Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > And one for the shooting/gun enthusiasts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

All sorted. I called into the local gunshop (without the gun) and he confirmed my suspicions that it would cost more to get a certificate that declares it safe and legal than it is worth in value.

I phoned an insider so to speak and I’ll drop it off at the front desk at the police station tomorrow and they will get their armed response cops to officially make it safe before disposal.

Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #361776 10th Dec 2018 2:23 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Sounds good. We had a number of people come in who wanted to put grandad's old shotgun on the wall as an ornament etc and the process costs several hundred £s to send it off to a proofing house and get the certificate. Basically unless it was an antique Holland and Holland or a Purdey in mint condition it wasn't worth it.

Reminded me of the story though of some guy who stole a classic Holland and Holland and sawed the barrel off for a bank job. Apart from eventually getting nicked, the money he got from the bank was less than the value of the gun he had destroyed. Duh.... 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #361777 10th Dec 2018 3:14 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Certainly the best route to take Doc.

When I was growing up everyone’s favourite uncle had a war souvenir, revolvers, bayonets , you name it someone had one , my favourite was the .303 rounds loaded into stripper clips, 5 at a time if I remember rightly . I won’t go into what ingenious ten year olds did with those Rolling with laughter

But times have changed, and should your relic ever get into the wrong hands it would still look nasty pointed at the post office clerk , yes the melting pot is the best place for it . Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #361778 10th Dec 2018 3:16 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

our family used to have an old Martini Henry rifle that belonged to my great granddad. Whilst his medals and uniform now reside in the regimental museum in Canarvon (?) castle the rifle disappeared somewhere. Utter shame.

Post #361779 10th Dec 2018 3:44 pm
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

A few years ago I saw a beautiful Martini action go for disposal. The owner had inherited it and had no interest in it, just wanted rid of it. No amount of talking to him would dissuade him so off it went for cutting up. Also saw the authorities seize a mint BSA 303 stamped 1916 over a very minor FAC problem. It was also cut up despite being a piece of local history. Shame.

Post #361785 10th Dec 2018 4:23 pm
MartynB

RogB wrote:
our family used to have an old Martini Henry rifle that belonged to my great granddad. Whilst his medals and uniform now reside in the regimental museum in Canarvon (?) castle the rifle disappeared somewhere. Utter shame.

That’s a real shame as you could have legally kept that rifle without a FAC . I think I’d be having a word with Michael Caine about where it went , He and Stanley Baker cornered the market in them .... 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #361789 10th Dec 2018 5:15 pm
dorsetfreelander

Why would he have been able to keep it legally without a FAC? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #361791 10th Dec 2018 6:35 pm
MartynB

This ... https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/articles/obsolete-calibre-list/ 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #361793 10th Dec 2018 7:24 pm
dorsetfreelander

Remember this?
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/d...ul-edmunds

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/o...court-told 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #361809 11th Dec 2018 1:28 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

MartynB wrote:
RogB wrote:

That’s a real shame as you could have legally kept that rifle without a FAC . I think I’d be having a word with Michael Caine about where it went , He and Stanley Baker cornered the market in them ....

we think it ended up in the hands of one my cousins who IIRC was at University at the time and probably sold it on for beer tokens.

Post #361813 11th Dec 2018 9:01 am
MartynB

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Remember this?
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/d...ul-edmunds

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/o...court-told

Yes , I do , There was a TV documentary about his crimes . Unfortunately whatever rules are in place for law abiding people , there will always be some clown who can circumvent it . It has always been the case and it always will be . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #361815 11th Dec 2018 10:21 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Somewhat off topic but this reminds me of an incident involving a cop friend many yonks ago. There had been an armed robbery at a local cornershop where the bad guy had a shotgun. It made the headlines in the local rag for weeks after. Unrelated to the robbery my cop friend went to a house to enquire about a "lost cat", as he put it, or something quite trivial. When he got there and saw the man he wanted to speak to the man told him that he knew what he (the cop) wanted and it was in the loft and offered to get it. So the cop asked the man what was it in the loft and he said it was the gun he used in the robbery. The cop had no idea the man was involved on the robbery and took untold brownie points for tackling and arresting an armed criminal and solving the robbery.

J

Post #361871 12th Dec 2018 9:07 am
Largered

Dixon of Dock Green must have been very proud of himself.

Post #361875 12th Dec 2018 11:09 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

[quote="Jimboland] . . . . many yonks ago[/quote]

Yonks . . . now there's a word you don't hear often Wink

Post #361876 12th Dec 2018 12:00 pm
ronp

Scotland 

The Doctor wrote:
I phoned an insider so to speak and I’ll drop it off at the front desk at the police station tomorrow and they will get their armed response cops to officially make it safe before disposal.

If not already done so, make sure you book it in before you travel, you don't want to get pulled over for some minor traffic offence/check and they find you're carrying an unlicensed gun.
Better still, get 'armed response' to collect it from you. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #361877 12th Dec 2018 12:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>