Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > CCTV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Thanks guys , I think this guy was just bad mouthing Swann , I can get a Swann with 4 4k cameras and a 2tb machine for £750 .. rent a ladder for £20 for a week. I think I need to drill through the gable wall into my loft , that’s probably the hardest part. Everything else is plug and play Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #360908 22nd Nov 2018 7:03 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

The NVR if I have it right is a single cable so requires a smaller hole mine is the two cable and its a fairly large hole to get both the plugs through

Post #360912 22nd Nov 2018 7:37 pm
Purplemadboy

That’s right Archie, it’s just an rj45 (same cable that plugs into your router) that plugs into the recorder and camera. That’s why I’m reluctant to pay someone to do it. 2 different people said it’s an all day job for 2 guys Neutral . How hard is it to drill 3 holes in a wooden eve and 1 through a brick wall ? If that takes all day I’m a monkeys uncle .. where’s my banana? Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #360914 22nd Nov 2018 8:38 pm
archie98

It took me a couple of hours 3 at the most

Post #360918 22nd Nov 2018 9:37 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Purplemadboy wrote:
That’s right Archie, it’s just an rj45 (same cable that plugs into your router) that plugs into the recorder and camera. That’s why I’m reluctant to pay someone to do it. 2 different people said it’s an all day job for 2 guys Neutral . How hard is it to drill 3 holes in a wooden eve and 1 through a brick wall ? If that takes all day I’m a monkeys uncle .. where’s my banana?

When I had my 5 camera system installed it took one and a half days. , and that was one man all day on day one , and two men for 1/2 a day on day two with a buddy . Of course every installation will be different , and our “ loft “ is nothing more than a 3’ high 50’ long crawl space. On the installation no pretermintated cables were used , fused spurs were installed as a DVR shouldn’t be on a switched plug all the cables were routed through 6mm holes and cut to length and brought down trunking into the house and a seperate 12 supply is used . On day 2 , the set up involved two guys physically setting the cameras one inside, one outside whilst I approved the final view , how much zoom etc, how did I want it configured . I was around all of the time so I know they were no shirking. Will your Swan plug and play be up to the same standards ? Well probably no reason it will not , but these guys if they are from a reputable company they are not monkeys and will be using component systems . I could not have installed the system I have in and commissioned it in twice the time on my own . The final job is immaculate with only 6’ of HDMI cable exiting from a skirting board to the bedroom TV visible . Again won’t be a problem if you can run your swan in the attic totally from a phone or iPad .

In the end you pays your money and takes your choice . And I do think the Swan system has impressive utility and specifications. Howere I do think you will underestimate the time to get it installed and fully commissioned , but of course your time is free , and theirs is not 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #360935 23rd Nov 2018 10:42 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

I use off the reel "Shotgun" profile cable and fit my own connectors - it is far easier and less mess than drilling out for the large ready fitted BNC connectors that come with most plug and play kits.

I also have a portable video monitor which is key to a proper installation. It takes time to determine the optimum camera position and to ensure that the field of view and resolution are suitable for what is required. As I said in an earlier post the alternative is constant 'toing and froing' up and down ladders to tweak the camera angle and set the zoom.

All my camera power leads terminate with a fused connection each in a purpose built lockable fuse box which is located out of sight - that and the DVR have separate un-switched power connections. That way there is no need for banks of unsightly (and prone to overheating) power adaptors plugged into an extension lead/socket. Or worse trying to run several cameras off one power adaptor using a splitter cable!

I have used plug and play systems and for the money they can be very effective but tbh they are not a patch on a bespoke system (which of course increases the time and cost). No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #360947 23rd Nov 2018 12:52 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Will any CCTV benefits justify the cost?
Will anyone monitor the images, or respond to any suspicious images?
What is your purpose for installing the CCTV?

I installed mine to act as a deterrent. Extra imagery won't help me.

I have an alarm system, hopefully someone locally may respond to that.

In the end I rely on locking doors. windows, outside lighting and a good fence.

