Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Snow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Only got 4 inches of snow around here but most of the roads haven't been cleared. Simply put it in snow setting and off I went getting some odd looks from the BMW and Audi drivers as they bimbled along at 20 mph and I went sailing by.

Also had a play on a wide expanse of uncleared tarmac turning DSC on and off in various settings and had some interesting moments with it off which shows just how good it is when it's on and working.

Post #84907 20th Dec 2010 9:22 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Where is all this snow Sad In Northamptonshire we are still waiting for it. Smile Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #84913 20th Dec 2010 9:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mattbridge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

rchrdleigh wrote:
Only got 4 inches of snow around here but most of the roads haven't been cleared. Simply put it in snow setting and off I went getting some odd looks from the BMW and Audi drivers as they bimbled along at 20 mph and I went sailing by.

Also had a play on a wide expanse of uncleared tarmac turning DSC on and off in various settings and had some interesting moments with it off which shows just how good it is when it's on and working.

ah the fatal over confidence mistake, remeber you don't stop or turn any quicker in your freely The missus - SD4 HSE - Black - 2012
Me - BMW 330d Saloon - Black - 2011

Post #84914 20th Dec 2010 9:51 pm
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

mojo wrote:
Don't touch the brakes when HDC working or it will stop working. HDC primes and controls braking to all 4 wheels to control your descent and I think it can pump the brakes 10 times a second independently to each wheel. It's pretty amazing when you properly experience it in action, like on the LR Experience day. Just takes some getting used to trusting the technology and mechanics.

Exactly. That was the point of my questions to Mini-eggs. When is he allowing HDC to take control?

Post #84918 20th Dec 2010 10:04 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I agree about stopping and turning particulary downhill.
I take the view that because of the weight, once it begins to slide it'll be worse than a normal car.
So i'm really careful and use the 'box' to slow down. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #84919 20th Dec 2010 10:06 pm
rchrdleigh

Barton Freelander wrote:
Where is all this snow Sad In Northamptonshire we are still waiting for it. Smile

Try looking about 5 or 10 miles South of the A14 in Bedfordshire and you'll find some.

Post #84920 20th Dec 2010 10:10 pm
rchrdleigh

mattbridge wrote:
rchrdleigh wrote:

ah the fatal over confidence mistake, remeber you don't stop or turn any quicker in your freely

Not over confidence more a case of more years of driving in the Alps during my idle years as a ski instructor in a variety of vehicles, knowing the limits of the vehicles I was in and the tyres I was using and being able to assess the road conditions which at the time were dry, snow free and ice free. Also why I took the vehicle onto the uncleared tarmac to see what was safe and what wasn't/

Post #84922 20th Dec 2010 10:17 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

rchrdleigh wrote:
Barton Freelander wrote:
Where is all this snow Sad In Northamptonshire we are still waiting for it. Smile

Try looking about 5 or 10 miles South of the A14 in Bedfordshire and you'll find some.

Had about a 1'' overnight so a little play in the snow today is in order. Very Happy Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #85113 22nd Dec 2010 9:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mini-eggs

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

wdw wrote:
mojo wrote:
Don't touch the brakes when HDC working or it will stop working. HDC primes and controls braking to all 4 wheels to control your descent and I think it can pump the brakes 10 times a second independently to each wheel. It's pretty amazing when you properly experience it in action, like on the LR Experience day. Just takes some getting used to trusting the technology and mechanics.

Exactly. That was the point of my questions to Mini-eggs. When is he allowing HDC to take control?

It varies on the conditions and situation of when I let HDC work. For example I did a session in LRE Eastnor in a freelander and majority of descents the instructor told me to just let HDC work and to stay off the brakes. But some descents needed me to brake just to slow the car right down or help it overcome an obstacle.

Pop along to an off roading session, you can get a real feel of what all the toys can do.

Post #85119 22nd Dec 2010 11:02 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

plenty of snow falling in birmingham!!

Heres a pic of my car that i took half hour after parking it at work, there wasnt any snow on it when i arrived, just the icicles on the bumper!

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #85121 22nd Dec 2010 11:06 am
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

This is snow! Cool

[/img] 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #85182 22nd Dec 2010 6:10 pm
Pegleg

Would love to see it moved from there!! Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #85190 22nd Dec 2010 6:58 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

That was absolutely no problem at all. Drove out as if the snow wasn't there.

2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #85220 22nd Dec 2010 9:54 pm
Pegleg

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!! Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #85225 22nd Dec 2010 10:15 pm
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

mini-eggs wrote:

Pop along to an off roading session, you can get a real feel of what all the toys can do.

Did that nearly two years ago - had a good session because having already got the Freelander we didn't need to spend time on the on road demo so spent more of the afternoon off road. Though I wouldn't describe it as getting a feel for the toys - toys are what other cars have - we were learning more about the unique features that make the Freelander the car of choice Wink

But, although I used the HDC then (with that slightly surreal feeling of feet off and leave it to the machine), in more than two years I've not encountered a situation when I saw the need of HDC on road or (in my limited) off-roading. That's why I was interested to hear what conditions you encountered to make you decide to allow HDC to take control.

Post #85231 23rd Dec 2010 2:50 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>