« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Don't see much FL2 around
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Huang

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Don't see much FL2 around

Not sure if it's just me, but I haven't been able to find much people driving FL2 on Melbourne roads. It seems that X3 dominates or people spend less and go for the Forester, X-Trail (though a different class).

I find it weird considering how good a car FL2 is. I guess it's the publicity and stuff. The public seems to only connect LR to Disco and RR. They're unaware of what a good package the FL2 is.

Anyways, on the bright side, it means the car stands out, they're not littered everywhere.

Post #51226 30th Nov 2009 7:44 am
athelstan

It's the same here in Switzerland - the place is absolutely full of RR & RRS but ever since FL2 was launched they've only sold 214 units so far. It is indeed a testament to the weaker communication skills of those responsible for LR marketing (when compared to their opposite number in other brands - particularly Subaru), and possibly (in the CH market) a list pricing strategy that for the FL2 is circa 12% too rich.

But, for our family we are happy that we have the only FL2 in the area.

Post #51227 30th Nov 2009 8:15 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Very much the same in Norway, although I am not sure how many FL2 units have been sold in 2009, certainly not many. Here it is mostly X3, Audi (whatever is the equivalent), Honda CRV, VW Tiguan and Toyota RAV4 that dominates the newer 4x4 market. X-trails were popular but now not so. Price may be the big factor here as most owners go for high spec models and the top model FL2's are relatively expensive. Also Toyota, VW, BMW and Audi are respected brand names here whereas the Land Rover brand is associated with problems and unreliability due to earlier models. Land Rover's future does not look very bright in Norway at the present because we now no longer have a proper distributor network. Many of the larger LR’s (Range Rover models) are privately imported from Europe and not purchased through a local distributor network. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #51230 30th Nov 2009 9:18 am
Lakmal

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Rimini Red

I have seen about 5-6 freelander 2s since i bought mine in April. I think its more about poor marketing by LR than anything else. Besides, Landrover is not a Toyota Camry / Ford Territory. Its a unique market, so it will take its time to expand.

By the way, for people arround Melbourne, I did some off roading arround Bright and the Freelander clearly exceeed my expectations... 2009 i6 SE

Post #51243 30th Nov 2009 11:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Huang

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Yes I agree with the poor marketing, I am predicting the next model (LRX) to be a hit based on the concept model.

Where else in Melb or surrounds is a good place to go off-roading or driving on beaches?

Post #51354 2nd Dec 2009 4:09 am
Lakmal

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Rimini Red

There are few easy to medium tracks in Bunyup State Forest - Close to Genbrook. Make sure you have a good map as the maps in Parks Victoria Webste is not very clear. 2009 i6 SE

Post #51368 2nd Dec 2009 11:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

FL2's are very common in Kent Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #51371 2nd Dec 2009 11:56 am
OSHANDA

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

I think there's a problem with how they're positioned in the market in Australia. It feels to me like the FL2 is an orphan caught between the cheaper Foresters, RAV4s, Outlanders and X-Trails at the bottom end and the BMW X3 etc at the top end.

I looked at the Auto Club (RACV, NRMA etc) evaluations last year and they were comparing the FL2 with the Xtrail etc - of course it lost on price.

My personal bias is to compare it with the BMW X3 and Audi Q5, or possibly a VW Tiguan. It's more capable than all of them off road and has more cargo space than most of them. But it isn't as sharp on the road.

Personally I bought it because it's a true all rounder - on road, off road, you name it the car has done it. I've done 65k KM in mine in two and half years and it has never skipped a beat. When the lease is up on it in 6 months time I'll be looking at another one, the only change will be the colour.

I think Land Rover need to do better at marketing it here.

Cheers,

Darren Reflect on the past and plan for the future. But, above all - LIVE FOR THE MOMENT!!!

Post #55408 16th Jan 2010 12:00 pm
reklaw1947

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Alaska White

I couldn't agree more re LR marketing. I looked at many options before downsizing from a D2 and I couldn't come up with a better all round vehicle, well equipped and priced. Very Happy My wife finds it easy to use around the city for her work and it handles the regular towing that I do for my business. I suspect the FL2 suffers from the reputation of it's predecessor in Australia even though I haven't read one poor report on the FL2 to date; my dealer said they did everything to try to convince LR Aust to change the name but to no avail. Sad Our secret I guess!
Rob 2009 TD4 SE, Alaska White, Ebony Leather, Sun Roof.

Post #55412 16th Jan 2010 12:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1