Home > General > Wintrac 4 extreme tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

AJS4X4 wrote:
The NEW General AT will be out soonish, but I have no date yet. Hope this helps

In the same predicament myself and decided to pick up some GG AT2's after finding out the new version of the AT will not be released over here until the spring. I'll post the link to the statement when I get chance to look for it again, but it was an official site.

Andy, thanks for your help, but I found a set of 16" rims on fleabay at a comparable price to yours "great price by the way, thanks" but saved myself a 450 mile round trip, as they are only in Sheffield! Thumbs Up

Post #77419 1st Oct 2010 7:56 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

I got AT2's fitted about 4 weeks ago and got to say, am very impressed so far. I probably do a bit more off-road than you describe, but not much. PM me for what they cost me as we have tyre sponsors here, so it wouldn't be fair, but look in my post's and the price is there.

HTH. We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #77447 2nd Oct 2010 1:15 am
Robertalv

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Comment about the General Grabbers UHP...

We went for these (full set of 4...) when the original Wrangler's wore out at around 35,000 as they were cheaper (from memory, £460 fitted as opposed to £600 or so for the Wranglers).

However, they have only done around 22,000 miles, so I suppose you get what you pay for!

They have been good on road and have towed horse trailers over the longest, wettest grass ever without fault but I would say that their 'end of life' wear has been faster than I would hope for.

We now have Agroman's part used Wranglers on there for MOT and end of lease return!

Post #77469 2nd Oct 2010 9:34 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

I recon 37,000 on a D3 good mileage, don't you. Andy.
www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #77476 2nd Oct 2010 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

37k on anything is decent mileage in my book. Thumbs Up We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #77482 2nd Oct 2010 11:22 am
gmcowan

Scotland 

Quadtracs were £150 fitted etc each ex vat.
I had had the "all season" wrangler come with the car originally and was disappointed with the winter performance.
We will see how these go.
So far good on gravel.

Post #77490 2nd Oct 2010 1:11 pm
CRESPEL

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Wintrac 4 extreme

I fitted these tyres to my Freelander 2 SE last November just before winter set in. The tyre dealer did take the mickey as to why I needed these tyres in the NW of England. Then we had snow, snow and more snow for weeks! Great tyre. Never got stuck. Road noise didn't seem any worse than the Michelin OE summer tyres. Handling on dry tarmac not as sharp but still fine. Comfort similar to summer. Tyre wear really suprised me because it's approaching winter again and I'm just getting to the wear markers and so will change them in a few weeks. I'm just coming up to 105,000 miles and so they've lasted a good 30,000 miles +. Good in snow, excellent in standing water on the motorway. Didn't seem as good on sheet ice as I expected but still much better than a summer tyre. I'm trying the Continental TS830 this year in order to assess the difference if I can get the right size.

Post #77703 4th Oct 2010 11:10 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

I recently fitted a set of 235/65/17 Wintracs as the OEM ContiContact were looking a bit low on tread (at 28k) and were beginning to lose traction on grass. I have another set of rims (will have ATs on for rest of year) so the Wintracs will only do winter duties. First impressions are they look more rugged than the Contis but less than the ATs. No noticeable road noise over Contis and same comfort. Wintracs have a lot of fans over on the Disco3 forum which influenced the choice. The Wintracs were not easy to find though - kept hearing that Vredestein are not sending any to the UK this year but eventually found some in stock (last four they had!). Mytyres have them but at £163ea Shocked . I normally use Camskill but they only had Avon Ranger Ice in my size and no Wintracs due to them this year.

Post #77708 5th Oct 2010 7:09 am
matt-j

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

thanks for the info guys,

I've learnt a lot about tyres over the last couple of weeks and although i wanted a set of tyres which where great at everything - its not going to happen. so i have prioritised and with where i live winter performance will be the biggest advantage. so as i wanted to keep the cost to minimum by having one set of wheels/tyres i may have to keep an eye on ebay for a second summer set. (plus if i get 30K miles out of each set its not going to cost any more over the 60K mile period its just that i have to cough it all up at once

so first sets first, i was swaying towards the wintracs as the tread title suggested and after taking the advice you have all offered i have put my money on the table and got some wintracs, Wink

after ringing round loads of places the same answer kept coming up " vredstien are not putting any wintracs into the uk untill january". also nobody would even give me a price as vredstien would no even indicate to them a costing. seamingly the uk is a non priority as winter tyre usage is not enforced

thinking it was a non starter (as the only place i could find them was priced at £179.50 ea on mytyre) I continued to ring places from the google search and i got 2 from the tyremen for £110 ea delivered Very Happy result!

the price on mytyre dropped to £164 each - so the average price across the 4 was £136 which i didn't think was too rediculous Neutral

gmmcowan - the quatracs where right up my street and i got prices on these for if the wintracs where not right for me/ not available, the look a very good all rounder

crespel and donny - cheers for the info, after reading your posts on tyreware and road characteristics i was reassured, i bit the bullet and got some.

thanks to everyone else who has contributed - you have given me food for thought on my second set Wink

cheers

matt

Post #78167 11th Oct 2010 11:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
posiden

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
tyres

Im really miffed with Vred at the minute as I wanted a full set for my FL2.
Camskill have phoned them up and they arent bringing any into the UK until January - Winter will be 50% done by then ????
Has anyone ordered them from Europe? Will the P&p be rediculous ?
If I cant get hold of any Im going to order some Goodyear Ultras.
Come on Vred your loosing sales because of this !

Post #78212 12th Oct 2010 4:15 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Hi i have had the same problem getting the verd's so i went for something different ( and abit cheaper) I have just take delivery of 4 Kumho KC15 's winter tyres from" my tyres" ( spot on service) these tyres have had good reviews on "tyre test.com" I have not got them fitted yet, waiting for it to get a bit colder first. I have put a link on if anyone wants to take a look. Thumbs Up
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?deta...sowigan=Wi

Post #78218 12th Oct 2010 5:11 pm
Blue

United Kingdom 

Phew! Pleased I ordered my Wintracs for my Z4 (significantly more essential on that car than they are on a Freelander!) earlier in the year, they've been sat in the garage for 6 weeks waiting to be fitted Very Happy Blue

Post #78227 12th Oct 2010 8:02 pm
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Does you climate let you run all season tires without any risk?
All season is RUBBISH in real winter conditions.
On snow and ice you need all the stopping "power" you can get. Running all season tires up here is just jeopardizing with your life and the life of others.
Nokian Hakka is one of the worlds best tires in winter conditions, but my FL2 came with Yokohama stud tires so I'll give them a go this winter. Smile FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #78280 13th Oct 2010 7:35 am
gmcowan

Scotland 

redlabel wrote:
Does you climate let you run all season tires without any risk?
All season is RUBBISH in real winter conditions.
On snow and ice you need all the stopping "power" you can get. Running all season tires up here is just jeopardizing with your life and the life of others.
Nokian Hakka is one of the worlds best tires in winter conditions, but my FL2 came with Yokohama stud tires so I'll give them a go this winter. Smile

bearing in mind there is no such thing as no risk in the automotive world, yes.
mild maritime climate subject to north atlantic drift. lots of rain.

Post #78340 13th Oct 2010 8:45 pm
posiden

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
Wintrac 4 xtremes are available now

Ive just spoken to vredestein and there are some tyres coming into the country this week.
Most of the stock is preordered but there are some available.
Vredestein recommended speaking to Chris at http://tyremen.myshopify.com/products/2356...-xtreme-xl or call them on 08456 807 808.

Post #78397 14th Oct 2010 2:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>