Home > General > Respect from other road users
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Junior

England 
Respect from other road users

One thing I wanted to ask you all Question

I have noticed that since I have been driving Freda I have noticed a different on-road experience regarding the respect of other drivers, for instance In my previous vehicle, A Kia I would find myself being regularly tail-gated and even abused whilst being passed particularly on the M55 motorway, But in freda although my driving mantra is unchanged I haven't really experienced this?
I normally travel at 75ish (Please don't inform the authorities He he) In the middle lane and I always signal in good time if I intend to deviate.

Any of you chaps had a similar experience since owning your Landrovers?

Thank-you in advance
Mike

Post #61257 25th Feb 2010 5:04 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Mike - I hope you're not oe of those drivers who occupies the middle lane of the motorway when there is nothing in the inside lane!
Please tell me you are aren't Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #61261 25th Feb 2010 5:37 pm
Carnoch

Sounds like it.

Maybe mike has spent a bit of time in the States and hasn't got used to driving back here. It's a dead easy system over there and doesnt seem to cause any grief.

Post #61263 25th Feb 2010 5:45 pm
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Re: Respect from other road users

Junior wrote:
In my previous vehicle, A Kia I would find myself being regularly tail-gated and even abused whilst being passed particularly on the M55 motorway, But in freda although my driving mantra is unchanged I haven't really experienced this?

This is because in Freda you are travelling at 75mph as indicated..... in the Kia, although 75 was indicated it was only doing 65/66mph and you were holding up faster vehicles.

Post #61264 25th Feb 2010 5:47 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

middle lane for me. truck lane is too bumpy/ rutted bit with an eye on the mirror to make sure nobody is coming up behind. or more in truth fast lane all the way with an eye on the mirror At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #61265 25th Feb 2010 5:55 pm
Junior

England 

Sorry Ralph, I'm afraid so, I use the slow lane only when I'm towing the van and when not it's the middle lane all the way as chicken says there are a lot of lorries (and Caravans) especially on the M55 and saves weaving in and out live a demented dervish.

Carnoch- I've never been to the USA, I prefer to holiday within our own beautiful Islands and your glorious part of the world in particular.

Firestar- you are probably correct regarding the accuracy of the Kia speedometer however such speeds are a lot smoother in Freda and while traveling at 75 by rights there shouldn't be anyone passing anyhow.

Mike

Post #61284 25th Feb 2010 6:53 pm
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

So on a pretty much empty motorway you'd be sat in the middle lane even if somebody catches up from behind??? Embarassed TBH, that really does beggar belief and it's actually an offence... Shocked

Post #61453 27th Feb 2010 12:35 am
chicken george

When it is clear to pass on the fast lane then whats the problem? Aslong as I was travelling at at least 65 mph. Why go to all the bother of weaving in and out of the trucks/caravans when the fast lane is available for faster cars to get past.
Obviously on busier motorways lane discipline must be stricter. Although in reality I'm generally among the faster cars anyway. At work
At home

Post #61454 27th Feb 2010 1:07 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

RESPECT
I was told there isn't a slow ,middle and fast lane. There is lane 1, lane 2, lane 3, All have the same speed limit 70mph for cars unless other wise stated .
(I think this limit should be changed - like in France- when the roads are dry and wet theres a different speed limit)
Lane 2 and 3 are overtaking lanes only ?? most drivers in the UK think lane 2 is there own personal lane. And a lot of German car drivers think lane 3 is for them only , must be inbuilt in to the car when made.

Hgv can only use lane 1 and 2 and should be limited to 56mph depending on age of hgv. not sure about coaches

But are we good driver's on the motorways in England -no- ?? Well most of use have NEVER had a driving lesson on a Motorway unlike in other country's.

I have driven all over Europe for almost 20 years and in the states and Canada. and possible coved approx half a million miles of driving in all my years of driving- not a many as some i guess but I have seen a lot of silly things on the roads in that time.
(have a 3 and half week holiday booked this year for the states this year Rolling with laughter )

And I'm alway shocked of the poor driving every time I return.

We should all have respect for each other on the road-watch everybody and don't trust anybody-
Sorry for the rant had a bad night sleep ???

