« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > A bit of a bump !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy-H

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red
A bit of a bump !

Just thought that you might like to see what happend to my Fl2 when the car behind me was shunted into me.

http://img46.imageshack.us/slideshow/webpl...aughty.jpg

We were stationary, waiting at trafic lights to change, when the VW behind was hit by a brand new Renault doing 55MPH!. The Renault driver says he was on cruise control, and his brakes failed.

My motor is still in the body shop, waiting to see if it will be written off.

I forgot to say, I wrote off the little Peugeot in front of me, and that hit the back of a Jag in front of that!

Needless to say, I drove mine home.

Post #73607 8th Aug 2010 3:26 pm
gstd4-e

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Oh dear, that looks terminal Big Cry It looks like the tow bar has transferred the impact to the chassis. I wonder if without the tow bar the bumper and crumple zones would have absorbed the force. Now do I tell my insurance company that I have a tow bar Whistle A Land Rover owner since 1988

From a 1974 series III to a 12MY XS FL2 with help of a 1995 D1, 1996 D1, 2005 D3, 2007 D3 and a 2009 FL2.

Post #73610 8th Aug 2010 4:35 pm
Marky

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Hope the Renault driver is insured................ thats gonna cost !! is that 4 cars damaged then Andy? 2010 FL2 XS Auto in Santorini Black with HSE alloys

Post #73611 8th Aug 2010 4:37 pm
Andy-H

Yes everyone was insured, the Renault driver is with the same company as I am. (I dont know if that is good or bad !)
I was the middle of 5 cars involved.
The body shop says that they are upto about £11,000 so far, they seem to think it is not a write off. Its upto the insurance company to decide.

Post #73612 8th Aug 2010 5:02 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

crumbs Confused second red fl2 shunted on this forum, the last one was struck by a HGV and a bit more bent, luckily Shar got out dazed but unhurt At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #73613 8th Aug 2010 5:24 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I hope everyone's ok after that...I bet that woke you up whilst you were relaxing in the queue! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #73614 8th Aug 2010 5:27 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Glad your OK. I would be amazed if they decided to repair it.

My friend was hit up the rear in his FL2 and it was written off, and his damage was not as bad as yours! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #73615 8th Aug 2010 5:34 pm
Andy-H

As far as I know everyone is on the mend. They had to cut the roof off the back 2 cars to get them out, and a baby in the car that hit me was fine.

Post #73616 8th Aug 2010 5:37 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Impressive that no glass was broken. Glad all are OK. We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #73623 8th Aug 2010 7:13 pm
tonka

United Kingdom 

If it is up to £11,000 damage it will be 100% write off, glad you all are ok Bow down Bow down Bow down If I had all the money I spent on Beer!, I'd spend it on Beer!.

Post #73626 8th Aug 2010 7:49 pm
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I would be very wary about accepting a repair, they never seem to be able to get the vehicle back exactly as is was, with the same panel fit as original, you then end up with a dispute between your insurance company and the reapirer, with you in the middle, and a car that is worth a lot less with an obvious repair or a DVLA marker.

Post #73642 9th Aug 2010 12:29 am
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Do you really want that back, I wouldn't. I would highlight to the bodyshop that you don't want it & hopefully they will scrutinise a bit more closely......

So everyone claims of the person who hit them from behind. Seems unfair as the Renault was to blame, but it don't work that way.... 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #73644 9th Aug 2010 7:57 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

my nephew's astra had a rear/side impact and the repair came in at £4000 with the car only being worth £5500.

to all our amazement they would not write it off and went ahead with the repairs, including new back axle, etc.

he is very unhappy with the result and now really unhappy with the car...........shame as this was his first car and he loved it.

main problem is panels not fitting like they did before the accident, but they say they are all within acceptable tolerances.

hope they write yours off and you don't need to go through all the hassle that my nephew has.

Iain

Post #73645 9th Aug 2010 8:27 am
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I had the same thing with a Mazda 6, the sides of the car were out, and so the boot didn't line up, and the gap the bottom was bigger than at the top. Also the bumper had been glued into place, badly. And a few other muck ups.

They did the same to me, it was close to a write off, but they didn't write it off. I then had to moan, and try to prove with pictures that it wasn't right, I got pictures of other Mazdas to show how wrong it was.

After many times back to the body shop, it was at a point I was happy with it. Admittedly, it took a lot of phone calls, and definitely believing that I was right, otherwise they'd have fobbed me off with tolerances.

I'd be tempted to ask them to prove it's within tolerances. I think that's a standard body shop term, like "have you tired turning it off and on again" and "it must be the dongle", in IT, I use them frequently Laughing

I'm pretty sure the "new" work shop manager at the body shop said my car should have been a write off, but that the previous manager, who left suddenly (wasn't sacked, honest guv) had a habit of getting extra work by under valuing the work, then not finishing it properly, but this kept the volume of work being given to them up. Also, mine ended up costing them, or the insurance, not sure who, way more than it was worth, but once they'd started, it was still the best option for them to carry on fixing it.

Post #73646 9th Aug 2010 8:42 am
Junior

England 

Andy-H wrote:
Yes everyone was insured, the Renault driver is with the same company as I am. (I dont know if that is good or bad !)
I was the middle of 5 cars involved.
The body shop says that they are upto about £11,000 so far, they seem to think it is not a write off. Its upto the insurance company to decide.

-
From what I remember about being in the middle of a multi car smash, Each indidual coming together is regarded as so and have to sue each other along the line until they reach the culprit i.e. the renaults insurer.

They won't want to be hiring a FL2 for 4+ months while yours is in the shop so they may move quicker to write yours off Thumbs Up

Post #73666 9th Aug 2010 1:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>