Home > Technical > Consumption has increased in recent months
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Galen

Romania 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Indus Silver
Consumption has increased in recent months

Hello colleagues,
Freel 2 TD4 (2.2 turbo 152kw). The usual consumption in the last two years was 8.4l/100km outside and about 10l/100km in the city. Average somewhere around 8.7. Starting from the winter, the average consumption (read on board) outside the city has increased steadily. 8.7 then 9.4, to reach 10.4 now in June. And urban at 14 liters/100km. Obviously I changed the air filter to no effect. Using my own tester (Vident) I found that I have no OBD2 errors and that in real time all the sensors are working. I understand that the MAP sensor, the turbocharger and obviously the lambda probes affect consumption. Has anyone else had this problem? What did he replace to fix?

Post #433460 20th Jun 2023 8:46 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

You may get an improvement by putting a full bottle of Injector Cleaner in a quarter or less tank of fuel.

Post #433467 20th Jun 2023 9:56 am
blaster1232

Latvia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

check if calipers move freely and hanbrake pads are not too tight.

Post #433472 20th Jun 2023 11:56 am
alex_pescaru

Lambda probe lifespan is about 200K Km...
MAP and MAF can be cleaned.

Post #433478 20th Jun 2023 2:45 pm
Galen

blaster1232 wrote:

Thank you all for the advice. I didn't notice any heating, but I'll check carefully on the first road test.

Last edited by Galen on 22nd Jun 2023 11:37 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #433532 22nd Jun 2023 11:08 am
Galen

alex_pescaru wrote:

I cleaned the MAP and MAF when I changed the glow plugs. In the technical manual it says that there would be 4 lambda sensors two before the DPF two after. I identified two at the exit from the turbo and one at the exit from the DPF, I think it would be interesting to change the one identified by the arrow. It's just that it's almost impossible to get to it, maybe from the front right wheel I could try. The connector doesn't seem too easy to reach either.

Last edited by Galen on 22nd Jun 2023 8:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #433534 22nd Jun 2023 11:30 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Galen wrote:
blaster1232 wrote:

Thank you all for the advice. I didn't notice any heating, but I'll check carefully on the first road test.

Best to remove the wheels and physically check you don't have a sticking caliper or brake pad. Ideally remove the pads, clean the contact areas, check the caliper pistons are moving ok, remove clean and grease the slider pins and rebuild.
Easy to say if you are able to and have appropriate tools I suppose, any garage could do this, 2 hrs labour max I'd assume. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #433536 22nd Jun 2023 12:51 pm
lrman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

Galen wrote:
alex_pescaru wrote:

I cleaned the MAP and MAF when I changed the spark plugs. In the technical manual it says that there would be 4 lambda sensors two before the DPF two after. I identified two at the exit from the turbo and one at the exit from the DPF, I think it would be interesting to change the one identified by the arrow. It's just that it's almost impossible to get to it, maybe from the front right wheel I could try. The connector doesn't seem too easy to reach either.

The one arrowed in your first picture is a lambda sensor. The second sensor in the first picture is an exhaust gas temperature sensor. The one arrowed in the 2nd picture is (I think) the pressure take off for the DPF differential pressure reading. Mine (2007) only has the one lambda sensor, looking at the manual I think that is true of all of them. If you have a dpf then you have two pressure take of points (before and after the dpf) and two temperature sensors. One by the lambda sensor, one before the dpf.

I didn't find the lambda sensor that hard to get to (I have just changed mine), I used a 2foot breaker bar and a sensor socket and just reached up from where you camera is in the first picture. Maybe I was lucky but mine came out pretty easily.

btw. You mentioned changing the spark plugs. We are talking about a TD4 are we not? They don't have spark plugs so perhaps a translation error? Maybe you meant glow plugs? FL2 2007 2.2d Auto SE. Baltic Blue.

Post #433543 22nd Jun 2023 8:27 pm
Galen

Irman, thanks for the clarifications. I guessed well that the sensor that needs to be changed is the arrowed one in the first photo. 5-wire adjustment sensor. I'll probably have to find someone with 1.5m arms to help me change the sensor Laughing

My bad, I made a translation error, it's TD4-2007.

Post #433544 22nd Jun 2023 8:46 pm
I Like Chips

If you have a DPF on a 2007 it must have been an added fitment put on at the factory. There are two EGT's Exhaust Gas Temperature sensors and one O2 sensor.

Post #433546 23rd Jun 2023 7:00 am
Galen

Thanks for the explanations, in the meantime I've looked into the manual. "Inflation" of oxygen sensors only has the petrol Freel2 variant. The 2007 TD4 has exactly as you say and I photographed, the heated oxygen sensor and the differential pressure sensor system before and after the DPF. Today the ordered o2 (lambda) sensor arrives and I am trying to replace it. I still have doubts about approaching this operation, from under the car, or from the side from the right wheel?

Post #433624 26th Jun 2023 7:25 am
lrman

I would start by trying it from underneath. That is what I did and managed fine.
If you find access from there a problem (you do have pressure take off pipes I don't have) then maybe then try from a wheel arch.

edit: the wiring connector and securing clip can be got from above. The clip is a bit difficult to see so needs doing more by feel but it is possible. FL2 2007 2.2d Auto SE. Baltic Blue.

Post #433647 26th Jun 2023 6:38 pm
I Like Chips

I replaced mine from underneath too, you need a sensor socket set, the EGT ones are 14mm. Can't remember the O2 size but a quick search on here will no doubt tell you

Post #433648 26th Jun 2023 7:29 pm
lrman

the o2 sensors are 22mm. FL2 2007 2.2d Auto SE. Baltic Blue.

Post #433649 26th Jun 2023 7:37 pm
Galen

Dear colleagues, with your encouragement, I almost succeeded. In the sense that the actual replacement of the probe did not cause me any difficulties. Up top, after demoing the intake pipes, I immediately found the connector and it came off easily. For access, just cut a plastic clamp that reinforces the wiring. Yes, the best access to the sensor was underneath. I made room by removing a metal cross bridge, then removing the differential pressure transducer piping from the bracket. Then the sensor came off relatively easily using just a 22 spanner. Unfortunately the drum-mounting holender of one of the pressure transducer pipes gave way like it was made of glass (it was baked), so I'd say I was partially successful. I will now have to look for a similar part. The drum stud thread doesn't look great either, but I hope it holds up. All in all, the problem is solved. I can't wait to get the broken part to evaluate the consumption. As you can see the old sensor doesn't look too good, it's covered in soot. Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Post #433655 26th Jun 2023 9:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>