Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Took Freelander To Blackpool For A week-Sat Nav Useless .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

I'm still amazed why you'd have a built in sat nav when the separate ones are so much better...perhaps a better solution is a better mount for TomToms and the like...Nissan are doing this now

I know you ahve to tuck away a 'stick on the windscreen one' but hey they work better, are easier to update and have more functionality (oh and cheaper too Smile)

Post #79698 1st Nov 2010 10:19 pm
ad210358

England 

Richardk, Renault have started fitting a TomTom unit in certain commercial vehicles, not a windscreen mounted one but a normal TomTom unit specially designed to fit near the interier rearview mirror and I have read somewhere but cannot remember where that TomTom have started to make a proper in the dash fitted head unit which will be supplied to Ford, so things are moving that way.

Post #79701 1st Nov 2010 10:50 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Some good points raised above:-

Agree, Much nicer to have a built in unit & a reason I got the HSE but as mentioned not as good as some portable units! Why is this given the extra cost?

My Garmin unit I have & the factory unit I had in my Rover 75 & ZT both redirected you if you went off the route, this one does not do this unless I have not set something as it just lets you carry on.

Another thing I can't work out is when you first enter in the postcode but not the house number it says "Navigation will start when you join the highlighted route" - Supposing you don't know what the highlighted route is? All other units I have used tell you immediately which direction to go & if you are pointing the wrong way it tells you to turn round! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #79705 2nd Nov 2010 12:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Valeter

Junior wrote:
You should of popped in-I'd have shown you where to go Thumbs Up

Did look out for your car when walking along the promenade!! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #79706 2nd Nov 2010 12:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Valeter

npinks wrote:

Turning the AC off doesn't turn the fans off either, you'll still have the fans working, if you've turned the fans off also your getting unassisted air through the vents, set to what temp your dials are on, try closing each vent

The vents were closed. If the AC is off then whatever the temp is set at technically the cabin should be warmer surely? (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #79707 2nd Nov 2010 12:11 am
adm

all this from someone who couldn't work out how to change the sat nav north arrow Whistle

Post #79776 3rd Nov 2010 3:10 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I think that the SatNav in the car is ok. I used TomTom for a long time and it tended to be more accurate on arrival times. I understand that the system calculates your average speeds and uses those to calculate your eta, but you have to be using it, I guess for it to work.

My thing with SatNav is that it doesn't always choose the "best route", but you do tend to get there. Where the system does let itself down (horribly) is how out of date the maps are. I know that you can log onto Navtec and advise them, I have tried... often... and given up... There are loads of roads in Suffolk that are just completely wrong! (I have got the latest maps...)

I would love it if there was a one touch after a Traffic warning, so that you could touch the screen and it would show the detail of what the delay is and how far away the delay is. You get a message advising there is a delay and that is your lot!

It has a huge bias for using A roads over B roads. There was an incident locally and it showed my journey home as about 45mins. I travelled effectively in a straight line and the journey took about 25!! What would be VERY useful would be the ability to be able to put your own speeds for roads in. TomTom used to let you do it on the PDA version and I managed to tailor my speeds so the ETA was accurate to 2-3 mins on a 2 hour journey...

Basically it is ok. Maps are out of date. Road speeds a bit screwy and as a result some of the alternative routes leave a bit to be desired.

I'll live with it Smile Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #79779 3rd Nov 2010 5:10 pm
The Valeter

On my previous cars with built in sat nav (Rover 75) that adjusted the eta time according to your speed & that system was from the mid to late 90's BMW cars. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #79834 4th Nov 2010 12:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12