Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Convince me I dont really want to swap for a Disco 4!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
11SD4

Recently I did the rounds at the local dealers, intending to bag a HSE D4 - my first Land Rover. I didn't want to wait for a new order but instead wanted a nearly new one. I drove two of them at two different dealers. Loved it. My only hesitation was that the D4 was a little big, feeling like a minibus when looking behind. I will say that I've never had a SUV before so maybe you get used to the size.

I then was encouraged to try a Freelander 2 SD4 HSE at a dealer. It was every bit as quick as the 3.0 D4. Landrover actually quote it as quicker in the 0-60 sprint, 8.7 plays 9.0. It is the fastest accelerating Landrover it seems, but despite lacking 50 odd hp, it is nearly a tonne lighter than a D4 so that's got to help.

Anyway I bought the F2 and it was available immediately. Even though it was a loaded expensive model, I saved over £15k against what I'd have gone for on the D4. I love the D4 - particularly the interior, but it just wasn't that much nicer against a SD4 HSE F2, to my mind, unless you need the space...?

Post #84134 13th Dec 2010 9:01 pm
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Disco or FL2

Bought a new Disco 3(auto) in 2005 and liked the car in general but found it like a boat when you press on a bit in the twisties. Test drove a Manual Freelander 2 when they first came out and loved it.Sold the Disco and bought a new Freelander 2.Should have waited a few months for the auto as I ended up trading in the manual after 6 months for a new SE auto.3 years later and no faults in 32000 miles I still prefer the FL2.Just wish they would do a 3 door with a bigger motor.Will be tempted by the new Evoque if it is a reasonable price! Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #84220 14th Dec 2010 2:29 pm
APCo

United Kingdom 

I have just swapped a 57 XS FL2 for a My11 XS SD4, i have 3 kids and a dog, and i was hoping a D4 might be within range as the boot space is a little tight on the FL2 and extra seats could be useful. The FL2 is the best car i have had and the rear seat is actually big enough for 3.

To cut a long story short, I have just had a D4 XS for 2 days hired in for a job, it included the same sort of trip i did in the new FL2 last week, including sites on which 4wd is not a luxury but an essential. First impressions were - Censored i have made a terrible mistake Big Cry , i should have pushed the budget for the D4, the boot is positively cavernous, the interior was all leather, flashy toys, useable touch screen and on the motorway, well it was limosine like, fast assured comfortable and active suspension Exclamation all in all excellent, as th day has gone on and different roads travelled etc, I started to notice things I missed from the FL2, the steereing is less precise, it is a big boat of a car almost kept in control on the twisties but.... not an FL2 for on road handling. lights, crap with no self washing, stupid things like manual seats and a lack of program for window demisting, it also misted up easier. Setting up all the variables was complicated but logical and i guess you do it just the once. Filling it up was a little painful. But what really surprised me was it was far harder work of road, both cars are standard with OEM tyres, last week was snow over soft ground which the FL2 managed 4 up with aplomb, no worries, no drama, easy. This week was more mud less snow again on soft ground and the thing slid around like a manic ice dancer. Ended up taking to harder ground before the passengers had to get out on push. Now yes it was muddier, but i do know what i am doing and have used Defenders, 7 up with ease in the same or worse conditions.

So, can you live without the space, if so stay with the FL2, if you neeed space then D4 will not be disappointing. If you offroad change the tyres, Evil or Very Mad

As for me, - I guess the trailer is here to stay and i couldn't be happier, well for another 3 years anyway Whistle

Post #84252 14th Dec 2010 8:29 pm
ad15

chicken george wrote:
Its a womans car, designed to fit loads of kids for the school run, then loads of shopping bags for the morrisons/retail therapy run. real men drive the fl2.
Trust me the road at our farm lane end is a major school route loads of D3/4's all women drivers.

Dave chose a D3 because the seats lift him a little higher /compensating for his lack of height

the irony in what you've written Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #84302 15th Dec 2010 1:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12