« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > CCTV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red
CCTV

Anyone use a cctv system? Looking for recommendations on type/brand etc .. also looking for installers in the central belt , Glasgow side Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #360769 20th Nov 2018 1:46 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Yes I have a Swann System similar to this
https://www.swann.com/uk/swdvk-845504

It is quite easy to install, just plug and play. The only problems come from working out the best place to put it and the wiring runs.

It works very well and reliably, and there is a lot of flexibility in how each camera is set up to start recording on changes in its field of vision.

The only thing is that, like most alarm systems these days, nobody else takes any notice or responds if the alarm sounds.

For example, I accidentally remotely set my car alarm off today, and in a crowded Tesco car park, not one person took any notice. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #360773 20th Nov 2018 2:37 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I too have a Swann. Works fine. However, unless you get the models with at least HD cameras, don't expect high quality video. Mine is fine for seeing if someone was in our garden or what not but unless they looked right at the camera from a pretty close distance, you'd never be able to identify them. Obviously night vision deteriorates the image quality further. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #360774 20th Nov 2018 2:43 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Netgears Arlo Pro System, unit inside plugs in to the router, upto 5 cameras positioned around the garden and house, all battery powered. they last for around 2 months or more depending on the location and activity dectected

So since installing, ive caught a bloke peeing, a group of lads coming to steal the Audi S4 (till they saw the camera) and a bloke pooing on the front door pathway

self installed and can't complain about quality Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #360775 20th Nov 2018 2:48 pm
9Dave9

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I've just fitted one of these simple to fit and on offer at the moment https://www.spycameracctv.com/spycamera/2-...screen-dvr

Post #360776 20th Nov 2018 3:12 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

A few generalised thoughts on the topic of installing CCTV:

Be clear on what you want to achieve from the system
    Digital Video Recorders (DVR) vary in quality and storage capacity
    Cameras - do you want to identify people or just recognise them - the higher the definition the higher the cost
    Wired or wireless system - one needs cable runs and power the other needs batteries
    How many cameras? and to cover what areas? The field of view on some cameras can be very limited - you will need to consider weather proofing any cameras you use outside - that too can cause problems with condensation and water ingress
    Setting up cameras can be an absolute nightmare unless you have a portable video monitor - otherwise its up and down after each adjustment to check that you can see what you want to see.
    Have you read up on the law relating to use of CCTV and the implications for privacy?
    Finally will it affect your insurance? Some companies take the view that rather than a deterrant Cameras actually draw attention to property as a target.

Hope that helps Thumbs Up No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #360777 20th Nov 2018 3:13 pm
Purplemadboy

Thanks guys , intimately I was looking at the nest wireless system ( I was happy with the cheapest monthly subs for 3 cameras) but after watching a YouTube video and one of the cons the guy mentioned was the amount of data sent to the cloud .. it could be upto 100gb per camera , my internet is unlimited usage but even so I thought that no company is going to wear that for every. Another reason I looked at the nest system is my BB router is in the livingroom and I don’t want wires all over the outside of the house.
My mate down in Cambridge has a Swann system and says it’s good. So that got me thinking of a wired system. I have easy access to my loft so the PVR. For the system could stay up there and wiring to it would be simple. The problem I have then is connecting the PVR to the router so that I can see what’s going on via my phone or iPad . I’ve just found out about a pass through socket which always my internet to travel through my 13amp sockets , so this might be the way to go.
I looked at the Arlo but having to charge them up isn’t handy as all the cameras will be under the roof eves and there at least 30 feet high and I don’t have a ladder to reach that high . Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #360778 20th Nov 2018 3:13 pm
IanMetro

I would be wary of a wireless system, too easy to hack, or just block the signal.
I do not even let my wired system talk to the internet.

If you are only after deterrent, a couple of signs and a couple of camera housings will do.

Do not forget that cameras are no substitute for good physical security and fencing. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #360780 20th Nov 2018 3:46 pm
Largered

".... all the cameras will be under the roof eves and there at least 30 feet high and I don’t have a ladder to reach that high ..."

First, position your caravan under the eves.

Second, use a small step ladder to gain access to the roof of your caravan.

Third, lift ladder to roof of caravan.

Forth, get up the ladder to the eves.

You knew you wanted to make better all-year round use of that caravan.

other options are available.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #360781 20th Nov 2018 3:54 pm
Purplemadboy

Potentially we will be going on holiday for at least a month or two , that’s why I want something that I can check on what’s happening on my iPad if I get an alert.
I have fencing and a wall on three sides but anyone could climb over them .
I would like at least HD so that if someone came into my property they could be recognised.
The wireless system (nest) runs in mains , I wouldn’t use a system that ran on battery power.
If I went wired I think I would need at least 4TB.
The nest system seems to use the widest field of view and being wireless I could put one on my garage roof looking up my drive to the street, this would allow me to have 3 cameras rather than 4. As I said earlier the big down side of nest is the amount of data sent to the cloud .
The wired system is also easy to install as I have power in my loft . Too keep an eye on my drive and garage I would need to put one on the gable of the house .
Never thought my insurance would go up , surly that’s case if you have a burglar alarm box on the outside of the house .
Never gave the privacy law a 2nd thought , all the cameras will be pointing to my property. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #360783 20th Nov 2018 4:34 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have the Swann and it's very good I also have a monitor and the picture's are very clear, the app on the phone is also good fitted them myself as its plug and play, I have 4 cameras and room for 4 more if needed

Post #360784 20th Nov 2018 4:36 pm
Purplemadboy

Largered wrote:
".... all the cameras will be under the roof eves and there at least 30 feet high and I don’t have a ladder to reach that high ..."

First, position your caravan under the eves.

Second, use a small step ladder to gain access to the roof of your caravan.

Third, lift ladder to roof of caravan.

Forth, get up the ladder to the eves.

You knew you wanted to make better all-year round use of that caravan.

Unfortunately I can’t get my van in front of my house , but that’s for the idea

other options are available.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #360785 20th Nov 2018 4:37 pm
IanMetro

Be aware that I have found that if you mount your cameras in too cosy a position (sheltered, close to eaves, or under overhanging roof), Spiders will set up home, spin webs over infrared lamps & lens, and generally wreck your night-time picture with reflections. I have to check my pictures regularly and clear webs as necessary.

Also there are lots of different cameras that will fit your DVR. Choose one that meets your range, field of vision, infrared capability, etc.

Each camera on my system has a combined signal and power cable back to the first joint, making it easy to arrange a power source for each.

Most systems will connect up to the internet either for backing up to remote storage, or to allow on line monitoring.
I still say use this facility sparingly, and keep altering passwords, etc, as you will be broadcasting when the property is empty.

Automatic external lights are very cheap now, and provide a better (or additional deterrent), as do random internal lights. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #360788 20th Nov 2018 5:57 pm
shamus5178

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Has anyone got experience of the Ring system? Only asking as my mate who fits fire alarms has one at home and swears by his?

Post #360792 20th Nov 2018 6:47 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Make sure you can get to the cameras easily enough, as mentioned you will need to clear spider webs away (Spider-X sprayed over the camera helps though), and also after rain storms you will need to clean the lenses, the water drops dry on the lense and ruin the night vision. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #360795 20th Nov 2018 8:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>