Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > sunroof 'forgot' open/close positions?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
inaftanaila

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
sunroof 'forgot' open/close positions?

Just added the Whispbars (fixed mounting points on the roof - http://www.freel2.com/forum/post217093.html#217093) and now I'm having this issue with the sunroof. Seems very tricky (hope it's not though!) and perhaps someone here can help.

After mounting the bars, I tried to open the sunroof, without realising it will get stuck. It did. Removed the front bar, sunroof started to operate again. But with a trick - it seems like it forgot the fully closed and fully open positions. Here's the behaviour now:
- I press the open button for the sunroof: it opens as normal, but when reaching the rear-most position, seems to hit something and then its protection mechanism kicks in and moves it a bit towards the front (just one cm or so). There's nothing to obstruct its movement, not on the roof (bars are removed now!) and not on its rails. Also, when looking at the rails, it seems like it's actually travelling the whole way - i.e. it's not stuck somewhere in the middle. Before the roof bars incident (described above) it would just go nicely to the end (roughly the same position as now) and just stop.
- from this position, I press the close/tilt button. It starts moving. If I take my finger off, it stops moving. So far so good, normal. I keep pressing the button, it reaches the fully closed position, but it does not stop! Simply moves on, and starts tilting. If I keep my finger on, it tilts up/down a couple of times, and then starts travelling back, bang again, protection kicks in, then it stops.

Tried to open it just partially (without allowing it to go all way backwards and have protection kick-in). It kinda works: when I press the close/tilt button, it will bring it forward, and stop moving in a somewhat closed position. "Somewhat" as it's not actually closed, it is some 5 mm higher than it should. If I tinker a bit with the buttons, I can get it to the closed position. This is of course no use, as if someone else than me operates it, there will be water leaks in the car for sure!

All in all, it works like it has forgotten its 'stops'. I suspect the backwards forced stop is actually triggered by it reaching its movement limit, as the controller would allow it to move a bit too far. Also, it misses the closed position - if I keep my finger on, it simply moves past this point and starts tilting - same thing, like the controller does not know where to stop it.

Have tried of course the 20s recalibrating procedure. When trying, the sunroof would move up to the tilted position, and at about sec. 14 would tilt up/down a couple of times, then starts moving backwards. All good, but then I get the same forced stop at the rear, it reverts (security mechanism) a bit, and stops. Does not start moving again even if I keep my finger on the button for two minutes or so.

Have tried the hard reset (disconnect the battery). Windows were reset, but roof behaved the same.

Have tried forcing a decalibration of the roof (disconnected battery with roof in an open position), then tried to calibrate. No luck.

I'm more or less without options now, and I would really appreciate some help from the forum. I don't use the sunroof much, but I'm one of those people who can't sleep properly if something they own does not work as it should. Also, there's a real risk of flooding the car - if someone else than me drives and tries to operate the roof, chances are that they will not close it properly.

Car is (still) under warranty, but with non-standard bars fitted (see above) and interior mood lights powered from the sunroof switch (http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5052-45.html) I guess the dealer would not be too happy to see me on this one! MY2011, TD4 Auto, Xenon headlights, fog lamps DRLs, sunroof, tinted windows, almond electric seats w/ lumbar support, leather steering wheel w/ audio controls, dog/luggage guard, ambient lights, flush Whispbars, Mantec sump&tank guards, Xtrons Head Unit

Last edited by inaftanaila on 17th Feb 2014 9:32 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #217105 16th Feb 2014 7:58 pm
alex_pescaru

1. Did you hear any noise(s) when it got stuck?

2. There is a factory default/calibration procedure, but you need a diagnostic equipment for that (SDD or equivalent). Talk with johnny_22_83 (as it has one) up until next weekend when I'll be in Bucharest.

Post #217109 16th Feb 2014 8:49 pm
inaftanaila

Alex - thanks a lot for the reply! Would be really great if we could meet next week - I'll PM you.
Regarding the sound - the sunroof was squeezed under the front bar - did not hear a breaking sound, but there was a bit of a creaking noise, as one could expect in such less fortunate scenario. Nothing that worried me at a time. When looking nothing seems to be broken / bent though. MY2011, TD4 Auto, Xenon headlights, fog lamps DRLs, sunroof, tinted windows, almond electric seats w/ lumbar support, leather steering wheel w/ audio controls, dog/luggage guard, ambient lights, flush Whispbars, Mantec sump&tank guards, Xtrons Head Unit

Post #217112 16th Feb 2014 9:02 pm
alex_pescaru

That creaking noise was afraid... From what I know, the sunroof is moved on the rails with the help of some cables.
These cables are winded/wrapped on some plastic wheels. It's possible that the default position of the cable vs. the moving carriage to be changed/shifted. Or worse some teeth to be shaved.
But let's not be so negative and see... Anyhow, I've tried to prepare you for the worst. Very Happy

Post #217118 16th Feb 2014 9:47 pm
Martin D

2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Santorini Black

My drivers seat lost its end positions, and I managed to sort by chance of holding forward button on and then starting engine, and it must of reset end points, probably way of the mark but maybe worth a try.
Obviously with sunroof buttons lol.

Post #217125 16th Feb 2014 10:17 pm
inaftanaila

Thanks Martin D - will give it a try today and report back. Long shot, but maybe it works.

