« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LED Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Furyan

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black
LED Replacement

I just got my new FL2 today and the first thing I did was reaplce several interior lights with Cool-White LEDs. I bought LEDs from ULTRALEDS.CO.UK and PRISMA.COM.AU.

First up, replacing the boot light. I'm not going to describe how to remove the light as it is pretty clear in the manual (just don't be in a rush, never should be when working on car).

Replacement: PRI-FEST-42-6CW, Festoon 42mm, 65 Lumens, Cool White 8-30VDC or PRI-FEST-42-CW, Festoon 42mm, 32 Lumens, Cool White 12VDC. I used the PRI-FEST-42-6CW one.

Replacement Link (AUS): http://www.prismaled.com.au/cart.php?targe...gory_id=80

Last edited by Furyan on 12th Feb 2009 1:09 pm. Edited 4 times in total

Post #35175 21st Jan 2009 9:09 am
Furyan

Next, the Map/Reading lights. I am only showing the front one as the procedure and install is exacly the same for the rear light. I did not replace the individual reading lights in the front light, only the main light (comes on when door opens).

Replacement: Same LEDs were used as the boot light.

I tried the ULTRALEDS units (U42CW6 (264), 42mm Cool White) and they wouldn't come one, all three of them. I haven't tested them to see if they are bad or what. The PRISMA LEDs worked perfectly so why bother.

This last photo is actually brighter than it was, the camera tried to adjust for the darkness. It is brighter than the OEM lighting, but not that bright. Smile

More to come...

Last edited by Furyan on 12th Feb 2009 1:13 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #35176 21st Jan 2009 9:26 am
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

...seems to make a significant improvement............. Thumbs Up

Post #35192 21st Jan 2009 6:04 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I've just noticed, after having a look at my car, that you have 2 map lights, as well as the interior light. Where as I only have the interior light.

Does anyone know if this is because I have an XS, and yours is higher model? Or because yours is Australian?

Always thought that when the passenger needs the light on to read the map/magazine or use iPod/Nintendo DS, it's very off putting.

Rich

Post #35293 22nd Jan 2009 8:37 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I think its a MY09 thing? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #35299 22nd Jan 2009 9:05 pm
Furyan

The 09 models also have a clear side light, not orange like earlier models.

Post #35316 22nd Jan 2009 11:50 pm
Furyan

Well, I got my first shipment in from several of the eBay LED suppliers today to finish off my light project.

Couple of problems with some of the LEDs...

1. Colour differences between same bulb types, ordered same colour, in the same package.

2. Brightness is not good enough on a lot of them, some are fine in a certain location and not others.

I have more LEDs on the way so I'll wait for them to arrive before doing the photo thing. All up I've got LEDs from six different companies.

I will tell you the worst light to fit is the vanity mirror one. It's really easy to get out, but it has a cheap ass reflector that does a Censored poor job with LEDs. Everything I've received so far has been inadequate or marginally good in this location. I've got a couple of special ones coming that I HOPE will be better.

Here is a tease of what's to come...

Customisation: LED (CW) Internal Lighting, Re-badged Steering Wheel (black/silver badge), Wheel Caps (black/silver badge), Black Magic Tint, Santorini Black handles

Accessories: LR Chronograph, LR Golf Umbrella, LR Pen, LR Key Chain, LR Hat (blue), Rubber Boot Protector Mat, Side Steps, Mud Flaps, Body Side Mouldings

Last edited by Furyan on 11th Feb 2009 3:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #36948 11th Feb 2009 2:57 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Is the 12V boot contact standard on MY2009 models as well Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #36953 11th Feb 2009 3:14 pm
Furyan

AndyC wrote:
Is the 12V boot contact standard on MY2009 models as well Question

The boot light is 12V on my MY09 Si6 HSE and I have a 12V cigarette lighter outlet (apparently some don't). Everything I've run into on the FL2 is 12V. Customisation: LED (CW) Internal Lighting, Re-badged Steering Wheel (black/silver badge), Wheel Caps (black/silver badge), Black Magic Tint, Santorini Black handles

Accessories: LR Chronograph, LR Golf Umbrella, LR Pen, LR Key Chain, LR Hat (blue), Rubber Boot Protector Mat, Side Steps, Mud Flaps, Body Side Mouldings

Last edited by Furyan on 11th Feb 2009 5:45 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #36954 11th Feb 2009 3:51 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

I think so, when I made the spec for may 2009MY SX (Belgian version S with extra's by importer) it states that I too will have 12V boot contact.

Post #36955 11th Feb 2009 3:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Furyan

OK, here is a bit more info and pics. First, let's go over a few things...

1. I have purchased LEDs from UltraLED, GXX LED Center, ExtremeBrightLEDs, e-bay-suto-shop and PrismaLED. Over $350 AUD worth all up.

2. All of the stores were easy to order from and I had zero issues, nothing but good things at this level. All of the LEDs I ordered were exactly as descibed and worked everywhere I used them. Even the RED ones. Cool

3. Now what the literature/adds say about their respective products is clearly biased and from my perspective usually wrong (not all of them), but it is subjective and as such my opinion will differ from someone elses. Rolling Eyes

Let's take a look at the LEDs I played with this last week (skipping the ones I already used earlier in thread)...

