« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 44 of 49 <123 ... 434445 ... 474849>
Print this entire topic · 
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Mowog wrote:
I assume F1 is aiming to go electric eventually?
Where will this leave FE?

Does anyone know what the carrying capacity of a 44 tonne electric truck would be Rolling with laughter

I would imagine it would vary with the size of the battery pack. A trunk runner or supermarket work wouldn’t need a big battery as always returns to base. I guess it will just swap the whole battery just like forklifts do now for a fully charged battery ready for the next driver to start their shift.

Post #441511 11th May 2024 7:22 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

We have been in North West Australia, the length, number & tonnage of iron being exported every day, it's hard to get one's head around the numbers. One port, Port Dampier, about 1,000,000 tonnes per day.

These places look like hell on Earth, but it is what keeps spitting out car bodies every day.

Where there isn't a train, road trains were doing 4000 trips per 24 hours from mine to port. Mind boggling numbers.

'Fortescue said its current rail operations included 54 operating locomotives that hauled 16 train sets, together with other on-track mobile equipment; each train was able to haul 34,404 tonnes of iron ore in 244 ore cars.'

https://reneweconomy.com.au/fortescue-star...-on-rails/

'Currently, these rail operations consume tens of millions of litres of diesel a year – 82 million in financial year 2021 – and account for 11 per cent of Fortescue’s Scope 1 emissions.'

We have seen these trains, mind blowing just how long they are.

A few images of associated equipment:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Mining tools!
Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #441514 12th May 2024 6:19 am
Mowog

See Australia is doing its bit for the environment Rolling with laughter

Post #441515 12th May 2024 7:29 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Lightwater wrote:

https://reneweconomy.com.au/fortescue-star...-on-rails/

Thanks Lightwater for the interesting link - Williams Advanced Engineering are the suppliers of the 'Battery Systems' for Formula E Gen 1 & Gen 3, and are an offshoot of the Williams Grand Prix Engineering (F1) company.

The actual Battery System seems to be quite a lump to install in a racing car.

https://www.electricmotornews.com/gb/motor...formula-e/ FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #441516 12th May 2024 9:05 am
Kot

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

IanMetro wrote:
It seems that strange things are happening in Formula E as number of battery cycles are starting to add up, and the charge/discharge stresses are also getting larger.

This article says that they are having to limit the 'Attack Mode' (high power running) quite drastically.

Several teams, it seems, have been forced into 'emergency' battery replacements/repairs.

"The total Attack Mode activation time for this weekend’s Berlin E-Prix double-header has been reduced as a precaution due to growing concerns over the health of Formula E's batteries."

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/.../10609210/

So do EV F1 cars change batteries like ICE F1 change tyres? what happens to those batteries are they wasted? or can be recharged and used again?

Post #441517 12th May 2024 9:24 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Mowog wrote:

Does anyone know what the carrying capacity of a 44 tonne electric truck would be Rolling with laughter

F1 will very likely be electric in the next 5 years.

An electric artic with 6 axles could be allowed to have a maximum weight of 46 tons (if the legislation gets passed), which is still under the maximum 8.5T per axle limit.
Most HGV loads are limited by volume, not weight so the weight issue, isn't an issue in a vast majority of trips.

Just for reference, our recently ordered Ioniq 5 weights 2020kg, which isn't bad for a vehicle larger than the Freelander 2 it'll be replacing. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Up for sale.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #441521 12th May 2024 12:13 pm
Dartman the one

England 

The difference between an EV and a hybrid or a fossil fuelled car is the EV weighs the same, empty or full of fuel.
Regarding F1 and Formula-E, battery life, not charge life or range is considerably reduced when racing as the battery is subject to almost a short circuit at maximum acceleration, there is no way F1 will go to full electric in 5 years, if it did the spectacle and spectator enjoyment would be worse than now, also it wouldn't be environmentally friendly, the batteries would be useless after a few races even less if the rules stated the batteries had to be recharged during the race and the number of batteries used during a race were limited.
Where racing is involved money rules to win, if the rules are set to make it more environmentally friendly so would the spectacle be reduced and no spectacle, no TV involvement, no sponsors, QED no racing, Formula-E is pretty poor either racing or TV spectator sport, that god awful whine from the motors put me right off. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #441527 12th May 2024 1:37 pm
Nodge68

