0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes: 31

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Past master

United Kingdom 

I wouldn't go back to the FL2 - the DS is just so much better to drive. But they are expensive when they go wrong. Personally I would buy the DS, making sure I had a failsafe warranty on it. I don't think I would buy anywhere except from a LR dealer though. You don't say how old the DS is, but when the 3-year warranty runs out the Extended warranty costs the same as your quote for the FL2. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #365414 3rd Feb 2019 3:41 pm
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

I think the key factor is that you can do NOTHING (properly) not even an oil service reset on the DS without access to SDD. It's been engineered so that it HAS to go back through the retailer, unlike the Freelander. Too complicated by far, and unless you have access to SDD, you have no chance of really doing much on it yourself.

My local JLR Approved independent won't touch the Ingenium engine other than to offer oil and filter changes, and then only up to MY17, as he refuses to pay the exorbitant monthly outlay for Pathfinder, which is what >18MY require, not SDD. Be interesting to know just how much revenue JLR make through software licensing alone...

Post #365415 3rd Feb 2019 3:44 pm
Largered

........... Interesting as Pathfinder was the LR 'code name' for the Freelander 1 (before CB40 was used)

Post #365417 3rd Feb 2019 3:47 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

archie98 wrote:

Who's to say a rice burner is any more reliable, there's lots of issues with any make of car.

Me for one , over the years as private cars I’ve had Land Rovers , Toyota Hi lux , Suzuki , Vauxhall , Mitsubishi shogun , As company cars Audi , BMW , Rover , Vauxhall , Alfa , and plenty more I can’t recall . My own personal experience would put all the Japanese cars right at the top , and my own personal experience would put LR way down , with only 1990s Alfa being more unreliable . I think the later FL2 13/14 m.y. probably has the quality it should have had at launch , gained after 5 years of fixing FoMoCos value engineered starter proposition .

My last Japanese purchase , a Subaru , is coming up to 3 years beating the whole lot in reliability . Just look at any customer satisfaction survey and the big Japanese names are always in the top . Renault didn’t just buy into Nissan for fun, and their ratings have risen since they did .

If you want to get into the bush take a LandRover if you want to come back take a LandCruiser ... 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Last edited by MartynB on 3rd Feb 2019 4:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #365425 3rd Feb 2019 4:48 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Just a month ago I was all set for a new DS then common sense kicked in. Constant filling with Pig Censored . FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #365427 3rd Feb 2019 4:58 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

The very fact that you are asking us means that you haven't found anything that tugs at your heart strings.

Keep your FL2 until another entices you away. Motoring should be a love affair. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #365431 3rd Feb 2019 5:09 pm
Largered

. Motoring should be a love affair.

That's why I lay on top of mine Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #365433 3rd Feb 2019 5:21 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Just been through the exact same decision process, do I change the Freelander or hold onto it?

I’ve driven several Discovery Sports and still prefer the Freelander! Of course the DS is more modern and arguably the better vehicle (apart from the oil dilution issues), but I just don’t like it as much. I’ve kept the FL for 7 years and 45,000 miles because I still like everything about it. And there are things about the DS that I don’t like.

Everyone will make their own mind up based on different experiences and requirements, but I’m taking my own advice in saying don’t change for the sake of changing! Only change when something comes along that really appeals to you, because then there is no wavering, the decision will be automatic.

Since nothing has yet come along that would make me let the FL go I’ve had the cam belt changed, a full service, brake hoses, pads and discs all round (even though strictly not needed anytime soon) and coughed up for the peace of mind that comes with the full extended warranty and roadside assistance.

Now I can happily keep it until something comes along that really appeals, even if that’s another 2 or 3 years?

Post #365434 3rd Feb 2019 5:22 pm
Mowog

MartynB wrote:
archie98 wrote:

Who's to say a rice burner is any more reliable, there's lots of issues with any make of car.

Me for one , over the years as private cars I’ve had Land Rovers , Toyota Hi lux , Suzuki , Vauxhall , Mitsubishi shogun , As company cars Audi , BMW , Rover , Vauxhall , Alfa , and plenty more I can’t recall . My own personal experience would put all the Japanese cars right at the top , and my own personal experience would put LR way down , with only 1990s Alfa being more unreliable . I think the later FL2 13/14 m.y. probably has the quality it should have had at launch , gained after 5 years of fixing FoMoCos value engineered starter proposition .

My last Japanese purchase , a Subaru , is coming up to 3 years beating the whole lot in reliability . Just look at any customer satisfaction survey and the big Japanese names are always in the top . Renault didn’t just buy into Nissan for fun, and their ratings have risen since they did .

If you want to get into the bush take a LandRover if you want to come back take a LandCruiser ...

