Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Help please! Am I about to make a mistake! FL2 or Q5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gerry

Help please! Am I about to make a mistake! FL2 or Q5

I'm in a dilemma which we all go through at times. I'm updating our familiy car. We have 2 boys (3 and 6) and love the practicality of the freelander as well as the appointments and potential 4wd abilities. Port Stephens is a regular destination and Stockton sand dunes etc have always been looked at by us jealously from the sidelines. Having said that, I must admit the main use for our car will be day 2 day school beach shopping duties (Sorry I'm a true SUVer!)

The FL2 HSE diesel with premium pack and roof (White with ebony interior) has really taken me.i went to see it after reading the drive.com suv feature not expecting too much but was really impressed. It's a tug of war between that and a 2.0 TDI which comes in at essentially the same negotiated price (65kish) with the mod con options I want. It too is impressive but in a different way.

My head says in 4 years the q5 (being essentially a new model) will hold value better and keep the wife happy. The FL2 has better useable space for a family and is more loveable to both of us but we're not sure. We never see any other FL2s around so have very little feedback to go on where as Audis are everywhere in Sydney with generally happy owners.Also due to the poor reputation of the previous models we're being advised by most to go the Audi. We're told servicing is exy where as the Q9 has 30000 service intervals.

I'd reallly appreciate your comments.

Post #51826 9th Dec 2009 11:22 am
hon3009

United Kingdom 

With 2 kids to carry i'd go for the freeander as theQ5 does seem small inside and the boot smaller than the fl2, plus it would be more fun in the sand than being pulled out of it by a tractor in the audi.

as for resale value the audi will hold it's price better but not as much as you may think, and as word gets round about the fl2 better build and relaibility over last generatio prices should hold up well.

one option i'd say is essential is the automatic suits the car so much better than the manual, if you haven't tried one yet ask for a test drive you'll be suprised how good it is.

cheers H Thumbs Up

Post #51830 9th Dec 2009 12:16 pm
Lakmal

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Rimini Red

I bought the FL2 8 months ago and I'm absolutely loving it. I like the command driving position, especially when driving home after a stressfull day at work. Driving to and from office (25km each way) became the favourite part of my day since i boutght the FL2. To be very honest, if i get to go back in life for 8 months and i get to choose between the Audi / X3 and Fl2, I would still choose FL2.

Financially, with the resale value I do not expect FL2 to do better than Audi. However, I'd rather drive the car i enjoy driving than the car that gives me the best resale value. Landrover has always been in the heavy duty 4WD market. Freelander will need its time to establish in this recently created compact premium SUV segment. 2009 i6 SE

Post #51831 9th Dec 2009 12:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

When changing my old freelander 2 to my new one i looked at the Q5

In the UK, the Q5 spec was minimal and i'ed have to spend ££££ to spec it to the leval of a FL2 HSE

I was looking at the Q5 3.0TDi and when sitting in it, been 6'3" i found the driving position to be very snug, and built up around me, nothing wrong but not as roomy as the FL2.

I also found that my head banged the ceiling above the door which is something i definatly couldn't live with and have never found in the FL2 either

Obviously on a Freelander 2 Forum we'll be a bit biased, but your sound to have made the right colour choice, like me

Click image to enlarge
 Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #51832 9th Dec 2009 12:37 pm
gerry

Thanks for the input. I'm looking at the auto which drives great. I also like the sunroof. Is heat an issue for anyone with one as the curtain seems little defense against that on a hot day?Thanks too npinks. The white looks great (as your photo shows) but it only works on certain cars like the FL2 (not on the q5 imho). White is the new black!

Last edited by gerry on 9th Dec 2009 12:44 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #51833 9th Dec 2009 12:38 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The sunroof, is supposed to be laminated with a UV film, that allows light but not heat through, but people have different thoughts on how effective this is

In the UK i haven't a problem Laughing

Merged topics, as no point in duplicating answers Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #51834 9th Dec 2009 12:42 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

No problem with sunroof heat here in Aberdeen Whistle

Post #51835 9th Dec 2009 12:48 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The FL2 is a great vehicle in every respect Thumbs Up Some forum members have had a few niggley problems, but I suspect they are a minority. My Freely is just over two years old is used both on and off asphalt and we have never had any of the problems some other forum members have had. DPF (diesel particle filter) FULL Visit Dealer - was the only one and which was sorted out immediately by the dealer. There are some cosmetic issues with the interior design, but apart from the pleather seating (half imitation and half real leather) but otherwise I have no complaints about its functional design. The equipment on the HSE model is worth every extra penny and if you can afford it go for an automatic (I didn’t, but don’t really regret it). Driving the car is a dream, and we never get driving fatigue after 4+ hours driving up to our mountain playground (for example) and is also surprisingly economical in my experience. I know the Australian roads pretty well having driven a fair bit around in Queensland, NSW and NT and would say that the FL2 is the perfect vehicle for your country, as it is Norway.