You're quite correct, an EV will weigh the same regardless of the state of charge (SOC) of the battery. However weight isn't the only contributor to range loss, there's also aerodynamic drag. So the more slippery the body, the longer the range with the same battery.
Tesla have this pretty much sorted, so a Tesla model 3 or Y will go further on a 70 kWhr battery than something like the Ioniq 5 we've ordered. However the Tesla looks horrible, and I hate that everything is in the centre screen, so we went for something better looking (IMO), and more conventional in design, even if we have to sacrifice some economy in the process.

I can't remember where I read it, but there are those that are pushing F1 to be electric.

Personally I think it would make more sense for all the support vehicles to be less polluting, as the amount of fuel the F1 cars burns is small by comparison to the support vehicles. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.

Post #441529 12th May 2024 1:58 pm
Dartman the one

England 

The F1 support vehicles are only used in the European phase of the season, for the rest of the season it's air transport and local container transport companies. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #441530 12th May 2024 2:05 pm
Mowog

Nodge68 wrote:
Mowog wrote:

F1 will very likely be electric in the next 5 years.

An electric artic with 6 axles could be allowed to have a maximum weight of 46 tons (if the legislation gets passed), which is still under the maximum 8.5T per axle limit.
Most HGV loads are limited by volume, not weight so the weight issue, isn't an issue in a vast majority of trips.

Just for reference, our recently ordered Ioniq 5 weights 2020kg, which isn't bad for a vehicle larger than the Freelander 2 it'll be replacing.

I think lots of hgvs run at max weight.
The hue and cry if they up above 44 tonnes would be very big
My point was how heavy would a 44 tonne wagon battery be?
Forget about cornflake transporters that’s why we had 44 tonnes .

Post #441537 12th May 2024 4:59 pm
Nodge68

A 44 Tonne artic is allowed a GVW of 44 T. There's an additional 1 Tonne allowed for electric HGVs now, and proposal for this to be increased by another 1 Tonne to maximum of 46T for 6 axle electric HGVs.
The extra weight capacity is to allow for bigger batteries, which obviously means better range.

The Fully charged show did a video on this very thing recently.
It is mentioned in the video that volume is often the constraint for many operators.

?si=1o_xLlH7oEM40PDx Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.

Post #441539 12th May 2024 6:41 pm
Mowog

Well they would say that.
For many years it’s 1 tonne pallets
As many as will fit.
I wonder why the ministry have all those weighbridges?
I think it could be to check the weight Rolling with laughter

And of course we must also think about bulk tippers and tankers all running at top weight.
If weight wasn’t the important factor we would still be on 32 tonne gross.

Trailer makers are trying to flog 8tonne unladen curtainsiders for more payload
Coupled to your 8 tonne unit means more weight can be carried.

They may carry cornflakes one way,but the backload could be pallets of heavy stuff weighing quite a bit more

Imagine the conversation….” Have you tipped the cornflakes Billy?
Got a back load for you, load it today 28 tonne of steel.”
“ sorry mate ,can only load 10 tonne, cos the Censored wagon weighs 36 tonne”

Post #441542 12th May 2024 7:44 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

When I was involved in receiving bulk deliveries if material was available trucks would always turn up very close to their maximum weight. I can’t see any transport manager worth their pay allowing a vehicle to consume fuel and not making the most of the limit be it weight or volume.

Post #441553 13th May 2024 7:21 am
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Every days a school day, I never knew tesco did back loads of steel. 🤣

Post #441557 13th May 2024 7:55 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

An empty truck is wasted fuel and wages if the driver is contracted and negative pay for an owner driver, though I don’t suppose there are many of those nowadays.

Post #441565 13th May 2024 9:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 44 of 49 <123 ... 434445 ... 474849>