Think of security like an onion, it gets better the more skins you have between you and the outside. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #360950 23rd Nov 2018 3:45 pm
Purplemadboy

It sounds a great installation martyn, my loft is just over 5’ high at the apex and obviously drops down to zero at the eves. They NVR system (not just Swann ) powers the cameras as well as the video image from one cable (PoE) . It’s one 6mm hole for each camera, so no separate power.
Yes it will take 2 people to get the correct viewpoint for each camera, for me that’s the hardest part . My wife can’t get into the loft to help me (chronic asthmatic, the dust up there would do her in).
I’m not that fussed about how neat the wiring is in the loft as it’s just dumping ground, as long as thewires are about of sight and can’t be damaged.
I’ve a guy from a security company coming next Thursday to give me a quote on a Honeywell system , seemingly it comes with a 3yr warranty.
You’re right my time doesn’t cost anything, I don’t work and my wife took early retirement so I don’t like paying people to do stuff that I can do myself. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #360952 23rd Nov 2018 4:08 pm
archie98

I used the app on the phone to set up the view point of the camera's I couldn't afford to pay for someone to fit mine but for around £350 and a bit of time I've been very happy with the results

Post #360956 23rd Nov 2018 4:31 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Purplemadboy wrote:

I’ve a guy from a security company coming next
You’re right my time doesn’t cost anything, I don’t work and my wife took early retirement so I don’t like paying people to do stuff that I can do myself.
m

Me too ! It’s great isn’t it ! . You shouldn’t have to have your wife up in the loft . You can get a long HDMI lead and have a telly on the hall floor. Then a long mouse cable or such and you can set your parameters up on the DVR in comfort . It may even be possible to do it all by WiFi . Main reason I didn’t have a go: I hate heights and I hate working on ladders and the cameras are between 5 to six metres .

I wasn’t having a pop at the system it sounds great , but you’re right if you can do it save the cash , I’ll be sistering a roof truss next week Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #360961 23rd Nov 2018 5:00 pm
Purplemadboy

I’m with you martyn, I don’t mind heights per say , but I’m not happy up a ladder but needs must I’ll do it. The camera for the back of the house is about 6m , the front is a wee bit smaller.
I think after next week I’ll have a clearer picture of what I want and need .
Once again you guys have been a great help with your knowledge and experience.. thank you Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #360964 23rd Nov 2018 6:34 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Martyn
Quote (Main reason I didn’t have a go: I hate heights and I hate working on ladders and the cameras are between 5 to six metres)

It seems a bit high for the cameras to get a good useable view of an intruder.

The most accurate height for installing a camera when you're in doubt is somewhere around 2.4m – 2.6m (8 feet). Still the height of the CCTV camera depends a lot upon a lot of other things there are several advantages that come with installing cameras at 2.5m and 5m height.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&...yTzU6SzpTA

May I suggest that you mount one of your cameras low down near front door, as it would be handy to catch closeup face images of those approaching door.

Also, more generally, if anyone is installing CCTV and are worried about tampering of camera cables, it is quite easy to run anti tamper wires in the cable and connect to an audible alarm. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #360965 23rd Nov 2018 6:43 pm
Purplemadboy

What is frustrating in this process is that no alarm can company near me anyway don’t have a system or 2 set up for demonstration. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #360996 24th Nov 2018 9:12 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I have a swann CCTV pro series 3mp HD

Few things learnt over the years with having had CCTV for 20 years. As some have already said keep cameras low, mine about 7-8ft high.. You need really good image of peoples faces ( originally mounted at top of house, complete pain to clean and loss of image quality )

2nd lesson learnt, don't put them up high as they need regular cleaning as the ones with in-fared attract cobwebs !

Don't by cheap, i bought 2 extra cameras on top of my 4 only to find they were 1080 & not 3MP. The difference in clarity especially at night is astonishing. ( they now do a 5mp with ethernet cable connection ) even better

Spend time fitting them neatly, but leave enough loose cable where they are mounted in case you ever need to change one, you need to be able to reach the connectors !

swan have been brilliant for me and my last camera set lasted 13 years & didn't fail but I just wanted enhanced image.
The online app where I can log in at anytime home or abroad is great Thumbs Up Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #361310 30th Nov 2018 12:48 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Just had a nest outdoor camera installed overlooking the front of the house. Very impressed with the app, picture quality and activity zones with alerts. The camera is only a few feet from our router so signal is not an issue.

The only thing I’ve noticed because we live on a main road is that at night, it’s declaring motion detected by some car headlights as they go by. The camera does not cover the road so it’s literally just the headlights which I cannot control but I can live with that.

There’s been an increase in theft of and theft from cars in our area so I’m glad it’s up and running. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #361544 5th Dec 2018 11:06 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>