Home > Technical > New to Landrover but a few questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Nebulaman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Fuji White
New to Landrover but a few questions

Hi

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 2013 FL2 TD4 manual. Now, I’m used to driving Mercedes with any noises or leaks being concerning. I’m now having to examine every stutter, whine and rattle before comparing other people’s experiences to check that it’s “normal for Landrover”.

I have a few issues that divide opinions on forums, YouTube etc. My car has a warranty but I don’t want to have the car examined only for it to be nothing and thus liable for the cost.

So here goes!

1) Massive turbo lag. I put my foot down and it takes a good 1-2 seconds for the power to react.

2) Oil in the air intake downstream on the return pipe.

3) Oil around the turbo seal

4) At 2500 rpm there is a sound from the turbo/front diff area like a stone in a brake calliper.

There are no codes using an OBD2 (except for a clutch sensor voltage issue and some minor niggles but I don’t think the battery has been replaced for a while so I’ll try that first).

When I bought the car the garage found an issue with the EGR/DPF system (blocked pipe?) and they couldn’t get the part so they replaced the lot. My 12 yo son who is a Landrover nut, thinks that they’ve knocked something when they replaced it and didn’t notice.

So thanks for reading this far. I welcome your thoughts and helping me decide if it’s worth trying a warranty repair. Even better would be suggestions for a DIY fix!

Post #433728 29th Jun 2023 7:57 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

1, there is some lag, but nothing like the lag on the wife's Audi A5.
2, oil in the boost pipes is normal, it comes from the breather.
3, again normal. It's probably dripping down from the intake pipe joint across the top of the engine.
4, check all 4 boost hoses for splits.
Check all DPF sensor hoses are free from splits too. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #433729 29th Jun 2023 10:34 pm
Nebulaman

Thanks Nodge68. Puts my mind at rest. My son said something about pinprick holes or tears in the various pipes. I’ll give them all the once over.
Smile

Post #433730 30th Jun 2023 12:09 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have the Ford ecoboost petrol engine, the turbo lag can be irritating at times. Usually ok off at the lights, but more of an issue when halfway between changing one's decision due to nature of traffic situation. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #433732 30th Jun 2023 6:36 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

@nebulaman
"When I bought the car the garage found an issue with the EGR/DPF system (blocked pipe?) and they couldn’t get the part so they replaced the lot. My 12 yo son who is a Landrover nut, thinks that they’ve knocked something when they replaced it and didn’t notice."

I would want to know exactly what they have done and replaced.
Although the EGR and DPF are both emissions control systems they are quite different things and reside in different areas of the engine bay and are independent of each other.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation systems became the norm long before Diesel Particulate Filters were mandatory. Jules

Post #433735 30th Jun 2023 8:14 am
Nebulaman

Lightwater wrote:
I have the Ford ecoboost petrol engine, the turbo lag can be irritating at times. Usually ok off at the lights, but more of an issue when halfway between changing one's decision due to nature of traffic situation.

It feels like a hesitant kickdown with an auto box. I had to double check I had a manual!

Post #433737 30th Jun 2023 9:49 am
Nebulaman

jules wrote:
@nebulaman
"When I bought the car the garage found an issue with the EGR/DPF system (blocked pipe?) and they couldn’t get the part so they replaced the lot. My 12 yo son who is a Landrover nut, thinks that they’ve knocked something when they replaced it and didn’t notice."

I would want to know exactly what they have done and replaced.
Although the EGR and DPF are both emissions control systems they are quite different things and reside in different areas of the engine bay and are independent of each other.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation systems became the norm long before Diesel Particulate Filters were mandatory.

I’m not entirely sure. The salesman said there was an issue with either the DPF, EGR or both but he wasn’t sure. When I picked up the car he said there was a blocked breather tube in one of the systems but he couldn’t remember which. They had a few months lead time on the tube order so they bit the bullet and replaced the lot as a full kit came with the tube. I thought I had a bit of paper with the details but I can’t find it. Looking under the car there has been a lot replaced at the inner end of the exhaust system.
The garage didn’t say much about what they replaced. I got home and found out they had put on new tyres, suspension control arms on the front, new auxiliary belts and an oil service. I’m sure I’ll find more if I look. I’d much rather that than hiding things or claiming no knowledge!

Post #433738 30th Jun 2023 9:56 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I'm just wondering if they've replaced a part of the emissions equipment, and not done an air path calibration. Replacing any part of the air path equipment requires an air path calibration be carried out, or it won't perform correctly.
My own TD4 manual has maybe 1 second lag, before the turbo begins to boost. It's not electric car instant, but it's not bad compared to the wife's Audi.
Anything longer than 1 second would suggest something is amis. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #433741 30th Jun 2023 11:14 am
Nebulaman

I think the plan of action will be to check pipes for holes and fitting correctly. If that doesn’t help then down to an Indy for a plug in and/or calibration. Might need that if replacing the battery doesn’t cure the clutch sensor (C1A41 fault).

Post #433742 30th Jun 2023 11:36 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

When I replaced the EGR valve earlier this year myself - afterwards it started and ran OK but felt sluggish and after a few miles it went into limp mode.
An air path calibration solved the poor problem and its been great since.
I couldn't do the calibration but a friend of a friend had the equipment and the knowhow and did it for me. Jules

Post #433744 30th Jun 2023 2:26 pm
Nebulaman

Thanks for all your help and pointers. It looks like I’ve got a large hole in the O/S intercooler hose. As I’ve got to dismantle the front of the car I may as well replace all the intercooler hoses with silicone pipes. I know there are other parts I can get to whilst the bumper is off but I don’t think I can stretch to a throttle body yet and I don’t think it’s causing any problems at the moment.

The problems I first described haven’t manifested themselves the past couple of days but if they return after I’ve done the intercooler pipes I’ll get it plugged in for a calibration.

Once again, thanks for putting my mind at ease and for providing some ideas.

Post #433787 1st Jul 2023 10:58 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Hi Nebulaman,

Glad you've identified the issue. Surprised it didnt go into limp mode?
I just replaced these intercooler pipes on Friday with silicon versions but can only find the 2 for the intake side struggling to find the 2 for the turbo side of the intercooler.
If you find them eill you post a link?

Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #433791 2nd Jul 2023 7:32 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

You may not be able to afford a throttle body but what about the kit that replaces the plastic gears with metal gears? It’s got to be worth considering as you’ll already have the front of the car off!

Post #433794 2nd Jul 2023 8:43 am
Nebulaman

Bobupndown wrote:
Hi Nebulaman,

Glad you've identified the issue. Surprised it didnt go into limp mode?
I just replaced these intercooler pipes on Friday with silicon versions but can only find the 2 for the intake side struggling to find the 2 for the turbo side of the intercooler.
If you find them eill you post a link?

It look like the damage occurred from the outside rather from the inside. Maybe the pressure is keeping things closed. I’m not sure I’ve got time on my side though before I get a warning!
I have found some hoses by dphsport on eBay. They have hoses for both sides of the intercooler. I am under the impression that it’s best to replace the jubilee clips with Mikalor clamps but I think it’s more from a practical sense rather than technical.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115561388230

[/url]

Last edited by Nebulaman on 2nd Jul 2023 4:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #433805 2nd Jul 2023 4:44 pm
Nebulaman

BossBob wrote:
You may not be able to afford a throttle body but what about the kit that replaces the plastic gears with metal gears? It’s got to be worth considering as you’ll already have the front of the car off!

Any recommendations as the world is flooded with substandard aftermarket parts and I’m really good at finding them!

Post #433806 2nd Jul 2023 4:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>