Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Took Freelander To Blackpool For A week-Sat Nav Useless .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Took Freelander To Blackpool For A week-Sat Nav Useless .

Just got back from a week away in Blackpool. Usual Blackpool weather but who cares lol!!

37mpg with no aircon being used - don't really think that is very impressive considering.
Saturday 23rd weather was cold & cold in the car too even without the aircon & heater on 24 degrees as there was a constant draft coming from what appeared to be the vents area!

Other than the trip there & on Monday when we drove around the local area & to Lytham St Annes we used foot power then on Friday - the trams. Good time was had there again.

On way home we had 2 deliveries of car bits & 1 collection to do in the Swindon/Bristol areas & on all 3 occassions I used the sat-nav to save time given the time we left Coventry this morning (Sunday). On all 3 journeys the sat-nav made errors like telling me to turn right in 100 yards but actually meaning there & then as there was no other turn or take 3rd exit at the roundabout where there was no roundabout & 2nd exit at another roundabout but sent me the wrong way & when I turned round I noticed the so called 1st exit was a footpath that ended by the roundabout & twice taking me round in circles changing it's mind - oppinion of it = crap - better off using a map!

Does the system not recognise the speed you are doing when displaying ETA times etc? Also going down a dual carrigeway at national speed it suddenly says turn left in 400/200 yards but you are doing the national speed limit so you miss the turn Censored (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #79630 1st Nov 2010 12:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I think you probabaly have a Friday afternoon system there EV...my experiences are that it's pretty good, although I know other folk don't always agree! saying that I always look at a map and know vaguely where I'm going and just use it for fiddly bits.

The ETA time does vary according to ours, but realistically it's hard to do 'average' speeds on all roads so they're usually slightly optimistic I find.

And yes ours has tried to take me down the odd path but nothing too severe! To be honest I do think sometimes that a good quality portable nav for half the price would be better! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #79631 1st Nov 2010 12:54 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Current unit is better than previous (2006 FL1) effort as there is at least a map.
Yes it does very occasionally seem to go adrift ie 50-100m, this can be nusance Censored .
Have had 2 Tom Toms, both batteries failed, out of warranty.
Michelin version - maps did not allow our postcode/address to be set as a starting point / destination, but did show our street / town when driving. Before you ask our street was built in the 1930's.
Sony unit was nice, reliable, and easy to use but got nicked out of the glove box when the local scum did 20+ cars in our street one night - thats the best reason for built in units in my mind. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #79633 1st Nov 2010 8:59 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Try cleaning your DVD, If your system is having problems reading it then it will be slow

Also if the exit off a round about is there normally if the herbs been dropped and it's say a deadend or maybe a old road then it's still an exit as long as the satnav isn't telling you to go down it does it matter

If there I'd no roundabout when your system is saying there is, then I guess they need to update that section

Login to the mapping company and use their website to tell them there wrong, Wink

Turning the AC off doesn't turn the fans off either, you'll still have the fans working, if you've turned the fans off also your getting unassisted air through the vents, set to what temp your dials are on, try closing each vent

For somebody who obviously dislikes your FL2 as all you do is comment how bad this and that is, maybe drop your sale price and get rid Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #79634 1st Nov 2010 9:14 am
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Biggest advantage of the buitin satnav in FL2 over a portable one is that builtin one can work without satnav signal (and pretty accurately as well, by using dead-reckoning method), I found this really useful when driving in tunnels in Paris specially when some tunnels have several exits. Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #79636 1st Nov 2010 10:03 am
Ticktock

So can many of the good portable ones too and they give the topography in 3D and a speed camera database. In honesty the LR Satnav is pretty crap and certainly not worth the extra. It's very disappointing and when you think 100 quid can buy you something better from Halfords.

Post #79638 1st Nov 2010 10:57 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

the built in sat nav may not in some cases be as accurate as some portable units such as tom tom, etc but it is much nicer and easier to use.

I've had a tom tom for a few years but always wanted a built in sat nav so that it was always on and was there when I needed it, and I think it just sets off the HSE package nicely.

