and Divorce Laughing FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #364867 28th Jan 2019 5:09 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Yorky Bob wrote:
still plenty time to get another wife

and Divorce Laughing

Cheaper to use Thailand colour of the day to drive your stable full of Freelanders!

Sunday: Firenze Red
Monday: Fuji White
Tuesday: (day off)
Wednesday: Aintree Green
Wednesday night: Orkney Grey
Thursday: Zanzibar
Friday: Mauritius Blue
Saturday: Santorini Black Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #364887 28th Jan 2019 9:01 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Money does seem to go further once you retire, for example you have time to be first in the queue for out of date bargains, and of course you don't pay Nat Ins, or travel to work.

Mind you by the time you get through the jobs you put off until you retire, and of course the wife's own list of priority jobs, you will be to busy to worry about money. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #364891 28th Jan 2019 9:15 pm
Largered

Yorky Bob wrote:
still plenty time to get another wife

and Divorce Laughing

When I am asked "are you married" ?
I reply "No"
To which they reply "divorced then" ?
I say "I have a late wife" ?
Oh I'm sorry to hear that. What did she die of" ?
"I told you ......... being late" !!!

Post #364895 28th Jan 2019 9:47 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

For what it's worth -
I "retired" from teaching at 54 - loved the job but the stress was killing me. Had enough savings to live on for a year and (oh joy) a wife with a good job who promised to sub me if necessary. Took my pension at 55 with a 25% reduction for taking it early, but I reckon it's worth it for a longer life.
I did the sums and decided I could live on the pension if I had to, invested the lump sum and took on some part time work for extras. I worked out how much money I had per week after all the regular expenses (£200), I take that out and pay cash for everything.
So far so good, but two problems - replacing the car from time to time (I was prepared to trade down if need be) and living in a Victorian house which was starting to need a fair bit of maintenance. Luckily for me that house was in London, so when my wife retired we sold up and I now have a nice nest-egg and a modern low-maintenance house in East Anglia.
My pension is modest but I know I can live on it if need be, and there's cash in the bank for a new Land Rover from time to time and the odd holiday. Don't know how much my wife gets - it's hers so once she's paid her half of the bills it's hers to spend as she likes! Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #364897 28th Jan 2019 10:22 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Quote Don't know how much my wife gets - it's hers so once she's paid her half of the bills it's hers to spend as she likes!

A short while ago before my recent diagnosis we went to write new wills. It can be quite an eye opener to find out what your spouse has tucked away. Shocked Thankfully money is not and has never been a issue between us. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #364923 29th Jan 2019 10:47 am
Largered

All parties who rely on their other halves or have their own income should build up a
"get-away" fund, should it be necessary.

Thumbs Up

Post #364934 29th Jan 2019 11:51 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I knew a guy who was the administrator of a big company pension scheme and he said that it was well known in the industry that those who took early retirement lived longer. He said that he had all of the actuarial data for a company of over 20,000 people. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #364939 29th Jan 2019 12:17 pm
dorsetfreelander

Fact of the day. Apparently if you marry it automatically nullifies any previous Will you may have made. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #364940 29th Jan 2019 12:18 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I knew a guy who was the administrator of a big company pension scheme and he said that it was well known in the industry that those who took early retirement lived longer. He said that he had all of the actuarial data for a company of over 20,000 people.

I agree 100% . I jumped at sixty as due to my financial responsibilities and duties, I knew that another round of “heads on the wall was coming” Being a dutiful and faithful servant of the company , I saved my VP the hassle by volunteering to step into the cross hairs . I’ve only been back to the office twice since I left . colleagues in my age group are still sitting there worrying about work things , looking grey , worrying about pensions , worrying about losing a funded car , just generally worrying .

I’m only half joking when I walk in and shout “ Hello Losers “ . They are losing , losing the golden years between 60 and 70 plonk when they are still fit enough to do most things and have a guaranteed income to do it .

In the 5 years before retirement I’d already decided what income I needed Extrapolated my pensions projections so I had a “ bail out ready reckoner” for the next 5 years .

I started lifestyling the DC and AVC elements from equities to less risky funds and got bi annual updates on my closed DB scheme. I engineered my take home salary to my forecast retirement level by putting the difference into more AVCs every month . That made the transition from work to play pretty seamless . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #364950 29th Jan 2019 1:02 pm
Largered

[quote]I’m only half joking when I walk in and shout “ Hello Losers “

Which 'half' ......... Hello ......... or ........Lossers Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I never went back !!!! Why would I want to go back ??? They owe me nothing and I owe them nothing !!!

Post #364958 29th Jan 2019 3:16 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Sometimes it’s just nice to keep in touch , I worked all over the world for that company . I don’t regret leaving but I still keep in touch with a few people , in fact I took my boy to Barcelona before Xmas to meet up with the Spanish Ops team I used to advise

Why wouldn’t I want to keep in touch , the people were great . One of my ex colleagues is leaving to go to a competitor and I’ll be going to her “ leaving do “‘in February

But each to their own . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #364961 29th Jan 2019 3:55 pm
dorsetfreelander

I went at 55 and decided not to take voluntary redundancy as I reckon that you have a stronger bargaining position if you are forced out. I was earmarked for redundancy and eventually it happened. However I had a big trick up my sleeve in that a couple of years earlier, whilst moving departments, a secretary inadvertently sent me my complete personnel file going back 30 years with the only copy of my original contract of employment and subsequent changes to my T&Cs, bonus rates etc. During the negotiation to leave they didn't let on but it was clear that they were having to take my word for everything that I was asking for as they didn't have any documentation that they could have used in a tribunal. Came out with a pension starting the next day and an extra cash deal worth well into 6 figures and handed in my FL1 1.8 company car and bought an FL1 TD4 demonstrator with cash the next day. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #364965 29th Jan 2019 4:33 pm
Largered

MartynB wrote:
Sometimes it’s just nice to keep in touch , I worked all over the world for that company . I don’t regret leaving but I still keep in touch with a few people , in fact I took my boy to Barcelona before Xmas to meet up with the Spanish Ops team I used to advise

(photo removed by Largered)

Why wouldn’t I want to keep in touch , the people were great . One of my ex colleagues is leaving to go to a competitor and I’ll be going to her “ leaving do “‘in February

But each to their own .

......some people just can't let go.
I am one of those people who CAN Thumbs Up

Post #364989 29th Jan 2019 7:06 pm
Beansenior

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Fact of the day. Apparently if you marry it automatically nullifies any previous Will you may have made.

Don’t think that applies in Scotland, only England (and Wales??)

Post #364991 29th Jan 2019 7:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>