Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Freelander 2 TD4 Engine Oil Change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
peter2704

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Barolo Black
first oil change on the f2 gs ,this oil ok?

Looking around and with ford /LR now using a wss.....C spec oil The question is will i be ok with mobil 3000X1fe 5w/30? It seems to cover the spec required,or does anyone recommend any other quality oil,and does a filter /oil change use 5.4L of oil.also do you guys bother with a flush? on the service sheets it states an flush used and injection system additive ,what are these?

cheers peter
This post has been edited by the site administration team
Merged in to current thread on same subject

Post #165578 29th Dec 2012 11:30 am
alex_pescaru

Yes, your oil is OK.
Any 5W30 that complies with Ford and LR recommendation is OK.
Browse a little this topic and for sure you'll find answers to your questions...

Post #165616 29th Dec 2012 9:12 pm
geoff.c

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
Oil price

chrisg.007 wrote:
Hi, newbie here. Anyone looking for oil. I purchased 4 x 5 ltrs of ford 5/30 fully synthetic oil for just under £68 (delivered)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cart/view.html

Even considering that Ford Formula "F", is normally a comparatively cheap price, you have a bargain there Chris.
Usually, you would expect nearer 85 quid for that purchase.

Post #165673 30th Dec 2012 7:46 pm
peter2704

mobil ok
ford f ok
castrol ok
any others???

Post #165681 30th Dec 2012 10:02 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

OK did my first oil change on the FL2

Which clown thought that would be an acceptable position for the filter Question
Got her up on ramps, removed the underbody protection and sump cover, drained the oil.

And waited for the magic swivel headed spanner from Amazon, with the guaranteed 1pm delivery.
By 3pm I had an email saying it wouldn't be here until after the new year holiday.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
OK you can get the filter off using a 27mm combination spanner - it takes a long time, and you loose a good bit of skin. Just to cheer you up it says 25NM on the end of the filter housing, how on earth are you going to get a socket and torque wrench in there without removing the radiators?

Then you remember you are going to loose as much skin putting the new filter back.

Rant over - wet through, covered in oil, hungry, still it beats shopping in the sales Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #165757 31st Dec 2012 6:56 pm
chrisg.007

England 

[quote="Andy131"]OK did my first oil change on the FL2

Which clown thought that would be an acceptable position for the filter Question
Got her up on ramps, removed the underbody protection and sump cover, drained the oil.

And waited for the magic swivel headed spanner from Amazon, with the guaranteed 1pm delivery.
By 3pm I had an email saying it wouldn't be here until after the new year holiday.

OK you can get the filter off using a 27mm combination spanner - it takes a long time, and you loose a good bit of skin. Just to cheer you up it says 25NM on the end of the filter housing, how on earth are you going to get a socket and torque wrench in there without removing the radiators?

Then you remember you are going to loose as much skin putting the new filter back.

Happy neaw year all.
Who put the oil filter there? i guess its a uni' graduate that has never worked on a vehicle, but dont forget the 2.2 engine first appeared in the ford mondeo and then the jaguar x type and the filter ponited in a downward direction-
excellet. So someone has moved it,me being a sinic,maybe to stop us home machanics doing are own servicing.!
chris

Post #165886 2nd Jan 2013 8:25 pm
peter2704

well just done my first fl2 oil/filter change.Oil easy ,filter a bit of a Censored ,thank god for 27mm rachet spanners Thumbs Up
I wonder if the filters get left sometimes at servicing ?????

Post #168116 19th Jan 2013 3:30 pm
chrisg.007

England 

I'm sure that if you go to an independant garage that may be the case. As for a main dealer would depend on the individual mechanic I guess.

Post #168144 19th Jan 2013 6:08 pm
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi!
Asked for a price from a dealer on my 120k service. In the quote he put Valvoline Synpower FE 0w30 oil............I have a 2007 without DPF. Is this ok??

I see on Valvolines homepage that:
Synpower FE 0w30:
Performance Levels/Approvals
API SL/SJ/CF, ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5, Volvo

Synpower FE 5w30:
Performance Levels/ Approvals
ACEA A5/B5, Ford* M2C913-C, Ford M2C913 A & B

So as you see. I need to mix the 2 to meet LR specs of A1\B1, A5\B5 and M2C913B....... FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #168972 25th Jan 2013 12:23 pm
redlabel

Anyone? FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #169309 27th Jan 2013 9:02 am
alex_pescaru

As your car is out of warranty, it's more your responsibility than the dealer's and therefore ask the dealer to comply with the manufacturer specifications and to use the Synpower FE 5w30.
They can't argue with that because it's the same A5/B5 and also complies with Ford M2C913-A/B/C. And it's 5W30 as is written everywhere for this engine, not 0W30.
If I would be in this situation, this is what I'll do.

Post #169334 27th Jan 2013 11:40 am
redlabel

Thanks Alex Smile My thoughs aswell. Just needed to hear it from someone that knows what they are talking about.... Thumbs Up FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #169341 27th Jan 2013 12:22 pm
Silverbodgie

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

[quote="chrisg.007"]

Andy131 wrote:
OK did my first oil change on the FL2

Happy neaw year all.
Who put the oil filter there? i guess its a uni' graduate that has never worked on a vehicle, but dont forget the 2.2 engine first appeared in the ford mondeo and then the jaguar x type and the filter ponited in a downward direction-
excellet. So someone has moved it,me being a sinic,maybe to stop us home machanics doing are own servicing.!
chris

In answer to your question about the filter placement, nothing surprises me of vehicles built in the UK. Whilst I'm mightily impressed with my Freelander I've got to say that the filter replacement procedure is typical of Landrovers of old.

Now I can say this with some experience as I commenced my apprenticeship on Landrovers back in the sixties and seventies in Aus. I also worked on Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Humber and Daimler. I found when compared to Australian or American built vehicles they were overly complicated, difficult to work on and costly to repair. What's changed after all these years??

How did they stack up in reliability? Not well. But could they beat the opposition in many 4WD situations, yes hands down.

It would be nice if Landrover could think of us, the buyers of their vehicles as well as their Dealers when it comes to servicing. Providing relevant information regarding servicing would go a long way of keeping us connected. The Japanese do it so why can't Landrover. Thank god for this forum.
Regards
Peter Question Big Cry

Last edited by Silverbodgie on 4th Feb 2013 10:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #170405 4th Feb 2013 8:40 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Oil filter change

Peter Willey wrote:
I have a 2007 Freelander 2, nice to drive but too much Ford in it, not the build quality of the previous model.

Sorry , I cant agree. Had 3 FL1 and 2 FL2. The FL2 is so much a better car in all respects. Both our FL2 have been utterly reliable unlike the previous FL1s. Dont get me wrong the FL1s werent terrible to be honest just not as good as the FL2s. Jules

Post #170406 4th Feb 2013 9:06 am
Jimski

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

So to clarify.....for DPF FL2's......LR are now specifying a 'C' spec 5w-30 oil, is this correct?

I need to buy a top up for the boot and obviously have no idea what it was filled with at birth so to speak!! So just want to make sure I'm using correctly specified gloopy stuff when required between services.

Thanks,

Jimski 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto
2013 FL2 - Black Edition Manual GONE!
Founder of the 'Microscopic LR Spoiler Badge Club'
Destroyer of chrome rears.....

Post #170574 5th Feb 2013 1:35 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>