Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > RIDE QUALITY SD4 HSE VS SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I considered just about everything before I decided on the FL2. I looked at the X3 which I didn't even like the look of at the time, match that with the poor off road ability and it was a none starter for me. The new version however looks far better and does appear to be more capable off road than its predecessor, although I just spec'd one up to a similar spec FL2 and it came in around £4000 above the FL2. Looking at the figures, I don't think there is enough difference in MPG between the X3 and new FL2 to make that a deciding factor.

What finally made my mind up was a mix of the free 1/2 day off road, where I found out what the FL2 could really do and with a high comfort level, the spec of the HSE compared to most of the 'add on extras' of the other big players and the great deal I managed to get. I doubt that BMW or Audi would be anywhere near as generous with a discount.

Good luck with your testing Thumbs Up

Post #89531 24th Jan 2011 5:21 pm
peterrose1

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

Well thanks for the suggestions folks but there isn't an air freshener in the car. As far as being spoilt is concerned, yes I have been but In recent years I've had 2 TT's, 2 A6's, x-trail, XC90, 2 ML's, V70, 530M, 2 Octavia's, Micra and the list goes on. I've had a lot of cars and a lot of fun and the only one prior to this which was a problem was the second ML which gave me chronic backache almost instantly. Oh and the badly resprayed A6 sold to me by an Audi main dealer (that's why I had 2 A6's! What a fiasco!!).

I note also that if you google 'feeling sick in a freelander' there's quite a bit of stuff comes up....no pun intended Laughing

Anyway, I'm now at the mercy of the main dealer it appears. We'll see how customer friendly they turn out to be. I want to return the car (which I'm not using at all) and walk away. I live in hope of a happy ending but I'm expecting some pain. Rolling Eyes

Post #89742 25th Jan 2011 10:16 pm
peterrose1

Thank you Wing/Winter....I don't know about the wheel and tyre combo right now but I know it has the 18" wheels. I've bought it from a main dealer and I should be able to trust them in that respect.....shouldn't I Whistle

I'm wondering if there's anything in the set-up though. There is a vibration on the steering which appears at about 60mph in a straight line. It has the effect of making the steering wheel turn very slightly and very quickly from left to right, back and forth (am I describing this ok?) I flagged this up on the test drive and the dealer said they'd checked it and the steering was very slightly out but nothing more. But they haven't solved the problem. I suspect shockers actually and I suppose this could cause the ride to be softer and rollierer (I invented a word!) than it should be. Maybe I should just go and vom' in the showroom Thud Thud

Post #89744 25th Jan 2011 10:28 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

jay_72 wrote:
However I am concerned about the offroading ability of X3 though I am only into mild /moderate offroading which I suppose the X3 can undertake.

I wouldn't use X3 and offroad words in the same sentence. Whistle 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #89805 26th Jan 2011 4:59 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

peterrose1 wrote:
Thank you Wing/Winter....I don't know about the wheel and tyre combo right now but I know it has the 18" wheels. I've bought it from a main dealer and I should be able to trust them in that respect.....shouldn't I Whistle

I'm wondering if there's anything in the set-up though. There is a vibration on the steering which appears at about 60mph in a straight line. It has the effect of making the steering wheel turn very slightly and very quickly from left to right, back and forth (am I describing this ok?) I flagged this up on the test drive and the dealer said they'd checked it and the steering was very slightly out but nothing more. But they haven't solved the problem. I suspect shockers actually and I suppose this could cause the ride to be softer and rollierer (I invented a word!) than it should be. Maybe I should just go and vom' in the showroom Thud Thud

If you have vibration on a FL2, then better stay away from that one. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #89806 26th Jan 2011 5:01 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

peterrose1 wrote:

I had exactly the same as you in my new to me 57 SE... spotted wheel wobble in test drive, was told it was fixed but when I got it it still had it and also suffered from car sickness (although I did come out of a 330i M sport which has very stiff suspension in comparison)

I ended up changing my wheels & tyres anyway but still had the wobble, however when I took it back to the dealer they sorted everything and the wobble has gone... it would seam that due to the large wheels they are a bit sensative to balancing but it does come right.

As for feeling sick, I've heard people suggest it could be flat spots on the tyres, dodgy shocks and possibly bacteria in the aircon - all contributing factors but I put my own personal experience down to driving style and getting used to the rather soft drive compared to other german saloons. I now love the car, dont feel sick and feel confident driving it round corners at speeds that you just would not think a 4x4 can do.

Definitly get your dealer to sort the wobble. Drive another FL if you think it is your car but otherwise I would just try and give it a chance, change your driving style to suit the car and fingers crossed you'll not be blowing any more chuncks Thumbs Up Wink Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #89808 26th Jan 2011 5:17 pm
PaulC

United Kingdom 

Jay, the SD4 doesn't have "stop and go". Were you driving the TD4e manual? AFAIK that is the only one that has stop/go technology... unless I am misunderstanding you?

Post #89810 26th Jan 2011 5:34 pm
jay_72

South Africa 

You are right Paul,SD4 doesn't have stop/start function.I was referring to stopping manually at intersections.