As I said earlier, all of the LEDs worked and I have no issue with the quality of their build.

What I was looking to do with these LEDs was replace the following: footwells, door (under door), mirror, vanity, license plate (rego) and glove box. Some worked in one area and not others, nothing wrong with that as it was expected. But...

What was the problem then?

I consistantly ran into three problems...

1. Brightness (or lack thereof)

2. Light pattern, how the light spread (spotlight vs. flood etc.).

3. Colour

I am going after a COOL WHITE scheme. Most white LEDs are XENON WHITE, sometimes just reffered to as WHITE. Surprised

Here is an example that shows the colour difference between a COOL WHITE LED (left) and a XENON WHITE/WHITE LED (right). Yes, I fiddled with the graphic, had to hide license plate number. The colours you see are taken from the actual reflection. The camera could have altered the colour as well... you get the idea.

So, most of the LEDs weren't COOL WHITE and as such I wasn't big into wanting to use them, but I decided to use them until I found better replacements. The next issue I ran into was that BRIGHTNESS issue. Some of the LEDs are NOWHERE near as bright as claimed. Sometimes the problem was because of how the LEDs were mounted and how that gave off light, however, a lot of them were just really middle of the road bright.

Yes, you can use them and you might be happy. I just wasn't happy with the amount of light I saw coming out of those locations (mirror, vanity etc.), even from the so called ULTRA/HIGH POWERED/MOST POWERFUL LEds I got.

See next message for continuation... Customisation: LED (CW) Internal Lighting, Re-badged Steering Wheel (black/silver badge), Wheel Caps (black/silver badge), Black Magic Tint, Santorini Black handles

Last edited by Furyan on 12th Feb 2009 10:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #37026 12th Feb 2009 12:14 pm
Furyan

Let's look at the specific locations and what I settled for and what I am now using (got new LEDs today).

Footwells: The 2nd LED (pictures in previous post) is what I used. The brightest of the bunch (except one), problem is that it is focused straight ahead. GXX LED CENTER (HI-Power LED 501 W5W Sidelight bulbs)

Glove Box: The 6th LED, the others didn't give even lighting. I found this to be somewhat low powered. UltraLED ([U5011W])

Door Puddle: Colour was an issue here, settled on the 6th LED. Definately not bright enough, but best compromise. UltraLED ([U5011W])

Mirror (puddle): This needed to be somewhat powerful. I again had to settle for the wrong colour, hard to tell though. I used the 5th LED, gave best result. One problem is that it doesn't seat into the outlet very well. It will become loose after a couple of good bumps, mine did. UltraLED (U5019W)

Vanity Light: This definately needed a bright LED, has a lousy reflector. None of them worked, but I had to use something till I found a replacement. I used the 2nd one, barely gave enough light to see myself in mirror. GXX LED CENTER (HI-Power LED 501 W5W Sidelight bulbs)

License Plate/Rego: I settled on the 3rd LED. Others worked, minus colour issues, it is just a matter of how bright you want the plate to be lit. GXX LED CENTER (4 LED Xenon white HID T11 501 W5W Sidelight bulbs UK)

Like I said, I had to settle for these as they were the closest ones I had available to what I wanted. I should point out that the colour may not be an issue for others as they may want XENON WHITE/WHITE.

As I wasn't happy with the solution so far, I ordered more LEDs. Today I received the first of three packages, this one from PrismaLED. Still waiting from one from GXX LED CENTER and E-BAY-AUTO-SHOP.

Here is the LED I got from PrismaLED (PRI-T10CW)...

This LED is easily the brigtest LED of them all, I mean easily. It is also COOL WHITE in colour, I used the PrismaLED LEDs earlier in the boot etc. I've swapped out every light with these. The only exception may be the license plate/rego as it may be too bright.

Note: UltraLEDs has a similar LED in XENON WHITE ([U5016HW])

Here is a pic of it in the vanity location...

Here is a pic of the front of my FL2, front dome light and both vanity lights...

That's it for now. There is one set of lights left to go, the individual lights in the front dome light. They have a different outlet type, BA9S. I have LEDs for this coming so I'll update this when I get them. I also have LEDs from E-BAY-AUTO-SHOP coming as well. Customisation: LED (CW) Internal Lighting, Re-badged Steering Wheel (black/silver badge), Wheel Caps (black/silver badge), Black Magic Tint, Santorini Black handles

Post #37027 12th Feb 2009 12:18 pm
tunaz100

United Kingdom 

I went to replace my boot light with an LED as it was not working and it does not seem to be wired up so could never have worked anyone else had this issue?

Post #37217 16th Feb 2009 5:40 pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Furyan wrote:
Here is the LED I got from PrismaLED (PRI-T10CW)

I couldn't find these LEDs at PrismaLED. Any link?

Thx

Regards,

Manou Freelander 2 SE 4Td Izmir Blue, Dog cage for Alaskan Malamute, iphone Navigon Navigator

Post #48537 10th Oct 2009 9:11 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Any recomendations for a UK supplier of the relevant bulbs? Would they be the same part number here? (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #56214 21st Jan 2010 11:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>