Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Any point in buying a diesel in the future?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black
Any point in buying a diesel in the future?

Just reading about Sadiq Kahn's £10 levy on pre Euro4 diesels. The sign of more things to come no doubt - can only be time before Euro 4 is included too?

I'm hoping to keep my FL2 for another 4 years then will replace it with another SUV. Unlikely to be a Land Rover as I'm effectively priced out already. Real shame.

So, looking ahead, I'll probably get a CRV, XC60, Edge, Kodiaq, Qashqai, Ateca or something similar. I've read the "would you consider something other than a Freelander 2?" thread with great interest - it's great to get others' insights.

My question is more general. Given the backlash against diesel and the likely resale problems, is it daft to plan on getting anything other than a petrol (or hybrid) in 4 years time?

Post #317826 19th Feb 2017 11:40 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Difficult Question, because it does not just come down to fuel. It also encompasses the driveability of the car. For SUV type vehicles the range that maximum torque is developed in the Diesel engines makes them IMHO much easier to drive, and far better for towing, far better for using off road. So why did you pick a diesel in the first place.

As to what will follow in 4 years time, who knows ? If you told me 12 months ago , that the £ would have crashed, We'd be leaving the EU and Trump would be President, I'd have laughed.

I think all you can do is make decisions on a spreadsheet Do it purely financially at the time. Make up a total lifetime cost model covering all the extras in place at the time , like city centre premiums,

If diesel vehicles are the new curse of society, there will be a lot of very nice nearly new vehicles available at a low price, and new ones will have to be heavily discounted so lifetime costing might be viable v alternative fuels. Also when the government start losing tax revenue to electric vehicles, they will find a way to tax them, that's one thing you can be sure of.

I'm going to work on the fact that if we keep the 09 another couple of years it owes us nothing at all. The Outback is Euro 6 and I'd intended to run it for 4 or 5 years and lose 20- 24 grand, if there are punitive restrictions in place I'll run for 7 years and lose all 29 Laughing

I've started taking the train a few times a week now especially if I'm traveling solo. cheapest parking for half a day in Leeds plus Fuel costs me £12, Manchester , £17 , The train is pretty efficient and costs £6/£9 for those trips respectively Luckily I can make an easy 2 mile walk to a station . Having said that I'm a gentleman of leisure and can travel when it suits me Rolling with laughter 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #317828 19th Feb 2017 12:52 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I will answer this in slightly different way.

My wife has a nice petrol car and the new Diesel version is being offered as cheap on the net as a new petrol one even though at full RRP it more expensive. Would I buy one no, it will drop like a stone in value as the Diesel Engine becomes public enemy number one.

The next budget will be quite interesting I suspect and yes many of us are now priced out of the Land Rover replacement market and it will come back to bite TATA on the bum in UK.

Here endeth my Sunday Sermon. Yawn FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #317829 19th Feb 2017 12:57 pm
le bouch

MartynB wrote:
Difficult Question, because it does not just come down to fuel. It also encompasses the driveability of the car. For SUV type vehicles the range that maximum torque is developed in the Diesel engines makes them IMHO much easier to drive, and far better for towing, far better for using off road. So why did you pick a diesel in the first place.

Agreed. I don't tow and very rarely off road. I bought my first LR (Disco Td300) as at the time we'd had a succession of harsh winters and I live in a hilly area that gets cut off in heavy snow. I chose diesel for the economy - I couldn't have afforded to run a petrol Disco! The SUV/ 4x4 bug bit - I wouldn't want my partner and kids in anything else now. We got a Disco 2 next and now of course the FL2

So for me if a petrol SUV (with 4x4 if poss) could be as economical as a diesel I'd be quite happy. I have a feeling diesels are going to get hammered (as any easy target is by this government) - there is also of course the environmental side to consider as well. It seems we were all lied to about diesels in that respect.

Post #317830 19th Feb 2017 1:23 pm
le bouch

Yorky Bob wrote:

The next budget will be quite interesting I suspect and yes many of us are now priced out of the Land Rover replacement market and it will come back to bite TATA on the bum in UK.

I hope you're right but I'm not so sure. I see plenty of Evoques, RRS and DS round here. Interestingly though I don't know anyone who has actually _bought_ one. I have plenty of friends with luxury Land Rovers and they are _all_ financed in one way or another.

Post #317831 19th Feb 2017 1:28 pm
muddywheels

England 

I never thought after 16 years, 9 LRs and a Jag I'd be seen dead in anything else but after a run in a friends PHEV, some experience sharing and a spreadsheet exercise I took the plunge and no regrets Thumbs Up

For me as a company car through my business buying new was the best deal but as a private buyer I'd buy used because they appear to depreciate quickly Confused

Most of my trips are within battery range (30 summer/20 winter) so I can get away with electric all week. Weekend I tend to run out of battery and rely on petrol to get back home - current overall average mpg since September 2016 is 83.3 Mr. Green

I pay no RFL/VED, park for free in York (£2.40ph), low BIK, 100% capital allowance/interest through business, no dpf issues on short trips, no battery range worries thanks to petrol engine backup, 5 year full warranty/8 years battery, etc - wish I'd done it years ago Rolling Eyes

Loved my LRs but prices, Censored customer service, poor quality control and running costs ended the dream for me Big Cry

Would I fancy a LR phev - hell yeah but then I'd see the price, the dealer would offer me Censored px and a week after I took delivery I'd be back with a list of faults arguing with a dealer who couldn't give a Censored

Having had 2 RRS and a DS with ZF auto lethal hesitation the instant power from electric motors is fantastic - I may not have the acceleration of a Tesla but I'm not worried about range, snow or bankruptcy Wink

I've not given up on LR - looking for a Series 2 weekend toy with all the money I saved to get my fix now Cool Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #317832 19th Feb 2017 1:37 pm
seriesonenut

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi

Just had a look at the brochure, quite an interesting vehicle. Looking at the drive modes, if you exhausted the battery the car would then run on petrol charging the battery?

