Print this entire topic · 
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
F 1 today

Has anyone watched the start of the new F1 season my god was it boring

Post #345796 25th Mar 2018 12:50 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Nope ! I’ve been watching World SuperBikes where they still know how to race Rolling with laughter 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #345808 25th Mar 2018 2:12 pm
Largered

I'm a big fan of F1.

1/ get rid of the new F1 logo !

2/ get rid of the HALO

3/ Bring back the Grid Girls !

Otherwise i'm happy Laughing

Post #345811 25th Mar 2018 2:17 pm
taztastic

England 

Bring back racing should be no.1 on that list.

F1 is a sponsorship parading puppet show.

Post #345815 25th Mar 2018 2:44 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I usually watch Q3 qualifying and reckon that 90% of the time that will give you the final race result. One race is not a good statistical sample for 2018 but 50% right so far so not bad so far.
What I am trying to say is that I now find it rather boring and tedious to watch. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #345821 25th Mar 2018 3:28 pm
Largered

Well it wasn't HAAS day.

I can remember driving down to the south of France in 2016, a HAAS hit a FL2 !

........ whilst I was driving around Monaco on the Saturday, I was stopped at a red light. When suddenly one of those scooters drove up my right side and knocked my mirror. I shout "steady", to which the guy replied "Sorry" and he straightened my mirror back.
.................it was only when we got a green light that he took off and I noticed he was a member of the HAAS F1 team.......

Laughing Laughing

Post #345833 25th Mar 2018 5:49 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Vettle passed Hamilton by pitting when there was a safety car out. That's not racing. Can't argue against safety cars for safety reasons but something must be done to ensure that real racing can continue. But what's the point when so called racing is on a circuit where overtaking is extremely difficult if not impossible. What you get is effectively a procession waiting for someone to break down or make a mistake. Get rid of these crappy street circuits except for Monaco but for that race bring back the 1950s racing cars.

J

Post #345882 26th Mar 2018 10:11 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I agree but remember when old Schumacher had a penalty which he had to serve in 4 laps when he was 3 laps from the finish he went past the flag into the pits stood there for 10 seconds and won,all the commentators said well I didn't see that coming what a genius. I think it's all about seeing an advantage and taking it.

Post #345897 26th Mar 2018 2:22 pm
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

I am seeing if I can ween myself off F1 as I refuse to go "Pay to View" and, as such this will be the last year I can watch it in the UK. Also, due the the bizarre licencing rights I couldn't watch it on "View Earlier" on Freesat or indeed find a repeat. Ok, so it was nice weather outside and I didn't want to waste it sitting in front of the TV and now I can't watch the race highlights.

I do find F1 fascinating through the technology and politics so (in some extent fortunately) the racing is only part of the thing. But, for a large conglomerate rather than an autocracy, the new owners still seem to be making some spectacular cock ups.

No grid girls ....for goodness sake. Did anyone ask the Grid Girls what they thought?

Post #345906 26th Mar 2018 3:16 pm
Largered

The Grid Girls have had to go back to school to learn another profession Laughing

--------------

I enjoy the strategy ....... and yesterdays race was all about that.

Remember Hamilton has won 3 world titles ............................ his first title 2008 was 'gifted' to him NOT won, Massa (and his dad) thought he had won. NO ! ..... strategy came into play and Lewis went from 6th to 5th, after Glock slowed down and let Lewis through !
Yes he is credited with 4 world titles, 3 wins and a gift ........ Whistle Whistle

Post #345908 26th Mar 2018 3:44 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I used to really like F1 but these days its so boring. Its just lost any sense of fun. I'd would much rather watch BTCC, GP Moto/Superbikes (now that really is exciting and Ive not driven a motorbike for 40 years) or even amateur UTube videos of Nurburgring crashes Jules

Post #345932 26th Mar 2018 8:41 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: F 1 today

archie98 wrote:
Has anyone watched the start of the new F1 season my god was it boring

Somebody probably did, Oh it was you Very Happy Jules

Post #345933 26th Mar 2018 8:42 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

F1 cars and drivers ? Its just a moving car park and about as exciting as below:

"F1 refers to the selective breeding of a plant by cross pollinating two different parent plants." FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #345955 27th Mar 2018 8:52 am
Geordie Boy

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Been an avid enthusiast of F1 all my life, well as long as I can remember, but I have to say, sundays race was so boring!

When will the FIA ban all these aerodynamics from the race cars, & lets get back to some proper racing?

I mean, whats the point in making these cars going faster & faster in a straight line & round in field corners, only to get stuck behind slower cars, because the aerodynamics then won't work when they are following said cars?

And as for the grid girls! you can't really get excited by a digital board at the side of the track with a number on it!

Conclusion, shake up the stupid PC brigade, get the girls back, kick the FIA up the arse, & make the sport interesting again, or the TV's all around the world will be getting switched off!

Rant over! normal service will follow soon!

Post #345972 27th Mar 2018 11:59 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Been a lifelong fan of F1 too but I can take it or leave it these days. Hopefully,now Ross Brawn is on board they might start making some decent decisions because they do seem to keep moving in the wrong direction, I always thought it was a mistake a few years back to allow bigger front wings on the cars, it made them easier to damage and increased aero effects, surely they want to be going the other way and decreasing the size of these wings so the car is less reliant on aero ability.

For me part of the race was the in-seaon development, having a team bring a new engine to the race mid-season with an extra 80bhp, or the unreliability factor where they had cut the margins to fine. With only 3 engines allowed this year they can't take any risks so its going to be Eco racing. It go a bit stupid when McLaren had qualifying engines, they put a stop to that but its gone way to far the other way now.

Personally I wouldn't mind them trying a radical format where they reverse the grid according to their finishing position at the last race, you win, you start at the back for the next race. Plenty of overtaking , stops the fastest car qualifying at the front and dissapearing into the distance every race, they would have to design them for overtaking as well. There would be no need to lose Saturday qualifying as you could retain it and award points instead of position. They would never do it though, sponsers don't want to see their car at the back. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #345991 27th Mar 2018 5:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>