Going from a BMW 3-series I was a little disappointed at first about some of the LR design features, but since getting used to a completely different type of vehicle can now honestly say that it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I don’t know the Q5 and to be honest I don’t ever want to. To me Audi interiors are far too “fancy” and exteriors are too “fashionable”. As a purely urban car the Q5 is probably ok, but if you want to go outback or even sanding then the FL2 must be a better vehicle. As for Audi’s reliability, well I would really suggest you check up on how the Q5 fare compared with the competition. I know several people that have had new Audis earlier (several vehicles in a row even) but would never own one again because of the numerous serious problems they have had.

Could write more, but I hope this helps you in some way Question . 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #51836 9th Dec 2009 1:01 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Loving my FL2 to bits and just about everybody that toook a ride with me is impressed by it.

Only thing I would change and which is entirely my own fault is, I'd go automatic next time. Though logical for offroading the first gear is too short and get a bit annoying in day to day use.

My dealer adviced me to go auto, but I stuck to the manual, which in hindsight is a bit fo a mistake.

Mind you, it's still a fantastic drive on the manual, but tha auto would make it just that little bit more... you know.
I'm still looking constantly for excuses to drive it.

From the day the Q5 came out it did not sway me. It just looks too much like any other SUV and comparing prices it's also much much more expensive. So if the FL2 would depreciate more, look at the actual monay amout it loses compared to the Q5. It might not be so much of a difference in the end.

If you do choose the Q5 I hope you won't be driving it with the idea that you'd rather have the FL2. Don't reason the hell out of it, leave some space for emotions and feel good factor.

Post #51839 9th Dec 2009 2:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Audi. fine residuals, great interior quality go for it Thumbs Up
2.0 tdi engine is not without faults , my A3 had a new cylinder head at 50,000mile/3 year old Confused

but then again the FL2 is an excellent choice. bigger, ,possibly better engine. Get one be different , (but white? Shocked )

If the Q5 had been around a year earlier in the UK I may have had one myself. LR dont deserve sales after the heap of Censored FL1 , but the FL2 is totally different to old freelanders.

hope I have been of some help Confused

(If you buy the Audi ,we WILL find you and punish you Evil or Very Mad Whistle ) At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #51841 9th Dec 2009 2:35 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Freely everytime! Although I've been left extremely unimpressed by Audi customer service in the past. Also, when I had a go in a Q5 it just seemed like an A4 estate, with less interior space, and not really any higher so you don't get the benefit of the high driving position. And the ride quality is much better in the Freelander. But that's just my opinion! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #51843 9th Dec 2009 2:40 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:

If the Q5 had been around a year earlier in the UK I may have had one myself.

OH if only........ Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #51844 9th Dec 2009 3:26 pm
gerry

Thanks for the input. Will take the wife and kids on Saturday to compare side by side(They sell both). The pricing is essentially the same so it's a tough choice but a side by side drive and practicality test will help I hope.

Post #51867 9th Dec 2009 8:47 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

We too test drove the Q5, amongst quite a few others, before finally going for a FL2 HSE manual.

the Q5 is a nice car but the FL2 has that something extra that you can't quite put your finger on until you drive it.

I went for the manual ( as I still prefer to be in full control ) and have nothing but praise for the manual box, but I've only ever heard good things about the auto, so it really depends what suits you.

good luck

Iain

Post #51875 10th Dec 2009 9:49 am
nosliwedaw

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

My 2c.

The Freelander has the X factor that the Q5 doesn't.

The Q5 will be a cheaper car to run. The 6 month service intervals for the FL2 in Aus are a JOKE and the price they charge for them Big Cry

The Freelander will walk all over the Q5 anywhere off the bitumen, has more space and is possibly a little more comfortable.

Take a long test drive of both back to back, consider the difference in ownerships costs(I think the FL2 won't be much worse, if any resale wise) and it should be pretty easy to work out.

Best of luck, they are both nice cars, they just have a different focus.

Post #51879 10th Dec 2009 11:43 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>