Home > General > JLR Post-Brexit Shut Down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

IanMetro wrote:
And what did you do for your country?

What does my service record and history have to do with a crab exactly? What are you driving at? Stay on point and continue to discuss the remain argument without going so far off-beam. We are/were discussing Brexit. So discuss!

Last edited by SouthamFL2 on 4th Feb 2019 2:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #365494 4th Feb 2019 1:49 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Slow down lads, it me that upsets the readers. Also remember you can do a lot for society without being in the services. Think of those lads that were stuck in the that cave.

Right its supposed to be about JLR being shutdown, I for one once worked in a factory making heavy duty axles for well known companies like Foden and when you are young and someone takes away your mortgage money with no real excuse as it was just based on a political battle between the Tories and UKIP that created this it its frankly disgusting. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #365497 4th Feb 2019 2:16 pm
SouthamFL2

Agreed. They are all snakes. However, what's done is done. It's about making the best of a siht situation - those that do will thrive, those that wring their hands and parrot The Guardian at every opportunity will sink without trace.

Land Rover will be sold off, probably to the Chinese, in the not too distant. Jaguar is doing very well in the current climate,with sales well up on last year. The manipulation of data to shareholders is such that they (TATA) won't continue to swallow the corporate bull that Speth and Co. spout, by blaming everything on Brexit before it's actually happened.

I note that the "headwinds" that are now trotted out by ineffective Management with alarming regularity haven't affected BMW or Honda. They have made no reference to them whatsoever, despite Cowley plant initially reducing operations to take stock of the initial situation.

ps: Warehouse space up this way has been springing up left right and centre, and in the main, it is car manufacturers that have leased the units. Don't think for a second that they are not stockpiling and have a Plan B - of course they do! Again, all the doom and scare-mongering is poor management hiding behind a poor (European) excuse. The sooner we are gone from the corrupt cartel, the better. Those that idolise Juncker and his ilk are welcome to leave the UK at any time and go and live in a country where they share those views and still think that he is the Messiah.

Post #365498 4th Feb 2019 2:25 pm
Navigator

Scotland 

Assembling a Land Rover these days is very reliant on this "just-in-time" sourcing of the components.

It seems reasonable to agree that the transition in import arrangements from the EU as a result of leaving their trade area will create a delay.

Component suppliers would need considerable notice to change their production schedules, and probably expect extra money.

So, to me at least, shutting off production for a week would allow for some fattening of the supply chain and give stocks of components sufficient for production, when it resumes, to continue without interuption.

And just as an anecdote, while urgently rebuilding a Series II engine, it was found that there were no supplies of rear crankshaft oil seals. They were imported to Solihul from the West - Midlands that is, not Indies. This was in 1969! So nothing's changed much. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #365502 4th Feb 2019 3:24 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

“ Stockpiles “ are all well and good , except that they consume working capital . Companies fail because of the cost of capital . I could go on for ever about the “ we should prepare better “ . But I’ve retired from global marketing and distribution to be an old buffer . The only comment I’ll make is all of the companies are preparing , preparing to protect their Operating Profits by moving their production facilities or preparing to pass the increased costs on to Joe Muggins .

With respect to the latest Nissan news , 61% of that area voted to leave , they have for a what they voted for, and from everything I read in the papers that’s worth any cost , so they should be happy and the Nissan board should be happy . Isn’t that a Win-Win ? 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #365506 4th Feb 2019 4:09 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

There seems to be an awful lot of motor vehicles 'stockpiled'.

I drive past the vast car parks at Avonmouth Docks where most makes are loaded on and off ships regularly.
The car parks are jammed full of bright shiny cars either awaiting be loaded or more importantly sent to a dealer in this country. I have watched, since the summer, every last bit of space become filled. There are thousands.

Also I have noticed that it is all but impossible to find a parking space in my local LR Main Dealer, It is full of unsold new and what looks like pre-registered LR cars.

I am awaiting, in vain, for the 'give away' sale.