Iain

ps using a tom tom on a 30K car is a bit naff !!

Post #79643 1st Nov 2010 12:23 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I think I must be in the small camp of people who actually like the LR SatNav... I had a TomTom before which I think is amongst the best portable units and I was a bit worried about moving to the LR unit but came out pleasently supprised...

For starters it does full post code search which I know a lot of other brands builst in units dont, also I like the fact it is built in as it did my head in having to keep plugging in my portable unit.

As for usage, I guess if your maps are out of date you are going to get some errors, but in generally I think it works well. Have you tried calibrating it as it does use wheel diameter as well as gps signal for you location.

I have found that using split screen mode helps on set to 2mile scale and north always pointing up and then the other with a 1/16m scale with the car always point north. This gives me the best of both worlds in terms of which direction I am going and also what my next instruction will be Thumbs Up .

Incidentally I only follow on screen instructions, i think voice instructions can be confusing.

Also I don’t let TMC redirect me automatically - I just get it to notify me and I can make my own decision... used this the other day on M40 and selected redirect for 10 miles and it was brilliant!

All in all I think thumbs up LR Thumbs Up . It takes some getting used to, but when you know how to use it I think it is as effective if not better than a TomTom (other portable satnavs available Wink ) Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #79647 1st Nov 2010 1:10 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

I have had a TomTom since they were first introduced, and have seen them improve this fantastic bit of kit. I would not be without one and how lovely it is to sit indoors and program all my visits from my armchair ready for the next day.

Post #79648 1st Nov 2010 1:34 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Good point Chaarodine.., BM's still only search for postcodes up to 4 digits and I think Audi and Merc do too...What on earth is the use in that?! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #79649 1st Nov 2010 1:39 pm
Junior

England 

You should of popped in-I'd have shown you where to go Thumbs Up

Post #79655 1st Nov 2010 1:58 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I like the LR Satnav, granted it has sometimes taken me on a wild goose chase but 9 times out of 10 its spot-on! Also think the slow traffic warning annoucements are ace. Had a new one last week - 'Obstruction ahead', never heard it in 2.5 years in the FL2 - turned out to be a set of traffic lights on a crossroads were not working (how the hell did it know that?????).

My 2005 BMW satnav didnt have postcode entry meaning it took aggggeeeessss to put an address in, also once it decided to take me down a single track road that turned into a potholed dirt track after a couple of 100 yards - the underside of my beemer and M sports bodykit didnt like that!! Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #79662 1st Nov 2010 3:09 pm
asinrute

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Quote:
I like the LR Satnav, granted it has sometimes taken me on a wild goose chase but 9 times out of 10 its spot-on

I have one problem though, I live in Portishead and when going North or South I hav to use the M5. There are 2 junctions close to me a junction north of me and a junction south of me. Which ever way I want to go it always wants to go via the southerly junction, even though when going north it is 10miles longer in distance and B roads as opposed to A roads. Whatever I try I can't make it take me the correct way when going north. This only happened when I updated the maps to 2010 maps, Strangely I had an X type jag before and exactly the same happened when I updated the maps FL2 HSE Sumatra black with body kit

Post #79684 1st Nov 2010 7:47 pm
ad210358

England 

I have recently put the 2101/2011 update disc in and I can now head down the A41 on a By-Pass near me and return the same way. all the other update discs I have had insisted I used the By-Pass going South and divert through the village on the way back Question I still think it chooses the route and if you divert off of the chosen route it is more concerned with getting you back to the chosen route rather than to the chosen destination, even if there is a now quicker route you have to reprogramme the destination in and it will then go the quicker way.

Post #79689 1st Nov 2010 8:43 pm
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Quote:
I still think it chooses the route and if you divert off of the chosen route it is more concerned with getting you back to the chosen route rather than to the chosen destination, even if there is a now quicker route you have to reprogramme the destination in and it will then go the quicker way.

This is my biggest disapointment with the LR satnav, If you deviate of the recommended route with TomTom it works out the quickest way to your destination from where you are without reprogramming. What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #79694 1st Nov 2010 9:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>