Home > Technical > Front end (suspension?) noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kris-p

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Fuji White
Front end (suspension?) noise

Hi all,
I am a newbie to this site and Land Rover, and it looks like you know everything about these things here Smile About two months ago I bought used Freelander 08 SE. Last weekend I took it "off-road" on easy, unsealed roads. After some driving, I noticed a "whistling" noise coming from the front end of the car, possibly suspension area? It is very short, high pitched noise only when I drive over a bump or hole in the road.
I have a video where you can hear this noise, however, I don't know how to upload it here Smile

Do you anyone know what this could be?

Post #280966 12th Nov 2015 10:42 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Or is it just a squeak from a bush say, like it only lasts an instant, or goes on a while?

Post #280973 12th Nov 2015 12:21 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

maybe something stuck between the caliper and disk? does it happen all the time when driving or just when going over bumps/ around corners etc?

Post #280980 12th Nov 2015 12:44 pm
kris-p

I uploaded that video I took to youtube, here is the link: https://youtu.be/5OymI_s2NW8
If anyone knows what that sound is, that would be great.

Post #280982 12th Nov 2015 12:48 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Either a squeaky suspension bush or youve got some stone lodged against a suspension component seeing as youve been off roading.
Does it make the noise if you just press down on the front of the car when stationary, if so you could make it do it whilst someone looks under and traces the noise?

Post #280983 12th Nov 2015 1:01 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My son does a lot of offroading at work, he often gets squeeks which are down to stones trapped around the anti roll bar and steering arms. You might need to get the front wheels off to get in there with a hose pipe and wash it out. Same for the brake discs. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #281022 12th Nov 2015 7:48 pm
kris-p

Thanks all for replies. This sound occurs only when going over a bump. I tried to push the front of the car but no sound at all. I will maybe try to ask a friend to help me push down the front to compress it a little bit more to see if I can hear this noise or not. I will also try to wash that area this weekend and maybe it will help.

So you reckon it is not a suspension issue?
On some other site I found this definition: "Loose shock absorber/trumpet: A clang from the front sounding like Morse code".

Post #281029 12th Nov 2015 9:38 pm
kris-p

A small update: I haven't managed to hose that area with water this weekend, however, I tried to look around if I can see any space where a stone could get stuck - no results.
Also I noticed, that this noise occurs when driving over a small roughness on the road in higher speed (approx. 40km/h or more). I can't hear anything when driving over a speed bumps etc.
Any suggestions?
I am planning to go for a road trip over Christmas period so I might take it to the mechanic if I won't be able to fix it "by myself".

Post #281315 16th Nov 2015 8:51 am
kris-p

Hi everyone, I have another update.
Last week I removed both front wheels and had a look in that area, if anything is loose or of there is anything that could be making that noise, but no success.

Yesterday I took my car on an unsealed road and I noticed that this sound can't be heard while I am braking (e.g. going down the hill etc). When I release the brake, the noise appears again, so there is very big possibility that it is coming from the front braking system area.
Not sure if there might be any connection, but when I was picking up the car from the dealer about 3 months ago, they told me that they just replaced braking pads. Perhaps they don't fit perfectly and they have some room to move while driving, hence that noise?
Any suggestions what that could be? Thanks!

Post #282678 29th Nov 2015 9:45 pm
kris-p

Looks like the mystery has been solved. A couple of days ago I took the wheel off again and went through and tried to move with everything possible by hand to see if I can hear a similar noise. I found out that when I move with brake pads in certain direction and force, it does squeak a bit. It is in the top and bottom part where brake pad sits in an S-shaped mount in caliper(not sure whether I am describing it right), where the pad moves in and out from brake disc. I applied a bit of WD40 on these two locations and did the same thing on the left brake too.
I was driving the car for two days and can't hear anything!
Funny, right? I also went to a local mechanic regarding this sound, and the car has been on LR service in the meanwhile, but no one could tell me where is it coming from.
So if anyone will start noticing this noise, you know what to do.

Post #293978 17th Mar 2016 9:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1