Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Lifting The Car And Buying New Shocks & Spings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dean1234

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue
Lifting The Car And Buying New Shocks & Spings

Good morning all,

I am looking at buying and having Muddy Mods fit their lift kit to my 145,000 mile Freelander 2. As a bit of preventative maintenance and a bit of "while they are in there", I'm looking at renewing the suspension all round. Firstly, is there anything other than the shocks and springs that I should be looking at replacing that's easier to do while the suspension is off such as top mounts or the likes? Or can most other stuff other than the shocks and springs be done later down the line in that area?

I'm trying to keep costs down as much as I can but by the same token I don't want to not do something that means redropping the suspension is 6 months time and almost pay for the same job twice if you get what I mean.

Secondly, what brand and where to buy the shocks and springs from? From my online browsing I have come up with this little list:

CarParts4Less aka Euro Car Parts.

4x KYB Shocks
4x Sachs Springs

£587.26

Island 4x4.

4x BWI Shocks
2x OEM Springs
2x Britpart Springs

£431.90

-OR-

4x Britpart Shocks
2x OEM Springs
2x Britpart Springs

£381.94

Advanced Factors.

2x Rear Coil Springs
2x Kilen Springs
4x BWI Shocks

£478.90 inc delivery

-OR-

2x Rear Coil Springs
2x Kilen Springs
4x Meyle Shocks

£453.16 inc delivery

Or should I mix and match and maybe get the sachs springs from CarParts4Less and Shocks from somewhere else for example?

Thanks for any advice that you can give. Thumbs Up

Post #421829 31st May 2022 8:51 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I be inclined to get all 4 of the same make but don't suppose it's critical to do so. Definitely change top mounts while in there. How are the bushes in the suspension arms and ball joints looking? They are disconnected when replacing struts. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #421831 31st May 2022 9:29 am
Dean1234

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

I'm going to hold my hands up and say that I'm no mechanic, but I vaguely know enough to get by. Laughing I'm just trying to make a shopping list and get an idea of overall cost before I take the final plunge.

With Freelanders, would I need just the top mount bearing https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr018785...0264-p.asp or would I need the mount https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr032578...0263-p.asp and the bearing? I know when my partner had the top mounts done on her mini it come as 1 item, where as it looks like everything is separate on the freelander from what I can see. Smile

Would it be possible for you to point out which bushes and ball joints in the following images (if I found the correct images) you would look at checking/replacing. I'm going to guess at 145,000 miles every ball joint or bush is either going to be classed as well worn or in need of replacing. Laughing

Post #421836 31st May 2022 11:08 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

While you have the boot panel trims out add some acoustic insulation. There are also the trim clip part numbers in this link. The 2 boot hooks turn anticlockwise 90° to remove.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #421837 31st May 2022 11:15 am
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Make sure you get some of these LR003915 Pad - Anti-Squeak.

Post #421843 31st May 2022 6:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1