Home > Technical > Cold Starting Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 18 123 ... 161718>
Print this entire topic · 
gibbergump

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Cold Weather Starting

Hi All,

Just a heads up for anyone in a cold climate that is thinking of purchasing an LR2. The bottom line is that they simply WILL NOT EVEN CRANK OVER at anything below -20C. Mine is hard starting at even anything approaching -10C.

I would be extremely cautious when dealing with sales reps because they give you a cock and bull story about Land Rover's being so tough and rugged and that they do not require block heaters. BS! I know the RR Sports are better in the cold but the LR2 is simply crap in the cold. I cannot imagine why this is because it is a Volvo engine and I know that it gets cold in Sweden from time to time Rolling Eyes

I cannot tell you how embarassing it is to have your LR 2 towed out of the driveway while your wife's 10 year old honda van is flashing up and driving down the road. Embarassed

After talking with the manager he insinuated that it was my fault for leaving it outside in the elements!!!!!

HAAAAA LOL. So much for the ruggedness of LR. I say if you live anywhere north of the 45th parallel (with the exception of balmy Britain) do not buy an LR2...or at least insist on a block heater and then make sure you never venture too far from a power outlet or a toasty warm garage.

Now I am facing a $700+ charge in order to make the vehicle even remotely useable in a Canadian winter....

Last edited by gibbergump on 25th Nov 2008 8:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #31820 25th Nov 2008 7:56 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

strange, there is a few on here that have FL2/LR2 in cold climates and haven't had a problem

but maybe they do keep theres wrapped up or its not been as cold Question

I'm sure they be along to answer Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #31822 25th Nov 2008 8:03 pm
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Cold start.
This winter season, I've only had minus 6 degrees, it was problem-free.
Last winter, I had the car standing out in the Norwegian mountains, minus 15 degrees (maybe -20 ), I think, not the problem either.
Extreme cold, I have not seen yet.
It may be a particular problem with your car, unfortunately.

I plan on installing Webasto / Eberspächer / Ardic car heater - not because of the cold start, but to get to the warm compartment. If there is room for it. (?)

PS. It is ridiculous to say that Freel2 should not be left out in the "cold". LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #31825 25th Nov 2008 8:41 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

peugeot/ford engine Volvo manual gear box gear box At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #31826 25th Nov 2008 8:44 pm
gibbergump

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Ohhhhhhh Noooooooo. A combination of French engineering and American Management...I am surprised it starts at all!!!!!!! Laughing

Post #31829 25th Nov 2008 8:55 pm
stormsky

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Just fit on a higher rated Amp-hr battery job done 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #31830 25th Nov 2008 9:16 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

chicken george wrote:
peugeot/ford engine Volvo manual gear box gear box

I'm sure mine only came with one gear box Confused

Post #31832 25th Nov 2008 9:17 pm
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

gibbergump wrote:
Ohhhhhhh Noooooooo. A combination of French engineering and American Management...I am surprised it starts at all!!!!!!! Laughing

The Gas/Petrol Automatics sold in Canada are Volvo V6 Engines. Same has the Volvo S80 and X series SUV's

I had no problem starting here last winter.

Post #31840 25th Nov 2008 10:06 pm
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I thought the Petrol engine was an I6, not a V6 Question ...not sure of the source to be honest...

Diesel td4 is the Peugeot/Ford Design, Built in the Ford Engine plant at Dagenham.

All the Auto-Trans are from AsinWarner F21 (Part of Toyota) Shocked '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #31842 25th Nov 2008 10:28 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Did not get very cold last winter - only down to about -15 in the mountains. For the most my FL2 TD4 sleeps in a garage at home, but is also often in the mountains where it stands out several days at a time in those minus temperatures and has always fired up first push of the button Thumbs Up
gibbergump - You either got something faulty or you do something wrong when starting Question Laughing
One thing for sure - the FL2/LR2 TD4 (design) does NOT have cold weather starting problems and is an excellent cold starter Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #31855 26th Nov 2008 8:09 am
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Well, last winther I had to call LR Road-Service twice up in the mountains. It hadn't been very cold. Only up to minus 10-15C or so.
Back at service they said it needed a software-update (the answer to all problems). It has been running & starting flawless since, -but it has been during the summer.

Now winter is around the corner, and I just have to wait and see what happens during the winter up in the mountains when it gets cold. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #31916 26th Nov 2008 5:28 pm
AndyC

VIKING - I remember that, but wasnt that due to a faulty battery Question I seem to remember you said it got changed Confused 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #31922 26th Nov 2008 6:58 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

AndyC wrote:
VIKING - I remember that, but wasnt that due to a faulty battery Question I seem to remember you said it got changed Confused

No, they didn't change the battery. Just a software-update. At least, -that's what they said. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #31928 26th Nov 2008 7:49 pm
AndyC

As winter approaches, I wait with crossed fingers then Neutral 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #31930 26th Nov 2008 7:54 pm
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

mburton2 wrote:
I thought the Petrol engine was an I6, not a V6 Question ...not sure of the source to be honest...

Diesel td4 is the Peugeot/Ford Design, Built in the Ford Engine plant at Dagenham.:

It is. Volvo designed but built in Wales.

As for the TD4, the engine is basically the same as the one from the Mondeo ST TDCi isn't it? Does it have the twin-turbo though? The Mondeo normally produces 158 bhp and 265 lb ft of torques, rising to 295 in 'transient overboost' mode.. whatever that is.. something to do with flooring it in 5th gives you more torque. Our lovely FL2s have 158bhp and 295lb ft all the time don't they?

lol.. be nice if I could say it was a twin turbo!

Edit : Actually now I look, I can't find anything about the Mondeo engine being twin turbo. I remember it at the time for some reason though, one little turbo spinning up at low revs and a bigger one at higher revs. Same deal as the BMW 335D. Hmm.. maybe I am wrong. Sad 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #31932 26th Nov 2008 8:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 18 123 ... 161718>