« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Sat Nav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MrsH

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Manual Stornoway Grey
Sat Nav

I have a 2010 Freelander 2, but unfortunately it didn't come with Sat Nav. I wondered if anyone has had a Sat Nav retro fitted into the space in the middle of the console where I think the factory fitted one would have been? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Post #66539 16th Apr 2010 11:44 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

There's a sticky thread in modifications forum where lots have been discussed but I've put it here
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic2585.html Phil

Post #66541 16th Apr 2010 12:15 pm
ad210358

England 

To be honest if the Sat Nav was an option I would not bother with it, it is not the best Sat Nav in the world a TomTom is much better a lot more versatile but may not look so good as it is not fitted in, but quite a few have mounted a Tomtom where the screen on the factory fit one is and looks ok you just need to hide the cables. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #66552 16th Apr 2010 5:24 pm
JOHNTYWYN

Wales 

I thoroughly agree with the Tom Tom soluiton. I recently exchanged a brand new Discovery XS for a new Freelander 2. The Sat Nav on the Discovery left a lot to be desired, and the Freelander one is no different. A classic example is that if I plot a course from Tywyn (the one just north of Aberdovey) to Aberystwyth it insists on taking me on a journey via Dolgellau, and adding some 30 miles to my quickest and shortest route.

There are other annoying course issues as well, and the only way round them is to scrutinise a map before a journey and add numerous way points. This is time consuming, and of course by the time you have finished plotting the course, you are so familiar with the route that neither map or sat nav is required !!!

However, the unit does have its good points. Motorway information is excellent, even if it does have a tendency to take you off the M4 at every junction, and immediately re-join you at the same exit ! And the actual map with its large screen gives you a very clear view. Nevertheless, I always use my Tom Tom, which I have fitted on to a granite wine glass holder, and placed on the right hand side of the instrument panel where it jams in nicely between the speedo cowling and right hand pillar. This is then easily removable when I park, without leaving tell tale suction marks on the windscreen. The Tom Tom is undoubtedly the best GPS I have ever come accross, superior to Garmin, and other manufacturer fitted equipment. Why spend £1400 on cosmetics, when you can pick up a Tom Tom for only a little over £100.

Post #66609 18th Apr 2010 10:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
phil_wkl

Australia 

I agree, the TomTom was one of the best and it took some time to get used to the LR one, but it was also pointless having both so I decided to just trust the LR one and use it, and now I have. It's not as good but like most things, familiarity breeds content and hey, it came with the car and works fine mostly. Phil

Post #66612 18th Apr 2010 11:07 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1