-minimalist plain black?

If we had a stylishly-minimalist plain black button at least we wouldn't have the orientation problem!!

Post #6059 3rd Sep 2007 9:25 pm
avtur

If you want to take this detail 'thing' a bit further; what about the fuel filler cap with the word 'diesel' written across it. Whenever I fill up I have to turn the cap until the 'diesel' caption is upright and level .... oh dear, sad but true ...... nurse is it time for my next pill yet ????

Post #6060 3rd Sep 2007 9:28 pm
NightFox

avtur wrote:
NightFox wrote:
boiledgnat wrote:

If we had a stylishly-minimalist plain black button at least we wouldn't have the orientation problem!!

I bet some dealers could still manage to make a hash of it.

Post #6064 3rd Sep 2007 9:32 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Knitted Knob Cover

Another useful item would be a little knitted cover to go on the terrain response selector knob. On the one occasion this year when it was sunny, my wife complained incessantly that the sun reflecting off my shiney knob was giving her a headache. Ho hum.

Post #6075 3rd Sep 2007 10:17 pm
carlfraz

Good news Thumbs Up MY START STOP IS STRAIGHT Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Got my spirit level out just to make sure and Yep Perfect. Had to let the two nearside tyres down to achieve this which is probably why the fuel consumption is now so crap Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Not wishing to reveal too much Avtur but do your tins of beans all face forward in the cupboard??? When me and the wife got together we both had CD collections in alphabetical order - sheer bliss I thought Exclamation Exclamation BUT NO Exclamation Crying or Very sad Big Cry Upon opening her CD covers she did not put the CD's in straight I had to go through her whole collection spinning the words to the top of the disc holder.

Just been out to the car 'diesel' now at the top and the centre caps for the wheels all read 'Land Rover' horizontally now Whistle Whistle Ahh and relax!!!!.........................

Post #6077 3rd Sep 2007 10:19 pm
NightFox

Thanks goodness it's not just me who files food alphabetically in the freezer then...

But what about the covers for the 12v power outlets - which way are they meant to face? Towards driver? to the front? To the rear? Can't find any official guidance on the LR site. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post #6082 3rd Sep 2007 10:21 pm
carlfraz

Depends if you are LHD or RHD thats why they can spin Whistle Laughing

Post #6087 3rd Sep 2007 10:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>