Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Is extended warranty worth it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
paxman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey
Is extended warranty worth it?

My extended warranty expired in April. Lloyd Motor offer the extended warranty below:

Quote:
There is 2 types of warranty available through Land Rover, the top one being Land Rover Extended which covers all mechanical and electrical components of the vehicle which are original manufacturer fit. Has unlimited Claim and Unlimited Mileage allowance on the policy and also includes MOT Test insurance of £750.00 (excess £50) and is available with or without Land Rover Assistance.

The other option is Land Rover Select Extended which covers Named Components only, does not cover “consequential damage” has a mileage restriction of 25,000 miles and a Claim limit of £3000 per limit per claim. It does include the MOT Test Insurance of £750.00 (excess £50) and is available with or without the Land Rover Assistance.

Prices for these policy are detailed below and can be paid as either a one-off payment or 10 x monthly Direct Debit Instalments Interest Free: -

Land Rover Extended Warranty without Assistance £640.00 or 10 x £64.00

Land Rover Extended Warranty with Assistance £790.00 or 10 x £79.00

Land Rover Select Extended Warranty without Assistance £505.00 or 10 x £50.50

Land Rover Select Extended Warranty with Assistance £655.00 or 10 x £65.50

I bought the car when it was 2 year old and it has 1+1 year extended warranty. Following were repaired by extended warranty since I own the vehicle.

- Haldex pump + oil (Gear box fault traction reduced)
- Replace rear high break light (leaked).
- Driver side windows regulator (not 1 shot close or open).

In addition I paid to get oil for gear box and both front and rear diff. replaced. Vehicle is fully serviced by LR approved dealer.

For the peace of mind should I buy the extended warranty in case things like turbo, haldex or front/rear diff. go? Do LR willing to pay for these or they only partially contribute? What about other wear and tear items that perished before their expected time like cam belt / water pump etc.?

I am looking at the £640 Extended warranty without assistance. Any commend or advice is appreciated

Post #318408 27th Feb 2017 6:28 pm
taztastic

England 

I went for it, shortly afterwards the EGR faulted and left me stranded, loan car and all sorted under warranty. I put mine through the business as it's a 'working' car, so perhaps circumstances are a little different.
Alternatively, stick £60 to one side every month for unforeseen events, arguing with LR may get a goodwill gesture and what you save may cover the difference.

Post #318409 27th Feb 2017 7:16 pm
valleyforge

England 

I had the LR extended warranty on both a D3 & an RRS each for a couple of years or so - quite expensive. Never had a claim even though things like anti roll bar bushes, air compressors, alternators, discs etc. needed replacing after failing - wear & tear apparently and thus not covered , with the appropriate enormous bills.
Am now pondering on the freelie as its coming up for 3 years - probably not, as its a much simpler vehicle, and the bills, should they arrive will hopefully be in the hundreds not the thousands like its bigger brothers. I doubt I'll get to 100k miles anytime soon either, when the bigger bits tend to go.
Hey Ho Sheep FL2 Ex D2, D3, RRS, etc. now all gone.

Post #318411 27th Feb 2017 8:01 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Unfortunately everything in life is a gamble.
You may need it or you may not. Whistle Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #318416 27th Feb 2017 8:52 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Do as taztastic suggests, stick the money away each month and save on main dealer service costs using a good local indie. Mine has cost me less than £30 in first year out of warranty (plus services costs). Of course I may have to eat my words in the morning as its MOT time. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #318425 27th Feb 2017 9:50 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Where did you get your numbers from? I have just had my extended warranty renewal through which runs out in April and it says
extended with assistance £945
select with assistance £655
With assistance less £150

These figures are the same as last year

Our FL2s have had quite few problems sorted by LR warranty but at 79+k miles I will shortly be faced with a choice with my current 11 plate, do I spend £950 for another extended warranty with LR assist or trade it in? It's easy to say put the £950 towards repairs but with an older vehicle repairs will become more, rather than less likely. There is a human tendency to say that it's been OK up to now so it will be OK in the future but that's not logical and unfortunately my FL2 will have to go soon as I would not countenance owning one without warranty. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #318426 27th Feb 2017 9:51 pm
dorsetfreelander

Interesting I just went on the LR website and asked for a extended warranty quote for my car and it came back "no products available" are they trying to tell me something? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #318428 27th Feb 2017 9:59 pm
taztastic

England 

Extended with assistance, I pay £79 per month over 10 months

Post #318430 27th Feb 2017 10:06 pm
dorsetfreelander

Newer vehicle I guess and what is your mileage? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #318431 27th Feb 2017 10:08 pm
taztastic

England 

You paid £800 last year?

Post #318432 27th Feb 2017 10:10 pm
dorsetfreelander

I don't know why I said that,must have been a senior moment. Just had a look (image below) it was exactly the same as this year's quote. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #318433 27th Feb 2017 10:18 pm
dorsetfreelander

3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #318434 27th Feb 2017 10:19 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

This year was the first where I gambled and cancelled the extended warranty.

Needed a new throttle body and Haldex pump last month Big Cry

Post #318459 28th Feb 2017 7:42 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I don't know if the extended is the same as the approved warranty but im glad I had mine on my Evoque.

1 month into ownership it started showing what turned out to be signs of a failing front transfer box. Supplying dealer failed to diagnose and fix it.
5 months into ownership (20th Dec) the transfer box is diagnosed as having failed (car in 2WD only) and also taken the gearbox down. (suspect it may have been failed when I bought it)

New transfer box, gearbox and crank case seals all replaced under warranty, no arguments, no hassles.

When the 2 years approved warranty is up I will look towards an approved used 2.0 Si4 petrol Evoque if I can find one (due to the impending diesel doom)

IMO putting a few quid aside each month will not cover a 5k bill 5 months into ownership...

Post #318465 28th Feb 2017 8:40 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

IMO putting a few quid aside each month will not cover a 5k bill 5 months into ownership...

Yes, crap happens but its all on balance. If you are an off roader or regular tower of a heavy van you could expect more problems than Mr average but in your scenario was it more of a dealer not being straight with you the customer in first place.

If owned for a while most cars give a feel when heading off towards oblivion I would hope to be be chipping out well in advance of paying out that sort of money. Steady extra attention for your loved one goes a long way such as having the Haldex out and fully serviced and maybe a new battery long before it physically fails.

But look on the bright side a 5K repair should have a long guarantee so why insure it twice. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #318469 28th Feb 2017 9:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>