Home > My Freelander 2 > RIDE QUALITY SD4 HSE VS SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
jay_72

South Africa 
RIDE QUALITY SD4 HSE VS SE

Hi all,

I have booked my first landrover, FL2 SD4 HSE. I test drove an SE version that comes with 18inch wheels and the ride quality was very impressive.However I read a report where it is mentioned that the ride quality for HSE ( comes with 19 inch wheels as standard here in SA) is significantly poor compared to SE model with 18inch wheels. Since one of the reasons I chose the FL2 over BMW X3 was the quality of ride I am not sure if I should review my decision.I can't get an SD4 HSE to test drive as these vehicles are by and far few.I will appreciate the response of members with an insight or experience in this regard.

Post #88972 21st Jan 2011 12:25 pm
hutchingsp

With most cars the general consensus is that bigger wheels look great and on a perfect road surface ride great, but on "normal UK roads" (no idea what South African roads are like) bigger wheels just give a harsher ride with uneven surfaces and cause the car to tramline more into ruts.

In short, big wheels are to look better, not to make the ride better.

Last edited by hutchingsp on 21st Jan 2011 10:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #89021 21st Jan 2011 7:05 pm
ad210358

England 

I had 18" and went up to 19" but to be honest hardly noticed any differance, then went to 17" for winter, now there was a differance, a lot more roll in the corners and a softer ride. If you were happy with 18" you won't notice much going to 19". p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #89049 21st Jan 2011 8:32 pm
jay_72

South Africa 

Thank you for your response.Today I managed to speak to one of the outlets and they have a vehicle with 19 inch wheels which I will be test driving on Monday.The roads in this part of the country where I reside are particularly bad that is why I am so concerned.The issue of 'kerbing' with larger tyres was mentioned elsewhere in the same forum.However there is no mentioning of drop in ride quality.Will post my feedback after the testdrive on Monday.Cheers

Post #89303 22nd Jan 2011 7:53 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Driving even properly "offroad" with 19" is not a problem. Thumbs Up 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #89332 22nd Jan 2011 11:54 pm
zoey

United States 

I would also suggest the the type of tire you fit could/will significantly contribute to the plush/harsh ride experience.

Post #89333 23rd Jan 2011 4:11 am
peterrose1

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

If I might add my experience to the discussion; I just collected a (new to me) 3 year old HSE from the dealers yesterday and the ride makes me feel physically sick. It's really embarrassing. It's a great looker and got some great features, including the driving position. But the ride!!!!! I've never been in anything like it and I've had a lot of cars from sports cars to top of the range SUV's. Right now times aren't as good as they have been so I've downsized to this. Naturally I bought the car with all good intentions and the dealer was spot on. I was stunned to start feeling sick after about 10 miles on gentle, good quality country roads. Motorway is better although the fuel economy seemed to be rapidly decreasing even at a lightly-throttled 70mph. I was expecting to be well into the low 40's at least. It's a great looker and build quality is good. God only knows what it is with the ride but it really unsettles me. I must say I don't have any confidence going into corners either. I think it's called 'under-steer' but to me that equates to 'is it going to around this bend or keep going in a straight line'. My out-going A8 has spoilt me I guess but I've never felt sick just driving a car.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Post #89401 23rd Jan 2011 5:31 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

not sure what to advise with relation to the car making you feel sick (no doubt CG will mention the colour as he isnt a fan of Rimini Red), perhaps ask the dealer to let you test drive another to see if you tell any difference in ride quality?

With reference to cornering, I would suggest your former A8 has spoilt you, I came from a BMW Coupe which was brilliant in cornering but remember the FL2 has a high centre of gravity and weight 2 tonnes so wont respond in the same way as your A8 Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #89404 23rd Jan 2011 5:53 pm
hutchingsp

Are you sure it's the ride making you feel sick? I know it might sound a patronising question but I've had a similar sensation in a previous car and it took a while for the penny to drop that it was a new air freshener doing the job - the only time (and much to my shame) that I've ever littered but that thing simply had to go before I puked.

Might be worth getting the handling checked out - I'm coming into one from a Boxster which is renowned for handling but I didn't think the FL2 seemed unsafe or anything (except when I forgot I had cruise on and it tried to go around a hairpin bend at 30mph).

Post #89405 23rd Jan 2011 6:01 pm
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

hutchingsp wrote:
Are you sure it's the ride making you feel sick? I know it might sound a patronising question but I've had a similar sensation in a previous car and it took a while for the penny to drop that it was a new air freshener doing the job - the only time (and much to my shame) that I've ever littered but that thing simply had to go before I puked.

Might be worth getting the handling checked out - I'm coming into one from a Boxster which is renowned for handling but I didn't think the FL2 seemed unsafe or anything (except when I forgot I had cruise on and it tried to go around a hairpin bend at 30mph).

Same as me mate Boxster to FL2. Thumbs Up
Boxster is a great car, got to be honest I miss mine in the summer. Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #89410 23rd Jan 2011 6:48 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Boxer wrote:
hutchingsp wrote:

Same as me mate Boxster to FL2. Thumbs Up
Boxster is a great car, got to be honest I miss mine in the summer.

Me too. Boxster S to a Cayman S to an FL2. FL2 was surprisingly good in the corners - ok, a little bit soft, but it IS a 4x4. didnt't feel sick at all. Most cars are more capable than MOST drivers - never foget that!!! Wink Chris

Post #89424 23rd Jan 2011 7:46 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I went from a BMW coupe' to the FL2 and was very surprised at the cornering ability of the FL2 and general firmness of the ride. O.k it isn't up to the same standards when throwing it around curvy country lanes, but it makes up for it in other ways, i.e. ride height, less tyre noise, probably less engine noise at cruising speeds "I had a 2.0ltr Diesel" and although the Beamer was very comfortable, I would choose the FL2 over it for long haul driving anytime.

@ peterrose1 What wheel/tyre combination do you have on your Freelander? I believe some have experienced more roll on cornering after fitting smaller wheels with higher profile tyres over the standard, also after fitting all terrain tyres.

Post #89430 23rd Jan 2011 8:10 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Check tyre pressure. It effects the cornering very dramatically. If it does not help, new tyres might help or you have misalignment or faulty suspension. Driving another one to compare is always a good idea.

I am coming from an audi and I find Fl2 ok for a suv. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #89438 23rd Jan 2011 9:26 pm
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Any of you guys previously or currently on box.net? Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #89454 23rd Jan 2011 11:12 pm
jay_72

South Africa 

[quote="Wing"]I went from a BMW coupe' to the FL2 and was very surprised at the cornering ability of the FL2 and general firmness of the ride. O.k it isn't up to the same standards when throwing it around curvy country lanes, but it makes up for it in other ways, i.e. ride height, less tyre noise, probably less engine noise at cruising speeds "I had a 2.0ltr Diesel" and although the Beamer was very comfortable, I would choose the FL2 over it for long haul driving anytime.

Thank you for all your feedbacks. Wing, your response is interesting,I am sort of in a huge dilemma right now, though made a booking for FL2.The new X3 has very impressive drive characteristics, plus an advanced start stop diesel with projected fuel consumption way superior to FL2.I noticed an irritating lag between stop and go in the SD4,which i didn't anticipate, while the Beemer had a very linear acceleration.The seating is high in the X3 but i liked FL more.However I am concerned about the offroading ability of X3 though I am only into mild /moderate offroading which I suppose the X3 can undertake.Test driving a Td4,SD4 and X3 tomorrow.Wondering if any of you would have considered the X3 over FL2 considering the new technology and fuel efficiency.

Post #89498 24th Jan 2011 10:04 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>