Post #89905 27th Jan 2011 11:02 am
jay_72

South Africa 

Yesterday I managed to test drive the above vehicles.Here is a brief feedback
The SD4 with its 19 inch didn't feel in any way different to the one with 18 inch wheels while driving within the city. The lag which I experienced during my previous test drive on an SD4 was not at all present with this vehicle!!
During my comparison between TD4 and X3 at a previous test drive I had found the new X3 to be far more entertaining to drive with regard to acceleration. This time switching from SD4 I hardly found any appreciable difference in terms of acceleration between the two vehicles. Needless to mention I enjoyed the high seating position of the LR2. I can't comment on the engine noise since it was raining heavy. Driving at more than 130Km/hr within the city both the vehicles handled very well. The BM's interior gave a feeling of spaciousness (perhaps due of the lack of arm rests and less buttons on the console) I wish the new LR came with an state of the art display system for radio and a more modern dial with lots of clarity..
The ride quality of the XC60 was appreciably firm. The vehicle in most reviews is mentioned to be slow. However I differ in my opinion in this regard. If you are looking at acceleration for overtaking vehicles in tricky situation this engine definitely carries enough punch.
I will go with the LR2 SD4 of the three vehicles. It certainly offers more value for money in my opinion. I hope those who tried these three vehicles will post their feedback as most of the reviews are biased in my opinion

Post #89959 27th Jan 2011 7:56 pm
jay_72

South Africa 
LR2 SD4 VS BMW X3 2D & VOLVO XC60 2D

Yesterday I managed to test drive the above vehicles.Here is a brief feedback
The SD4 with its 19 inch didn't feel in any way different to the one with 18 inch wheels while driving within the city. The lag which I experienced during my previous test drive on an SD4 was not at all present with this vehicle!!
During my comparison between TD4 and X3 at a previous test drive I had found the new X3 to be far more entertaining to drive with regard to acceleration. This time switching from SD4 I hardly found any appreciable difference in terms of acceleration between the two vehicles. Needless to mention I enjoyed the high seating position of the LR2. I can't comment on the engine noise since it was raining heavy. Driving at more than 130Km/hr within the city both the vehicles handled very well. The BM's interior gave a feeling of spaciousness (perhaps due of the lack of arm rests and less buttons on the console) I wish the new LR came with an state of the art display system for radio and a more modern dial with lots of clarity..
The ride quality of the XC60 was appreciably firm. The vehicle in most reviews is mentioned to be slow. However I differ in my opinion in this regard. If you are looking at acceleration for overtaking vehicles in tricky situation this engine definitely carries enough punch.
I will go with the LR2 SD4 of the three vehicles. It certainly offers more value for money in my opinion. I hope those who tried these three vehicles will post their feedback as most of the reviews out there doesn't make much sense to me.
Thumbs Up

Post #89960 27th Jan 2011 7:57 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand
Re: LR2 SD4 VS BMW X3 2D & VOLVO XC60 2D

jay_72 wrote:

I will go with the LR2 SD4 of the three vehicles. It certainly offers more value for money in my opinion. I hope those who tried these three vehicles will post their feedback as most of the reviews out there doesn't make much sense to me.
Thumbs Up

FWIW I ended up with a straight choice between the SD4 and the XC60. I chose the SD4. The XC60 has a nice driving position and controls, but as you said the ride is firm - too firm for me.

In passing, having driven a number of 4x4/SUVs in recent months I was surprised by how firm most of them were - only the Jeep had as forgiving a ride as the FL2 and, of course, it's nowhere near as good in other departments. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #90039 28th Jan 2011 5:13 pm
jay_72

South Africa 
booked my first landrover

After many months of research,intense debates and multiple test driving sessions, today I booked my frst landrover, FL2 SD4 HSE (comes with sunroof,xenons,privacy glass,satnav,6way drivers seat with memory etc) The color is fuji white with almond color seats and piano black interior.The vehicle will be delivered by end of May.Getting ready to go anywhere Very Happy

Post #91361 8th Feb 2011 8:29 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Congratulations, great choice of car.
I did a few months of reading, weighing up the odds and visiting the dealers/opposition before I went with my Fl2. Almost 9 months later I'm still 100% certain I made the right choice. Thumbs Up

Post #91363 8th Feb 2011 8:38 pm
peterrose1

Brianabbot - I test drove the XC60 a couple of times but thought it was a tad pricey for me but infinitely superior to the Freelander......so why did I buy a Freelander? I ask myself the same question and I dont know the answer.
Regarding my Freelander, I found other things that weren't quite right about this particular FL like it had some front end paintwork done which was never admitted to. It had 2 previous owners when they told me it had only one. The fault with the steering (I'm told) is a front prop shaft issue which is apparently quite common. Anyway, the car has gone back to the lying, conmen at the main dealers and they kept back £1000 of my money. Now I've recovered my sanity I've ordered a brand new Skoda Superb estate 4X4 which is an infinitely better, brand new car and suits my needs perfectly. I will not go near Land Rover again nor their dealerships.

Post #91382 8th Feb 2011 11:49 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

peterrose1 wrote:
Brianabbot - I test drove the XC60 a couple of times but thought it was a tad pricey for me but infinitely superior to the Freelander......so why did I buy a Freelander? I ask myself the same question and I dont know the answer.
Regarding my Freelander, I found other things that weren't quite right about this particular FL like it had some front end paintwork done which was never admitted to. It had 2 previous owners when they told me it had only one. The fault with the steering (I'm told) is a front prop shaft issue which is apparently quite common. Anyway, the car has gone back to the lying, conmen at the main dealers and they kept back £1000 of my money. Now I've recovered my sanity I've ordered a brand new Skoda Superb estate 4X4 which is an infinitely better, brand new car and suits my needs perfectly. I will not go near Land Rover again nor their dealerships.

I'll agree that some of the LR dealers aren't good to deal with - but then I guess the same can be said for most car brands.

The FL2 is a good car - for me certainly better than the XC60 - I suspect your bad experience with the stealer has coloured your feelings ... Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #91388 9th Feb 2011 8:19 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>