Home > General > Wintrac 4 extreme tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
matt-j

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Wintrac 4 extreme tyres

hi all

its time to change the boots on the FL2 - the original wranglers are at 32,000miles

i've trawlled the forum for what opinions and choices people have gone for and as i'm after what i would class as an intermediate tyre, i'm struggling to make a decision on what to spend my hard earned cash on.

my senario is:
mainly road use - with the odd dry green lane thrown in for fun times
one cost - so no second set with winter tyres on
i live rural, well above the snow line with plenty of ungrittted roads
i travel to cornwall from lancashire for my holidays

so what i'm after is:
low road noise (the wranglers noise has been just fine)
one set for all year round and half reasonable in the snow/ off road

i've come across these wintrac 4 extreme which tick a lot of boxes but has any one used these? what is the tyre ware like? or road noise?

maybe for what i want i should stick with the wrangler HP AW's, and are the pirelli scorpion ATR's the equivilant to the wranglers or better? or worse?

then there are a couple of others that catch my attention like the general grabber UHP - look really good on the road but snow? tyre ware?

cross contiAT? Cooper Discovery ATR? Yoko Geolander HT-S?

if you have any experience of any of these tyres please could you post as i'm after info off people with FL2's attached to them Very Happy

cheers

matt

Post #77272 30th Sep 2010 2:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Does this help ?

http://www.tyretest.com/4x4_reifen/general/grabber_uhp/index.html We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #77288 30th Sep 2010 6:02 pm

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Have you looked at the wrangler AT/SA? I have been using them all summer and they are quiet on the road, excellent off road Haven't seem to have worn much (done 7000 on them) Looking forward to the snow!

Thanks,
222 www.222photography.co.uk

Post #77298 30th Sep 2010 7:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I know they'll be different sized tyres on a different car but I'm sure I read about somebody running wintrac all year on disco3 Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #77299 30th Sep 2010 7:12 pm
MVS

I have just put some 235/60 Vred Wintrac 4 Extreme's on my spare 18" origional wheels for 'winter' use .

The Vred www site suggests that they should be used when average temps are 7deg C and below, so I am waiting a bit yet. Whether it affects the wear rate with higher temps dunno, but that would be my assumption Whistle

Post #77301 30th Sep 2010 7:20 pm
Blue

United Kingdom 

How about the Nokian WRG2? They get very positive reviews on most websites, including the Scandinavian ones but apparently are quite suitable to be used all year round. Not sure if they do them in a size for the Freel though. Blue

Post #77317 30th Sep 2010 7:57 pm
matt-j

cheers for the replys

WDCAP - thanks for that, i've had a good look at the site and it's really usful, the only problem is that one person gives a tyre 3star in the snow and the next person gives it 5stars. possibly because one person has them on his frontier and their 101 Smile

i thought it would be best asking the FL2 enthusiasts Wink

222 - i've had a look at these and thought they were too aggressive - but you have given me food for thought with them being quiet/good off road and indicate they will be good wear rate - has the steering been affected? does it feel like it "wallows" with off-road tyres on?

npinks - i'll have a noisey and see if i can spot the thread on the disco3 forum

MVS - i hadn't spotted that they are for use at 7deg C and below. Confused that changes the top 5 list Laughing

cheers for the info so far everyone

matt

Post #77328 30th Sep 2010 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
agroman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

have just changed from wranglers to Yokohama Geolander GO12. A little increase in noise, but not obtrusive and you soon get used to it. Tread pattern wise they look as though they should be ok in snow. Have yet to give them a good try offroad yet - its been too dry. With the rain thats on its way, looks like they should get a good workout next week. Thumbs Up On road manners are just as good as wranglers.

Too early to give any comment on ware yet.

Cross Conti AT's look good, but are made to order and they are only going to make them when there is a big enough order book!! So not a lot of good if you need a new one in a hurry.

Sponsors AJS mentioned a new General Grabber AT pattern coming out soon, look for the thread from last week sometime. There is a link on their website that shows the tyre. Not sure when they are going to be available yet though. 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Hardback - Gone
2004 Freelander TD4 HSE Stationwaggon - Gone
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS manual - Gone
2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto - Gone
2013 SD4 GS arrived April 2013

Post #77329 30th Sep 2010 9:31 pm
gmcowan

Scotland 

I have just fitted Vredstein Quadtrac 3 suvs as i could not find an all terrain tyre in the FL 18 inch size.
They are vredstein's all season tyre.
Happy so far but very early days.

Post #77371 1st Oct 2010 11:06 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Am I being thick or have I missed the tyre size on this one !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Andy.
www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #77373 1st Oct 2010 12:50 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Be careful asking questions like that on this forum.....................thicko Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #77374 1st Oct 2010 12:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i think the 2007 GS has 17" 235 65 17 105v on as standard, but then he could have swapped wheels Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #77375 1st Oct 2010 12:59 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

O.K. What about the Pirelli ATR's, I have eight left in stock for collection or fitting here.

Wintrac 4 Xtreme are on back order, we do have customers using these all year round.

The NEW General AT will be out soonish, but I have no date yet.

Hope this helps Andy.
www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #77384 1st Oct 2010 1:52 pm
matt-j

AJS4X4 wrote:
Am I being thick or have I missed the tyre size on this one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whoops Embarassed yes they are 235/65/R17 104V

Post #77387 1st Oct 2010 3:03 pm
matt-j

AJS4x4 - i've looked at the pirelli scorpion ATR on tyre test.com and its one of the few with a review from an FL2 owner (tim best), he gave them a very average review, they also got a shocking review from a toureg owner which i've not seen on any other tyre but i guess that is why i'm after FL2 owners reviews, as tyres perform diffently on difference vehicles? Smile

the owners who run wintrac 4's all year round, do you know if they are getting good milage out of them?

gmcowan - the quatrac 3 3 look really good, can i bee cheeky and ask what kind of money you paid for 4 fitted?

agroman - both the tyres you mentioned look massive in the online photos, they look like they could easily take on anything i would be faced with. but i'm worried that the bigger the tread blocks the poorer steering responce, is this still the case? or is there no difference to the wranglers? reason being that 50% of the diving i'll do will be in the dry, 30% wet (very very wet Very Happy ) and the other 20% snow. so i don't want to comprimise the normal road driving, esp long summer distances?

cheers for the informative feedback everyone

Post #77391 1st Oct 2010 3:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>