Also, just to add to the above: went through the service manual today (it's online, Google does wonders) and just remembered that the roof used to have one-touch operations (i.e. one touch closing from the full open position, or the tilt-up position). They are lost now. Hopefully the reset procedure suggested by Alex will work, if not I'd better brace myself for some hardware failure. MY2011, TD4 Auto, Xenon headlights, fog lamps DRLs, sunroof, tinted windows, almond electric seats w/ lumbar support, leather steering wheel w/ audio controls, dog/luggage guard, ambient lights, flush Whispbars, Mantec sump&tank guards, Xtrons Head Unit

Post #217136 17th Feb 2014 8:49 am
inaftanaila

Martin D, your tip unfortunately did not work. Kept the button pushed, then started engine. Nothing happens. Sad

Thanks - was worth a try though! MY2011, TD4 Auto, Xenon headlights, fog lamps DRLs, sunroof, tinted windows, almond electric seats w/ lumbar support, leather steering wheel w/ audio controls, dog/luggage guard, ambient lights, flush Whispbars, Mantec sump&tank guards, Xtrons Head Unit

Post #217184 17th Feb 2014 1:44 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mine did the same, for no apparent reason, it would open/close shy of it's correct end points. It was under warranty so trip back to the dealer and they sorted it, but I don't know what procedure they used.

If you were to remove the roof bars, would the dealer know?

Had the same happen to my drivers seat twice now (first time was due to not knowing better, second time was my own fault), but again went back to the dealer and they recalibrated it. This last time though I don't think they have it quite right. I'll try Martin's reset trick.

Post #217222 17th Feb 2014 6:14 pm
inaftanaila

Quote:
If you were to remove the roof bars, would the dealer know?

SimonB - probably yes. The protection mouldings above the doors are drilled Smile now, and there were some plastic pins in the holes underneath, which I removed of course to fit the bars.

But... I saved the plastic pins and have a good friend owning a MY2011 Smile If nothing else works, I'll swap the mouldings, refit the pins and see what happens at the dealer... MY2011, TD4 Auto, Xenon headlights, fog lamps DRLs, sunroof, tinted windows, almond electric seats w/ lumbar support, leather steering wheel w/ audio controls, dog/luggage guard, ambient lights, flush Whispbars, Mantec sump&tank guards, Xtrons Head Unit

Post #217241 17th Feb 2014 9:31 pm
DrT

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Page 154 of the online manual describes a sunroof reset procedure, to re calibrate, if that's helpful.
Good luck! .... ah, just read your original post in full.... you've tried that .... Current: 2013 SD4 XS
Gone: 2012 Defender 90 2.2 SW XS
Previous: Defender 110 TD5 SW
Previous: Defender 90 300Tdi HT

Post #217640 22nd Feb 2014 2:38 pm
inaftanaila

Yup. Plus confirmed with Alex (thanks again Alex) that it does not seem to be software related. Dealer seems the only way, not keen to go, but hey - if that's what it takes... MY2011, TD4 Auto, Xenon headlights, fog lamps DRLs, sunroof, tinted windows, almond electric seats w/ lumbar support, leather steering wheel w/ audio controls, dog/luggage guard, ambient lights, flush Whispbars, Mantec sump&tank guards, Xtrons Head Unit

Post #217644 22nd Feb 2014 5:23 pm
DrT

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Good Luck Chap. Flighty and temperamental things, sunroofs; tend to avoid them myself. Dealer tried to persuade me to have one on my last Defender, but even he had to admit that it was bound to leak. Defender, just last week, replaced by Freelander. I'm coming around to the idea, gradually. 42 mpg down the M6 to Birmingham and back yesterday is helping me come to terms with the loss.... Current: 2013 SD4 XS
Gone: 2012 Defender 90 2.2 SW XS
Previous: Defender 110 TD5 SW
Previous: Defender 90 300Tdi HT

Post #217646 22nd Feb 2014 7:05 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Sad - Smile - Very Happy - Thumbs Up

Post #217688 23rd Feb 2014 11:44 am
inaftanaila

Status update: brought car the 'like new' state, removing the mods. Went to LR, who sorted out easily. Apparently it was still software-related and all they did was a calibration procedure. Could not get more from them of course, but this means that there's more to it than the 20sec reset procedure and the SDD reset procedure Alex tried.
Anyway - problem sorted - and thanks to all who gave suggestions/feedback. The thing works normally again, and will go back to its mostly dormant state of hardly ever being used. I think this is the only feature of the car for which I would not have paid - it just came with the package as the car was a preconfigured model... MY2011, TD4 Auto, Xenon headlights, fog lamps DRLs, sunroof, tinted windows, almond electric seats w/ lumbar support, leather steering wheel w/ audio controls, dog/luggage guard, ambient lights, flush Whispbars, Mantec sump&tank guards, Xtrons Head Unit

Post #218104 26th Feb 2014 10:31 pm
alex_pescaru

Glad it was sorted!
It intrigued me a little what you've said and browsing through my old files, I've found out this:
(Vezi ce-nseamna sa nu-mi fac temele? Laughing )

When observing a non-functioning sunroof, please follow the following procedure.
Should the automatic reset procedure prove unsuccessful, please repeat using manual reset procedure.

Post #218108 26th Feb 2014 10:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>