Aha......THATS why I never saw a Taliban Rocket launcher mounted in a Landrover Rolling with laughter

Post #365435 3rd Feb 2019 5:30 pm
j77

Scotland 

I believe I was the first on the forum to take a DS, a 15MY HSE manual SD4, I looked forward to it but a couple of weeks into ownership and I hated it. I vowed then that I wouldn’t touch another. But I did go from D4 to DS a bit of a tough act to follow.

Thanks to LRs excellent software I’ve had a couple of DS loan cars and my views ain’t changed. One was a top spec dynamic model, that was almost the same price as my Velar and it just felt nasty, the interior looked like it was made from the plastics out a box of milk tray chocolates. Didn’t have the adaptive dampers either so running on its 20” low profile tyres made the ride hard. Man it was a long week.

Perhaps the 2019 model that’s due will improve things.

The day I picked it up on the new 15 reg

6 months later on the 65 reg 16MY D4 SE Laughing a far superior machine

21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #365439 3rd Feb 2019 5:55 pm
IanMetro

I could be tempted by a RRS but could not justify (or afford) running costs.

I agree I have found, on various loan cars) that the DS is not so nice to be in than a FL2, and my wife agrees. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #365446 3rd Feb 2019 7:15 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Well thanks guys, you have given me a lot to think about and I suppose that it comes down to the fact that I have a late model "pick of the crop" MY14 FL2 SD4 auto and unless I buy new then I will be getting an early DS with all the teething problems that it will be bringing. Perhaps I should spend some time on the DS site. And also take a look at a Volvo X40.

There is of course another overriding issue which is that it might not be sensible to buy a diesel next time round in which case that in itself rules out Land Rover. I have had LandRovers for 20 years so this will be hard. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #365447 3rd Feb 2019 7:17 pm
Tigertim

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I keep wondering whether to change ,after always fancying one I’ve had my 2008 fl now for a few years and although is giving me a headache looking for this vibration problem, I just can’t part with it. Probably one of the oldest cars I’ve had at 11 years old now but I’m struggling to see anything else that gives me the buzz that my fl does. Like most of you say it’s the great driving position and the solid sure footed feel and the nice chunky look. I think that most owners are on the mature side and still like the fact that fl is one of the last landrovers to have chunky switches and knobs and dials etc , the younger generation like the discovery more as it’s modern trendy instruments and glass screens ,massive panaramic roof etc are what they want,maybe in 15 years time they will be in my price range but by then electric crap will have taken over . There is no doubt that when you park your fl in a LR dealer car park it does look dated but after just spending most of the afternoon cleaning mine it looked great on its own on my drive and it reaffirmed my decision to keep it . Most parts are easy to get hold of and reasonably priced to be able to keep them going for plenty of years yet .

Post #365449 3rd Feb 2019 7:33 pm
theglassman

It must boil-down to the old ‘horses-for-courses’ argument.
I’ve had several ‘exotics’ - including lovely RR Vogues over the years - but only courtesy of contributions from my businesses and (occasionally) the Tax Man.
I am now paying my own way on a (comfortable-but-fixed) income and only doing 5-7k miles pa - albeit that many of these miles involve towing, off-roading etc. The Freelander is a very capable, comfortable and - importantly, affordable, 4X4 and after 9 years with a TD4 Auto and absolutely no issues other than a failed injector, back in 2016 why would I go for a new-fangled model when there were lovely, sorted, 2014 end of production SD4’s available at sensible dosh?
Ok, I would fancy yet another RR Vogue - but I’d be afraid to really use it and wouldn’t want the massive depreciation either.
Now, in early 2019, I’d probably be tempted to look for a very late D4 HSE on low mileage, but even saying that, there’s still some good, late, low-mileage FL2 SD4’s about.
Problem is, both late SD4’s and D4’s still seem to be holding their values very well. Might this possibly be a reflection on their bland, jelly-mould successor models???
Several pals have the new DS and D5 models and have had a fair few niggles - and worse.
I’ve read on this very forum the opinion that FL2 might be the last ‘proper’ LandRover. Be that as it may, it’s a great little car and I’d really be hard-pressed to find a better option - certainly not one with the beloved green oval badge.
Just saying’.... Smile

Click image to enlarge
 I've decided to stop being a good example and will now just be a terrible warning.....
2008 TD4HSE - gone but much loved.
2014MY SD4 Metropolis - very much loved.

Post #365457 3rd Feb 2019 8:47 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

I looked at DS late last year the HSE black edition. Got a good price for mine as a trade-in but got to admit the DS didn't rock my boat considering the price it is. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #365463 3rd Feb 2019 9:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>