« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Dashboard rattle.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
cumbria

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
Dashboard rattle.

Hi everyone. I have had my FL2 HSE auto since new in 08 and have had a few problems with rattles which is very disapointing on a car costing £33k. However having now done 41k it has developed a rattle/chirp from I think the dash area in front of the driver but I could be wrong. I first noticed it on a long journey down the M6 this week and it seems to occur at around 70mph+. It is quiet until then but once it starts it seem to remain even at lower speeds. It is driving me mad but before I visit my dealer I just wondered if anyone had had the same problem and if perhaps there was a known fault with the speedo or something else? I would rather have something definite to tell the dealer as I am sure otherwise it will be returned no fault found!

Thanks

Stewart

Post #68953 21st May 2010 6:43 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I've had 2 or 3 dash rattles along with others from roof linings and doors. They tend to come and go - likely temperature dependant, and sometimes they just disappear of their own accord. If you have a persistent one, make a note of the engine revs when it is worst - that way you will be able to replicate it on a test drive with the dealer's technician.

Post #68964 21st May 2010 9:11 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

My previous FL2 was an 08, the annoying rattle I thought was from dash was the interior mirror. The glass was vibrating in mirror body. New mirror under warranty was total claim in 30k over 2 years. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #68975 22nd May 2010 12:03 am
richh

England 

just to humour me, try flicking the bottom of the rear view mirror, i ve seen many developing a tizzing noise when on the road. they all do that!

Post #69046 23rd May 2010 3:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lar

Russia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Ask anybody as a passenger go for a drive in your car and let he will listen where from it rattles. A driver and a passenger can have listened selfsame sound from different places.
PS Is yuor glove box empty? 
Freelander II 2,2 TD SE Stornoway Grey

Sorry for my wry English. I began to study it recently.
I'll be thankful for your corrections of my mistakes

Post #69050 23rd May 2010 7:18 pm
Poobaa

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi, My Freelander is an 09 GS Auto and it has developed a rattle that appears to come from below the speaker grill in the centre of the dashboard. It is very intermittent and occurs only on rough roads so it is a bit difficult to reproduce and diagnose. Is this similar to yours? I am about to book it in at the main agent to try to get it sorted before the car is a year old.

Post #69093 24th May 2010 4:09 pm
cumbria

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

To all who replied thanks but it is not any of the rattles you have suggested. If you read my post clearly it occurs at above 70mph and is not rev related. It is not rough surface related either and is what can be best described as a soft chirp! That is why I still think it is speedo related but it has occurred to me that I first noted it when the weather was hot so it may well be a temperature related issue. I will persevere. I should point out that I have vast experience of hearing and finding rattles and that I was simply looking to see if anyone actually had the same problem. I would also point out that I have not had to put up with rattles from the last three or four cars I owned before the FL2 and whilst it was brilliant in the snow I may not have another if the build quality has not improved! We will see.

Post #69103 24th May 2010 5:39 pm
kenny

United Kingdom 2008 LR2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Quote:
I should point out that I have vast experience of hearing and finding rattles and that I was simply looking to see if anyone actually had the same problem. I would also point out that I have not had to put up with rattles from the last three or four cars I owned

Rolling Eyes

Post #69136 24th May 2010 10:32 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I think your vast experience in finding rattles has not worked this time Then Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #69139 24th May 2010 11:04 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I usually have sympathy for owners experiencing cabin squeaks and rattles..... usually.

Post #69207 25th May 2010 7:30 pm
impact

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Fuji White

Had a similar problem; intermittent rattle coming from the dash area. Finally managed to locate it. A 20cent coin, no less! I believe this to result from a design fault. Allow me to explain. On the right of your glove box there are coin slots. The coins are sitting freely in those slots. As you shut the glove box, perhaps with some force, the coins continue to travel in the straight line out of the coin holder in which they were sitted, until acted upon by an external force, which in this case happens to be the underside of the dash. As the coins strike the dash they come back down, randomly. If you are lucky they will land on your floor mat. If you are not so lucky, like me, one will travel a little to the right and land behind the side plastic trim of the centre console. If you are very unlucky it will get stuck ontop of the double sided tape that is holding the sound suppression material / cloth to the plastic trim on the side of the centre console adjacent to the glove box (vertical panel). And if you are extremely unlucky, like me, all this will take place adjacent to a cast iron structure that travels from the floor of the vehicle to just behind the aircon vent. The rattle will be intermittent, in that, as you turn left the coin leans right and begins to vibrate against the metal structure. The good news is that the plastic cover is being held in place by a single screw and some clips and takes 2 minutes to remove....

Post #95025 13th Mar 2011 5:34 am
sportsman

United Kingdom 

Talking of rattles,my car as been in for 3 days with an annoying rattle that happens when I am plodding along in 3rd gear about 1500 revs sounds like it's coming from the dash area or it' sounds like a rattling fan or something lose ,now land rover want it for a week told them they can as long a they don't put me in another volvo Big Cry ...but any other suggestions or any other ideas of what it might be would be gladly appreciated.. Thumbs Up

Post #95033 13th Mar 2011 10:38 am
comerbuck

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Rimini Red

Poobaa ... I seem to have the same rattle that you describe ... comes from below the center speaker grill on the dash and is noticeable on rough roads especially over gravel, almost like a resonating vibration sound. Had my dealer look under the speaker grill for the cause with no luck. Let me know if they find anything!

Post #95190 14th Mar 2011 5:03 pm
dunroof

There is nothing much under the speaker grille other than a speaker. It's easy to pull apart yourself.

Post #95215 14th Mar 2011 8:12 pm
moose87

cant say for definate, but i wouldnt be surprised if it was your a/c compressor. i know it sounds stupid but honestly had a couple now, was surprised myself when it cured the fault, lr advised me to replace compressor for a certain type of rattle(used to work in a main dealer) but without hearing it and being there cant really be much more help

Post #95231 14th Mar 2011 10:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>