« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > How good is your FL2??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
beerok

How good is your FL2??

Evening all,

I've been a watcher on Disco3.co.uk for a number of months.
I really was thinking of buying one and have wanted too on several occasions. I always get worried and concerned about the costs if things go wrong, as the D3 does seem to have reliability issues.

SWMBO has said to me on regular occasions to have a look at a FL2 and I've always had the opinion that its not a proper 4x4 Whistle sorry!!!

Until today that is......I had a good look around my brother in laws dads.
I was really impressed.

How good are they?
Are they all 4x4 and if so, do they all have the dial settings for snow/ mud etc etc ??

I think I could be test driving this weekend..... Wink Thumbs Up

Post #86574 5th Jan 2011 7:56 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Heres me driving along an optional route in Keilder forest that many of the D3 lads would not try. So yes the fl2 is fine off road, ground clearance being the only drawback, but if you ride the ruts and not fall into them its no problem.

Fl2's over and above the 'S' have the terrain response dial. new one may have it on all models not sure

http://www.freel2.com/forum/post35000.html#35000

around here the fl2 is a mans car D3's are shopping trolleys/people carriers for their wives At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #86575 5th Jan 2011 8:16 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

I have both a FL2 and D3 in the garage (both autos) and have had both off road. I can confirm they are both 'proper' 4x4s Very Happy

Assuming you have the right tyres and have learned to drive off-road then as CG says the only real issue is ground clearance. The D3 can lift itself on the air suspension whereas the FL2 is fixed height and lower. Other than that I have found there is little to split them for general off roading. Obviously the D3 is bigger, has a low ratio box, seats 7, can tow more etc etc but it depends what you need. The D3 also costs a fair bit more to buy, does less to the gallon and, as you say, some have had reliability issues.

I bought the D3 first (needed the size for my dogs), was going to get another but opted for a well spec'd FL2 instead - I have not had any regrets so far - I even chose to drive it instead of the D3 in the recent snow

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7396.html

That said, the FL2 is simply not big enough when we go away or I take all the dogs out so it will be staying

One other point (which I did not expect) - friends & family (admittedly the ones who know nothing about cars generally) always seem more impressed with the FL2 Confused

Post #86586 5th Jan 2011 8:56 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I spent a great New Years Day in the company of Range Rovers, Disco's, a Defender and a Jeep on the Honiton Experience Centres event. Our 3 year old GS did everything that they did with just a little extra guidance in 2 places where ground clearance was tight. The only problems that I had were due to the river crossing loosening the front number plate and one of the shields around the prop-shaft deciding to rub. Both easily fixed.
As others have said it's great on snow and ice with the proviso that if there is no grip, anti lock brakes can't work, and you are trying to stop a very heavy car.
If I can work out how to put up some pic's I'll put some that SWMBO took of the others. Afraid there aren't any of Freelanders as we were the only one and we were in it!

Post #86589 5th Jan 2011 8:59 pm
yaugher

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

I have a D3 auto HSE (56) (for work , towing and play) with 55k miles on it, and bought a new FL2 auto hse ( 60) used for our family car , both land rovers are fantastic cars... both very good on and off road. I cant fault either model but the D3 hse has better spec than the FL2 hse, (ie fl2 has no fridge headlights that dont turn L&R etc....

I am seeing my dealer next week to trade D3 in for a D4 at around £50k!....
my only grumble is that drop in value (D3 £34K now worth about £20k!!) Sept 1 2010 Now the PROUD owner of Galway Green Auto Diesel HSE

Post #86592 5th Jan 2011 9:06 pm
beerok

Thanks very much for your replies.

As regards towing, how are the FL2's?

I have a twin wheeled 1800kg tintent.....will I manage??

Post #86632 5th Jan 2011 11:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I tow 1500kg s/a without any issues, others tow heavier and I've not read any problems that I can recall Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #86633 5th Jan 2011 11:08 pm
ad210358

England 

I would not expect 1800kgs to be any bother, they have a 2000kgs limit but there are members on here towing 1800kgs with no issues, like NP 1500kgs is a breeze. Previously had a Disco TD5 and the FL2 is a much better tow vehicle. Thumbs Up

Post #86636 5th Jan 2011 11:14 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

FL2 is fantastic in the snow. Fantastic otherwise also. Have had mine for three years now, and I still love the car. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #87963 14th Jan 2011 6:27 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

You'll have no issues towing 1800kg's, I've towed cars on trailers a few times and never felt like the car was lacking Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #87964 14th Jan 2011 6:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1