PS Avonmouth Dock Car Park (Storage Area) sits on a very damp, low lying, misty, patch of land between the Rivers Avon and Severn. On the face of it, the last place I would want my new car stored before I bought it. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #365507 4th Feb 2019 4:24 pm
Mark01

United Kingdom 
JLR Shutdown

New EU regulations mean large diesel 4x4s cannot be built and sold in Europe. In 2011 JLR started to move production of diesels to Czechia, making room for the new hybrid electric honeypot. Nissan and Honda both said on day one its nothing to do with Brexit, the next day according to all media, to my amazement it was because of Brexit uncertainty, they say what suits their agenda. That is to keep us in. There is a saying in the sales industry "a confused and scared mind says no"

Post #369945 10th Apr 2019 10:13 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Beware of “people” making their first post on a contentious political issue, without introduction or, in fact, any background information at all! Especially when they start with a howler of a sentence like the first one Laughing

Post #369965 10th Apr 2019 4:09 pm
j77

Scotland 

Large diesel SUVs can’t be built or sold in Europe?????

💩💩💩 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #369976 10th Apr 2019 5:53 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Shouldn’t the Russians stick to trying to manipulate Western public opinion, with Censored such as this, on faceache and whitter? Rolling Eyes

Post #369978 10th Apr 2019 6:27 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Mark
Please give us a bit more info about your motor in case you need help.

Your profile so far
http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-mark01.html

From Warwickshire, I think. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #369980 10th Apr 2019 7:33 pm
steven211

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

The whole industry is struggling, I work for BMW and they have lost allot of money in the last financial year and are having to make billions in savings, as a dealer our sales have been slow too. The problem JLR have is they have invested in a diesel engine plant, being arrogant not to think that PHEV/fully electric vehicles would become a big thing and its truly bit them on their arse. Also JLR products lack the polish in certain areas which lets them down, compare BMW iDrive to JLRs infotainment system and the JLR system feels lacking in polish. When it comes to reliability BMW are not much better than JLR, the quality is very poor these days. I saw less faults per vehicle on Chinese MGs when I did a stint there for 2 years than I do on BMWs.

I really hope JLR pull through, I obviously love their products and also my step dad works at Solihull...29 years service so I don't want to see him loose his job. But it will be hard for them unless they innovate in technology. Also the government and parliament need to get their act together and sort out this brexit deal as it creates too much uncertainty.

Post #369983 10th Apr 2019 8:22 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Do bear in mind that the products coming out of Wolverhampton were all designed to be built in either petrol, or diesel, variants. They are also designed to be capable of integration into hybrid system, so I’m not so sure why it was a bad idea. Especially when they needed to replace their Ford supply contract with something else either way.

Post #369984 10th Apr 2019 8:33 pm
SouthamFL2

Yeah - bang on the money with that Tigger.

The new EV Battery Farm currently being built along the A45 north of Ryton towards Whitley is receiving heavy investment from JLR in particular - whilst it might be the way to go in the future, Land Rovers NEED a combustion engine in one form or another, so Wolverhampton EMC is very much needed and will be for years to come.

Unlike Volvo, they have not announced the phasing out by xx of a traditional ICE, all they have said is that all their vehicles will have an electrification option by 2022.

Point taken steven211 regarding infotainment - it is truly dire even now on 19MY vehicles, and that is a direct result of outsourcing development to Bosch (a relationship that has also gone tits-up), instead of designing and developing InControl in-house. They are years behind the pace there, even to the likes of Hyundai, which for a Prestige manufacturer is frankly embarrassing.

Post #369987 10th Apr 2019 9:08 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Although, even there, there is a positive Thumbs Up

The infotainment system in my 2017 Range Rover has a nice screen, but the software was very buggy. Two FOC software updates later (currently on 19D) and it now does everything I need pretty well. It’s worth bearing in mind that they are a much smaller company than many of their competitors and development costs have to be spread over many less vehicles. Having said that, if they are behind on geeky electronics, they are way ahead on all aluminium body construction, so it’s swings and roundabouts!

Post #369988 10th Apr 2019 9:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>