« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > DS Prices £16K
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Suckfish

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
DS Prices £16K

Just been looking at the DS - prices are coming down quick - the cheapest I have seen is £15,995 in autotrader this week.
Think I will give it another year and they will be within my price band -

Post #370782 25th Apr 2019 8:39 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I wonder how much of this price drop is down to the oil dilution/balance shafts issue on the Ingenium 2.0 diesel when they come out of warranty? With the extra oil changes and worn balance shaft issues I have decided not to buy an Ingenium Euro 6 diesel. Might go for a 2.2 earlier model with the current PSA engine or even petrol eventually. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #370783 25th Apr 2019 9:27 am
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

The depreciation curve on them after 3 years indicate that they are the worst performing variant in Land Rovers history. 50% depreciation after the first 2 years,rising to 62% after year 3 tells you all that you need to know about the build quality and projected longevity of this particular vehicle.
There was a time not so long ago when Land Rover actively encouraged long-term ownership.....not any more, it would appear.

Imagine what the residuals on existing L550 will look like when it becomes common knowledge that a new version is out Q4 this year! Frightening prospect for owners that paid cash, not so bad for those on PCP.

Post #370784 25th Apr 2019 9:35 am
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Are the earlier Disco Sports (with the 2.2 freelander engine) Euro 5 or Euro 6 ? I'm assuming they are Euro 5 Question 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #370786 25th Apr 2019 9:49 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

good news (if your in the market for a DS) for those of us that wont/cant buy new or less than 3 year old models though. Just have to choose model/engine/service history carefully Very Happy

at this rate ill soon be able to afford a FFRR LWB with all the toys Rolling with laughter

long term ownership is not in the interest of any manufacturer these days, they make their money on a 3-5 year PCP type cycle.

Post #370787 25th Apr 2019 9:51 am
RogB

Milothedog wrote:
Are the earlier Disco Sports (with the 2.2 freelander engine) Euro 5 or Euro 6 ? I'm assuming they are Euro 5 Question

correct, they are Euro V.
the addition of ad-blue constitutes Euro VI with the 2.0 Ingenious diesel engines

Post #370788 25th Apr 2019 9:52 am
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Thanks for the info Thumbs Up

Expect a rush of Chelsea tractors to cone on the market soon dropping the prices even further as the ULEZ expansion gets closer Rolling with laughter 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #370795 25th Apr 2019 10:37 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

I wonder how much of this is down to certain people on another site repeatedly trashing the car. At the moment I'm thinking of replacing my 2016 DS when the new model comes out at the end of the year. However if the depreciation is really bad I have no problem hanging on to it for a few more years (with LR extended warranty and LR Assist, just in case). It's the nicest car I've owned, and seems to be driving better than ever now it's hit its first MoT.
In which case I would finally take out the third row of seats and create some space to put the spare wheel!

The real problem buying second hand is that you don't know how it's been serviced or what work it's had done, but I suppose that goes for any car. I think you're safe enough buying from a LR dealer with a decent length of warranty. Much of the moaning about the car has come from people who really should never have bought a dieselin the first place. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #370837 25th Apr 2019 5:20 pm
SouthamFL2

Yes, I've heard that the dedicated forum for L550 is not the most friendly of places. It only appears to be welcoming to those with a negative opinion, from what I have seen...

There's nothing ugly about the DS, it's just that I personally feel like I'm in an Astra on stilts when I'm in my brothers. Granted, it's comfortable and quiet, but given the grief with the electronics that he's had from day 1, compared with my 7 year old Freelander (none), plus the lower ride height, it's just not something that I would or could possibly entertain. I guess that's the philistine in me....after all, I am a Yorkshireman, and you know what they say about Yorkshiremen......we're like Scots, but with all the generosity wrung out of them! Laughing

Post #370839 25th Apr 2019 5:39 pm
dorsetfreelander

Having seen my neighbour with a new DS less than 5k miles bought last autumn having to have the engine out and balance shafts replaced has not filled me with confidence for the longevity of the Ingenium engine. It's OK to have extended warranty but who pays for the extra oil changes? and can you be sure that the extra oil changes have been done promptly (or at all) when you buy used? For me Euro 6 is the end of the road for diesel. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #370858 25th Apr 2019 11:49 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

If you look at the mileages need to get a payback from modern diesel cars, then petrol is the answer for more and more people.
the emmisions controls are so complex now, and the slightest fault causes the whole lot to stop working.
My DS does a lot of short 2 mile runs to school but gets a motor way trip to Leeds once a week (30miles) this seems to keep things running properly

one reason to move to diesel years back was frustration with distributors,coil and plug leads, those problem seem minor now compared to the though of a blocked dpf/egr/adblu sytem

Interestingly the Yorkshire post states more than a quarter of charge point in York dont even work- more work need before electric becomes mainstream.
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/polit...-1-9725516 At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #370861 26th Apr 2019 8:00 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

During my working life I learned to be very careful around anything that stored electricity as it was very dangerous to human beings.
So its not the inconvenience of charging electric cars that worries me, but all that stored electrical energy as the cars get older and less well maintained.
Higher voltages and lower internal resistances will be sought to make battery / electrical machines more efficient, and so they will become more and more dangerous. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #370864 26th Apr 2019 8:25 am
SouthamFL2

Valid point Ian. If anyone wants that corroborated, then have a look at this Tesla Model S spontaneously combusting, then tell me that electric is the future....

https://mashable.com/video/models-tesla-fi...urope=true

Post #370868 26th Apr 2019 9:47 am
dorsetfreelander

The problem is that any vehicle needs a substantial onboard energy storage system to be able to travel anywhere. We are used to carrying 70 litres of petrol or LPG or the alternatives like hydrogen which are equally dodgy. At least diesel doesn't burn so easily but we all know where that's going. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #370870 26th Apr 2019 9:57 am
RogB

didn't Richard Hammond on TG crash an electric car on a hill climb and they couldn't put the fire out because the batteries were burning at such an intensity ?>

Post #370875 26th Apr 2019 10:06 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>