Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Pension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

I took my pension early (reduced) nearly 7 years ago aged 53. For me the choice was my sanity or the job.

My wife had already retired due to serious health issues, we have 4 pensions between us, both having a main pension and both having a smaller one from a previous job. Were not loaded and have to be realistic about what we spend but get by just fine.

One of the things already suggested is do a spread sheet. My wife did this (She was a Bank manager) when you see what comes in and goes out on paper it can make you see things differently. for example: our Sky TV was costing over £90 a month for something we did't really use so that went. It is a big leap of faith when you make such a decision but you change and adapt as I found out and know of at least two other people who have done the same thing.

Carpe Diem as they say Thumbs Up 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #365013 30th Jan 2019 10:09 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

So any one following this thread here is a question for you this Winters morning:

You have a single gross income say between 20 to 30K.

With little mechanical knowledge do you keep a FL2 that is no longer warranted or a posie sporty thing still under factory warranty (winter tyres an option).

I am tempted to make it a no choice to have both but will leave it in but you have to give reasons for that choice. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #365017 30th Jan 2019 10:40 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi Bob , in question 1 I can’t help you .except to say s that’s not too bad 20k gross is of the top of my head £16, 400 nett, £30k gross is £24,400 nett .

In question 2 , my Wife’s car is an 09 GS Auto cloth seats no electric anything , or fancy dash . We bought it two years old for 16k cash after the pikeys took the County 90 . So this year will be our eight year of ownership . Fundamentally the car isn’t worth a whole lot now , but even if I view it as zero , that’s only £2000 a year in depreciation . We have had some big bills in the 30,000 mikes we’ve owned it , probably about £3500 above and beyond servicing and about £700 in tyres . Even calculating that into the lifetime cost it gives around £2500 per annum before servicing . I’ve not added the £1300 I paid when she remodeled the rear bumper and drivers door negotiating a field gate , as that is not relevant to running the car . It still drives well , especially with the new rear shocks which were changed with all the associated buffers brackets etc . As it’s Euro 4 , there is a benefit as there is no silly DPF , so she can pop down to Morrison’s or Tesco and not worry about regen . The Fl2 is a bit of an oddity in that performance and comfort wise you don’t get much better with its replacement . If I added all the servicing , road tax etc in let’s say an all up running cost of ownership say £3500 a year . So those are the sort of costs you may face.

On the other side of the coin , I haven’t employed any capital on a replacement, that’s ( hopefully ) earning interest in the long term .

The issue with running an older vehicle of course , is to forget that you may have to replace it and spend the provision you should be making . But even not ever having met you , you don’t strike me as the type of bloke to fall into that trap .

I’m going to spend a bit more on the Freelander , get the big service and timing belt done , and I’m going to replace the brake hoses with a braided Goodridge kit .

I’m in the lucky position where I could go out and buy any car I fancied , but the Censored taking prices and depreciation of today’s cars , and the fact that most are too precious to use how I want to use them , are the main factors that stop me buying a Gin Palace TerraRover HSX . When we do let the old girl go , The scooby will take its place, I’m looking at perhaps 3 years time .

So in summary I reckon the Fl2 can easily be 12 year proposition. I doubt the sporty job will be 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #365031 30th Jan 2019 1:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234