« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > And one for the shooting/gun enthusiasts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
And one for the shooting/gun enthusiasts

I know this isn’t worth anything due to its condition primarily but I thought it was worth posting about purely as a matter of interest. I don’t know it’s age or the full story behind it but it’s a Smith & Wesson 38.

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #361712 9th Dec 2018 11:25 am
Largered

It may have some worth ........
....... if it belonged to The Milky Bar Kid !!!!
.................. or The Lone Ranger.....

Post #361716 9th Dec 2018 11:43 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Guessing it's still legal due to it's age but I would check it out.
Have you taken it to a firearms dealer, don't know the nearest one to Gallifrey. Laughing they maybe able to help.
I worked in a gun shop when I left school. great job, at 17 I was covered by his license to carry and use class one firearms, try that now. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #361729 9th Dec 2018 2:15 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

My initial thoughts are that it is a military or police version on Smiths “ K “ frame . Reason I say this is that it has a fixed half moon type front sight which probably also dates it way back, 30- 50’s . Also if you look at the hammer , it is missing the spur , that’s the bit you would use if you wanted to fire the gun single action . ( typically a modern revolver is double action , that is you can fire the gun by just pulling the trigger , or you can pull the hammer back until it locks and then fire the gun with a much reduced trigger pull , ) . So is the spur just missing or modified that way as police and military generally taught double action shooting . It could be ex British army with 38/200 cartridge or ex someone else’s as .38 special

Obviously it’s no danger to anyone as a ) it’s a rusted lump , b) the mainspring isn’t there it would originally have been a leaf spring that slipped into the groove on the base of the handle and the small screw would be bearing on it .

If it was say an ex military one , and it was working , and you could sell it , unfortunately it wouldn’t be worth a whole lot more than its weight in scrap

Biggest single isssue you have is that the calibre is still available , so the gun or it’s components are not classed as antique . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #361730 9th Dec 2018 2:29 pm
GeorgeB

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

Looks like a WW2 S&W Victory model.

Suggest you hand it in to a bona-fide firearms dealer ASAP.

Post #361734 9th Dec 2018 3:21 pm
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

I would imagine that you need a firearms licence to hold that even in the delapidated state it’s in. It could still be adapted to fire again though extremely dangerous to do so. Not suggesting you would of course. Best course of action is surrender it to local plod or firearms dealer.

Post #361735 9th Dec 2018 4:07 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

This falls outside of the scope of the possession of a firearms offence. It is incapable of being used and could not be adapted as it is beyond repair. The cartridge actually falls out as it is so worn down and there are other issues with it of course. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #361736 9th Dec 2018 4:11 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

When you say the cartridge falls out of it ... please tell us it’s not a live round Rolling with laughter

ps , the cartridge ( that’s the primed brass case with the bullet head intact is meant to fall out of the cylinder before it’s been fired . After it’s been fired and the empty brass has expanded a bit of a push on the extractor rod shoves the 6 empty brass cases out .

The bullet leaves the cartridge case, it’s nose bridges the gap between the cylinder face and enters the tapered barrel throat which centralises it as it starts it journey though the barrel .

By the way what ID marks are stamped on the rim of the cartridge case ? 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #361747 9th Dec 2018 8:49 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Apologies, cylinder I meant not cartridge Rolling Eyes There’s no ammunition of any description for it. I’d need a magnifying glass to properly make out some of the numbers etched into the gun. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #361748 9th Dec 2018 9:08 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The piece is a Section 1 (FA 1968) "Firearm". 20th century service revolvers such as this are never deemed to be "antique" by cops, courts or CPS for firearms act enforcement purposes. It was made to be capable of discharging a bullet from the barrel and it is irrelevant that due to some technical issue it cannot actually go bang at the moment. There is no provision in law which can change the nature of a Section 1 firearm into something other than a Section 1, bar certification as deactivated under the EU (and UK law adopted) deactivation regulations. I suggest contact the Firearms Licensing Officer of the local plod to book an appointment for taking it in. Monetary value = nil. Potential aggravation = high.

Post #361752 9th Dec 2018 10:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

^ I'm already on the case so to speak and yes I discovered that revolvers fall outside of the antique exemption under CPS guidance. Would CPS run a case against me in the real world just for having it at home? Nope. I speak from considerable real world experience too. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #361753 9th Dec 2018 10:43 pm
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Firearm legislation is tighter here in NI than the rest of UK. There is absolutely no chance of anyone being allowed to keep even a delapidated firearm such as this S&W without it being on a firearms cert as an antique possession only with stipulation the barrel should be blocked. Even in its poor state the right person, or should I say wrong person, with the correct knowledge and a few spare parts could get to fire again even if it is just once. Mind you, in NI all shotguns and air rifles must be held on an FAC and secured in an approved cabinet.

Post #361758 9th Dec 2018 11:49 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Problem you have now Doc is that it's now on the internet that you have it, what if somebody working for the CPS or the Police are on this site? I would think they would be duty bound to do something.
Best take to a gun shop to look after it for you or hand it in to the police just in case. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #361761 10th Dec 2018 12:37 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Tradewind 35 wrote:
The piece is a Section 1 (FA 1968) "Firearm". 20th century service revolvers such as this are never deemed to be "antique" by cops, courts or CPS for firearms act enforcement purposes. It was made to be capable of discharging a bullet from the barrel and it is irrelevant that due to some technical issue it cannot actually go bang at the moment. There is no provision in law which can change the nature of a Section 1 firearm into something other than a Section 1, bar certification as deactivated under the EU (and UK law adopted) deactivation regulations. I suggest contact the Firearms Licensing Officer of the local plod to book an appointment for taking it in. Monetary value = nil. Potential aggravation = high.

Totally agree with the above, I have had some involvement working with a firearms dealer over the last few years and used to give an annual talk to forensic science students on firearms issues. There are two potential problems here
1. The mere possession without a licence is an offence in itself, I would take it immediately to a registered firearms dealer (not the police) for safekeeping or at least give it to someone with a firearms certificate (not a shotgun certificate). I have known of several occasions when people (usually a widow) has rung up and said that her deceased husband had some guns and could we dispose of them. We used to send someone round to collect them rather than have her bring them in.
2. despite the condition and as I guess you don't have a deactivation certificate, this is a handgun and handguns are totally banned in the UK except for use police and military. (This was as a result of the 1996 Dunblane school massacre)

Basic advice - get rid of it. Incidentally the police used to bring guns to us as a dealer as they don't have anywhere to store them so we had a collection of guns taken off licence holders who had perhaps had a marriage breakdown or mental health issue, we even had a replica Civil War musket bought in once. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #361763 10th Dec 2018 12:47 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

axle wrote:
Problem you have now Doc is that it's now on the internet that you have it, what if somebody working for the CPS or the Police are on this site? I would think they would be duty bound to do something.
Best take to a gun shop to look after it for you or hand it in to the police just in case.

I’m all over it. Let’s just say I have some insiders Wink LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #361765 10th Dec 2018 1:14 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>