« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Starting Without the Key Fob
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ad210358

England 
Starting Without the Key Fob

Shocked Strange thing happened today, no Mr Strut didn't offer someone two San Miguels, Evil or Very Mad swmbo took the Freely out to the shops parked in the car park, hand brake on pressed the stop button, engine stops and the Fob removed from the ignition, nothing strange yet.
Opened the door and it started making the bong, bong as thought the key is in the ignition and the display indicated that the key was in the ignition when it was in her hand. She sat back in the car and pressed the start button and it started as normal, keys still in her hand, Shocked pressed the stop button and the engine stopped but began the bong, bong again and the message appear stating key in Ignition.
The only way to to return the car to normal was to reinsert the fob in the ignition, all has been well since.
Strange but true, anyone else had this happen Question p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #71659 7th Jul 2010 7:52 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Sounds like the keyfob receptor jammed

Dealer visit I would say as if it becomes perminatly like that then some Chav might drive off in it, or it won't let you lock it due to a 'key' been in the ignition Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #71661 7th Jul 2010 8:10 pm
ad210358

England 

Some Chav Shocked no safe as houses we are in this law abiding land in which we live Surprised p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #71662 7th Jul 2010 8:29 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

As Nick says probably its receptor jammed but as simply having any key dont let the engine start as it need to be correct key with the code, Maybe the key was close enough for the ECU to access the code and then start the engine, or maybe this is the first FL2 with 'real' keyless starting... Smile Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #71663 7th Jul 2010 8:35 pm
Junior

England 

I once had my finger accidentally on the start button as I pushed the key to remove with my thumb, the key slid out as the engine started, I checked to see if it would drive and it would, pressed stop and it went back to normal-hasn't happened since.

Post #71664 7th Jul 2010 8:46 pm
ad210358

England 

At this moment in time I am not to concerned just putting it down to the usual LR quirks, like losing the Sat Nav (Sat Nav and quirks I can list a few their) when I pressed the Start button to quickly after putting the Fob in, or the volume which again pressing start to quickly not giving it time to Boot Up p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #71665 7th Jul 2010 9:03 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It'll be a San Miguel bottle top shorting the electrics Very Happy

Post #71678 7th Jul 2010 10:05 pm
ad210358

England 

If it's only one we know where it came from Whistle p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #71680 7th Jul 2010 10:09 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Tee hee Laughing
Anyway on a more serious note does this problem mean the ecu (or what ever you call it) won't shut down = Flat battery Shocked

Post #71681 7th Jul 2010 10:12 pm
Huang

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I once was in a rush so inserted the FOB very quickly and pressed the Start, only to realise the FOB had fallen out onto the floor due to my quick movement. Yet the engine started. I didn't want to risk anything so re-inserted the FOB. Weird...

Post #71689 8th Jul 2010 5:50 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Junior wrote:
I once had my finger accidentally on the start button as I pushed the key to remove with my thumb, the key slid out as the engine started, I checked to see if it would drive and it would, pressed stop and it went back to normal-hasn't happened since.

I used to do this in my 1 series in the winter. Get in the car, key in press the start button to start the sequence and remove the key. Get out and lock the car. Finish breaky, back in the car and drive off. I think that if you drove off with the key out the engine immobiliser came on. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #71700 8th Jul 2010 9:20 am
ad210358

England 

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Tee hee Laughing
Anyway on a more serious note does this problem mean the ecu (or what ever you call it) won't shut down = Flat battery Shocked

But if it still thinks the Fob is in the ignition it won't let you lock the car, I have tried to warm it up in the winter with one fob and lock it with the other but it won't respond when you try to lock it. I cannot lock it with the other Fob whilst the other Fob is in the receptor. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #71732 8th Jul 2010 6:21 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

If you put your finger in the receptor it makes a noise as if you put the key in, holding the fob close by will not start the car either Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #71736 8th Jul 2010 7:23 pm
ad210358

England 

But it displayed the message Key in Ignition and the car did start. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #71740 8th Jul 2010 8:19 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
If you put your #### in the receptor it makes a noise as if you put the key in, holding the fob close by will not start the car either Laughing

I guess not Shocked 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #71742 8th Jul 2010 8:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>