Try driving a Range Rover Junior you get a lot more Respect, but no one will let you pull out, but saying that no one will pull out in front of you. and the Police will follow you more (there think you have Nicked it)
Happy motoring to use all. Thumbs Up

Last edited by jp on 27th Feb 2010 12:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #61462 27th Feb 2010 10:25 am
phillm03

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

Good reply JP - as a police trained advanced driver I could not agree more, lane 1 is the only one to be in unless overtaking. I fthere is a lot of slower moving traffic in lane 1 then OK to stay in 2 whilst moving past them all. Middle lane huggers are a pain and danger to other road users. 2009 XS Manual in Martinique Blue with XS Style Pack, Privacy Glass, 19" Alloys, Private Plates, Wood Company centre armrest, stainless steel sill protectors.

Post #61463 27th Feb 2010 10:51 am
ad210358

England 

chicken george wrote:
When it is clear to pass on the fast lane then whats the problem? Aslong as I was travelling at at least 65 mph. Why go to all the bother of weaving in and out of the trucks/caravans when the fast lane is available for faster cars to get past.
Obviously on busier motorways lane discipline must be stricter. Although in reality I'm generally among the faster cars anyway.

OK CG 5am yesterday morning, northbound M40 no vehicles about much except the odd Beemer in lane 3 touching on super sonic, I am doing about 70mph and I catch up a Mondeo sat in lane two doing just under the 70mph as our speeds a similar I have slowly caught him up he had not overtaken a thing for four miles yet there he is in lane two (Member of the Train Drivers Union) I then have to pull from lane one, into lane two then lane three then back across two and back to one because of this CLOC Member, I watched a number of vehicles not bother to pull out and pass him but just stay in lane one and undertake him, which again is another offence but which you see more and more caused by CLOC members.

Post #61465 27th Feb 2010 11:34 am
Carnoch

Phil, is that your a trained Police driver or an advanced driver, who was given a few tips by the Plod?

I agree with what you said, but the majority of the Plod can't drive for toffee in honesty. They have a lousy accident record and don't practice what they preach.

Post #61486 27th Feb 2010 1:53 pm
phillm03

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

Hi Carnoch - my old company insisted that we company car drivers were trained and passed the advanced driving test every 3 years - so in answer to your question it is not me as a police driver but being trained by ex police driving instructors. I agee most police drivers are pretty rubbish but they should at least know the theory, but like most drivers choose not to put it into practice. Following the principles of Roadcraft certainly makes for better and safer driving when it is put into practice.

BTW - I passed my last 2 Advanced Driving Tests at Gold standard level so it was a bit more than just being given a few tips by plod and the test does include motorway driving. 2009 XS Manual in Martinique Blue with XS Style Pack, Privacy Glass, 19" Alloys, Private Plates, Wood Company centre armrest, stainless steel sill protectors.

Post #61491 27th Feb 2010 2:25 pm
Carnoch

Just wondered. I know Roadcraft. Also done the, 'today as all days, I will drive this car according to the system of car control, which is ................' 21 point starting drill etc.

Post #61494 27th Feb 2010 2:29 pm
chicken george

ad210358 wrote:

OK CG 5am yesterday morning, northbound M40 no vehicles about much except the odd Beemer in lane 3 touching on super sonic, I am doing about 70mph and I catch up a Mondeo sat in lane two doing just under the 70mph as our speeds a similar I have slowly caught him up he had not overtaken a thing for four miles yet there he is in lane two (Member of the Train Drivers Union) I then have to pull from lane one, into lane two then lane three then back across two and back to one because of this CLOC Member, I watched a number of vehicles not bother to pull out and pass him but just stay in lane one and undertake him, which again is another offence but which you see more and more caused by CLOC members.

then he is not using his mirrors, why do you feel the need to pull right into lane 1 on an empty road? just stay in 2, so you can overtake blokes like that easily , what ever lane you want is fine by me aslong as you use the mirrors and pull over where appropriate.
People who get annoyed by middle laners cause way more problems than the middle laners themselves.
I like the middle lane on empty roads as if I had a blow out etc etc there would be much more room to manoeuvre. At work
At home

Last edited by chicken george on 27th Feb 2010 2:39 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #61496 27th Feb 2010 2:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>