« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Snow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Snow

Been doing a lot of driving this weeked on the white stuff as my Mother is poorly in hospital. This is a 100 mile round trip which i have been doing every day. No Mway or dual carrigeways.
Must say my FL2 has been superb, no fuss and no wheelspin despite the fact i have to green lane for 6 miles before i reach a main road.
I used HDC several times and it takes some time to learn to trust it. It works very well when combined with low gear engine braking.
I do try to not use the brakes but the gearbox/engine braking as 2 tons takes some stopping.
All in all, a very impressive bit of kit. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #84805 20th Dec 2010 12:53 am
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand
Re: Snow

Pegleg wrote:
Been doing a lot of driving this weeked on the white stuff as my Mother is poorly in hospital. This is a 100 mile round trip which i have been doing every day. No Mway or dual carrigeways.
Must say my FL2 has been superb, no fuss and no wheelspin despite the fact i have to green lane for 6 miles before i reach a main road.
I used HDC several times and it takes some time to learn to trust it. It works very well when combined with low gear engine braking.
I do try to not use the brakes but the gearbox/engine braking as 2 tons takes some stopping.
All in all, a very impressive bit of kit.

I agree they are wonderful cars in the snow, i've been borrowing my daughters Puma while I wait for mine to be sorted.....doesn't take long to miss the FL, drove the Puma for about 7-800 miles now and can confirm it's like a little mario kart in comparison and slides just as easy too. I hope to god mine is sorted this weds coming or else I can see me being without it all over the xmas break Sad

Post #84806 20th Dec 2010 1:00 am
Pegleg

Dunk,
Know what you mean. 'Er indoors has a MX5 which does Torvil and Dean impressions. Last week she did a complete 360 at 10 mph.
I've a good mind to 'loose' the keys 'till the weather improves. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #84807 20th Dec 2010 1:10 am
mini-eggs

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

I've been the only one mobile on my street. The FL2 has been faultless, went shopping got on with daily things and helped out family with rescue missions and getting food to them.

Took my father out for food shopping and took him to the back of the car park into deep snow and even he was a bit taken back at how well the FL drives, no slipping or skidding.

There's no other car I'd rather be in.

Post #84819 20th Dec 2010 9:17 am
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

When and under which conditions should one use HDC? Freelander 2 SE 4Td Izmir Blue, Dog cage for Alaskan Malamute, iphone Navigon Navigator

Post #84831 20th Dec 2010 11:40 am
mini-eggs

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

I use HDC whenever I am doing downhill and there's potential for slipping / skidding. I prefer to have it on and not need it, than go down a hill without and realise I need it right now

Post #84832 20th Dec 2010 11:56 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Have to say I am hugely impressed to the point where I actually said last night that I think this is one of the best cars that I have now owned Bow down Bow down . I cannot get over how unfussed it is in the snow.. Even at times when I thought, it might slip a bit here, it just did not even wince! I am now looking for some really deep stuff to test it a bit...

Just the other day when it started coming down heavy we decided to do a 30 mile round trip to see friends who had just had a baby... I deliberately went down the lanes as there were no cars to be seen, except at one point when there were 5 cars on the road at the same time, 2 freel2, a disco3, a ffrr and an old series III / Defender! Brilliant Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #84833 20th Dec 2010 12:22 pm
athelstan

cyberhusky wrote:
When and under which conditions should one use HDC?

In Luxembourg: when leaving your Bank with all your money stashed in the back. Don't want to slid off the road and roll it, and then have millions of €€€'s flying around do we. Laughing

Post #84835 20th Dec 2010 12:36 pm
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

mini-eggs wrote:
I use HDC whenever I am doing downhill and there's potential for slipping / skidding. I prefer to have it on and not need it, than go down a hill without and realise I need it right now

But do you allow HDC to control the descent or do you continue foot braking? And if so, when do you allow HDC to take control? Or have I misunderstood how HDC works?

Post #84838 20th Dec 2010 12:53 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Don't touch the brakes when HDC working or it will stop working. HDC primes and controls braking to all 4 wheels to control your descent and I think it can pump the brakes 10 times a second independently to each wheel. It's pretty amazing when you properly experience it in action, like on the LR Experience day. Just takes some getting used to trusting the technology and mechanics.

Post #84839 20th Dec 2010 1:10 pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

athelstan wrote:
cyberhusky wrote:
When and under which conditions should one use HDC?

In Luxembourg: when leaving your Bank with all your money stashed in the back. Don't want to slid off the road and roll it, and then have millions of €€€'s flying around do we. Laughing

Unfortunately not all Luxembourgers have the back full of €€€ like the Swiss Whistle Freelander 2 SE 4Td Izmir Blue, Dog cage for Alaskan Malamute, iphone Navigon Navigator

Post #84841 20th Dec 2010 2:16 pm
Pegleg

HDC does require a very steep hill before it kicks in. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #84875 20th Dec 2010 5:36 pm
Jonboy

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Galway Green

Hi

Minus 14 here last night!
Could not get in through any of the doors as they were frozen!
Climbed in through the tailgate started up within five seconds, warmed up then pushed driver's door open.
Engaged "snow" mode drove off into seven inches of snow. Drove five miles to work totally uneventful the FL2 is just SO good. Used HDC on the way home, feet off - could feel and hear various wheels' brakes being engaged.
Had to laugh as I passed a Cayenne stuck.
Do I regret buying this car last March? Do I f**k!

Post #84882 20th Dec 2010 6:24 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Not seen a lot of snow, though I've been up to Northumberland and out to Bristol, but when there is some I just feel SOOOO glad I bought it. Off to Italy tomorrow! And all my friends stuck at airports and St Pancras! Rolling with laughter

Post #84893 20th Dec 2010 8:08 pm
ad210358

England 

Jonboy wrote:
Hi
Had to laugh as I passed a Cayenne stuck.
Do I regret buying this car last March? Do I f**k!

I had to laugh today also saw a Cayenne, with snow socks on all four wheels Rolling with laughter

Post #84900 20th Dec 2010 8:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>