Just trying to work out if in any mode you would not be able to proceed (i.e a flat battery)?

Thanks

Post #317844 19th Feb 2017 6:55 pm
muddywheels

England 

You can run on pure electric or hybrid using petrol and electric

As long as you've got petrol you can drive any distance and charge battery while driving or when you stop

I've been charging it daily since September and kept note of electric costs and petrol and posted on rrsport -

muddywheels wrote:
Update for SRE and anyone else interested Wink

Electric costs to date -

Sep £13
Oct £29
Nov £26
Dec £24
Jan £30

So that's £122

Petrol costs - £298 (I currently have a full tank)

So total £420 over 4287 miles

I spent £985 covering 6893 miles in the DS

The batteries are never totally flat as it starts engine when down to 30% and recharge while driving

I've not charged since Wednesday for first time since I got it and averaging 30-35mpg using petrol hybrid mode which is as good if not better than all my previous LR diesels

Another feature I love is electric timed climate - warms car while in garage using electric with no fumes - used to have to get cold RRS out to use this feature so pointless Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Last edited by muddywheels on 19th Feb 2017 10:24 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #317854 19th Feb 2017 8:49 pm
Notanotherhobby

United Kingdom 

I currently need a diesel for work as I need to access a number of premises that require vehicles to be non-petrol and I don't think electric vehicles would be permitted seeing as mobile phones, pagers and car remotes are deemed "banned" as not being intrinsically safe. Could be interesting.

Post #317856 19th Feb 2017 9:11 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I currently need a diesel for work as I need to access a number of premises that require vehicles to be non-petrol and I don't think electric vehicles would be permitted seeing as mobile phones, pagers and car remotes are deemed "banned" as not being intrinsically safe. Could be interesting.

We have the answer.

Click image to enlarge
 FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #317857 19th Feb 2017 9:23 pm
Notanotherhobby

United Kingdom 

Different...but boot looks too small, even smaller if it carries the spare!! Thumbs Up

Post #317862 19th Feb 2017 10:15 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

Notanotherhobby wrote:

Just out of curiosity what industry do you work in? I would have thought a diesel car would pose similar issues to petrol cars for issues such as intrinsically safe electrics? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #317866 19th Feb 2017 10:35 pm
Dan_NL

Netherlands 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Manual Santorini Black

In the Netherlands car taxes are off the scale. If you drive a company car you get a percentage of the new price added to you taxable income. This actually is a "steal" . If you would get a RRS which costs around € 100.000 with some kit, these means it effectively costs you 22k added on you income, worsed case : € 800,- net. This is what I pay privately on diesel and roadtax only, for a 2006 D3... But for some years cars like the PHEV Mits costs 4%. So at 65k new this woul come down to €100 net. So hordes of people bought these as a company car. I know two persons like this, who deeply regret changing from there D3 to the PHEV. Now the tax advantage has eased of, and everybody is buying sensible cars again. And the hybrids ? They are all for export now... Whistle [ Freelander 2 TD4e MY10 Sport manual. SVR badge engineered ] SOLD
& D3 MY06 HSE , many ,many extra's...
& 2011 MiTo 1.4T 135hp Centenario Blue Monte Carlo

Post #317870 20th Feb 2017 1:24 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Stevie5tapes wrote:
Notanotherhobby wrote:

Just out of curiosity what industry do you work in? I would have thought a diesel car would pose similar issues to petrol cars for issues such as intrinsically safe electrics?

Aluminium smelters due to the absolutely massive magnetic field around the pot lines can't have petrol vehicles or any vehicle with any form of electrics. No pacemakers either, watches die both electronic & mechanical. Credit cards are wiped! Mobile phones are killed. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #317871 20th Feb 2017 3:13 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Stevie5tapes wrote:
Notanotherhobby wrote:

Just out of curiosity what industry do you work in? I would have thought a diesel car would pose similar issues to petrol cars for issues such as intrinsically safe electrics?

good question , plus the exhaust manifolds, plus the cat, plus the disc brakes, once you get into ATEX compliance for vehicle operation in " zoned areas " you are in a different world, where the conversions to make the item safe can cost more than the vehicle.

On the other hand some installations simply ban vehicles with HT circuits even if the vehicle does not go into the hazardous zone. The reason for this is that the product on that installation, say for example petrol on a refinery, or a flammable gas , , could be released and a volatile " cloud " could be present on any part of the installation and an HT circuit is seen to be a risk. On an industrial scale this is what ( probably ) happened in the Texas City catastrophe

There is relatively cheap technology available ( about £4K£ ) to shut any vehicle down if an explosive atmosphere is detected , it is normally triggered at about 5% of the Lower Explosive Limits of the products on site, and a lot of big operators insist on this for vehicles which work on their sites, but it does not get away from surface temperature issues. I've paid upwards of £45,000 to have a £20,000 forklift made atex compliant Whistle

But to put it in perspective it's all about risk and consequence, after all untrained operators ( like me me and you Laughing ) dispense petrol merrily every week into cars with HT ignition systems, but the worst consequence is losing a few cars and a forecourt, if you stand to lose a refinery for example, an HT circuit ban is just one of many layers of protection Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #317872 20th Feb 2017 3:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>