« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Reduced Engine power mode - Turbo Overboost
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
daveb500

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black
Reduced Engine power mode - Turbo Overboost

for some time I have been having problems where my 2007 freelander 2 2.2d would drop into reduced power mode, usually it did this on a motorway when just cruising, and not under any sort of load. I have a Bluetooth obd2 reader linked to my smart phone, and the same error always came back. Basically over boost.
Land Rover service told me this warranted a new turbo. Not likely at over £1000.
I did a turbo service as per the land rover service manual, i.e remove the senor link arm, and waggle the vanes 10-20 times to ensure free, then lubricate the arm pivots with high temp grease. This seemed to work for a short while, but the issue returned. Searching forums, showed many had the same problem, but not any solutions posted. I do find a general rule that people ask for help, and then rarely post the solution when its found.
I tried changing the throttle body, as mine was starting to become noisy, again thought maybe that was it, but again on a run down the A1 it happened 3 times, so I started to trace all the possible sensors in the circuit. The error over boost means it is definitely not the turbo. The problem is that the ECU is expecting a certain turbo boost pressure at a given power requirement, measured by the Manifold pressure, and so I came across the issue. The MAP sensor on the 2.2d is positioned next to the EGR valve input on the inlet manifold, this pushes hat oily gases back into the inlet, over time the MAP sensor which is basically a diaphragm become choked, and the diaphragm hardens with heat and age, thus sending a false voltage back to the ECU, this doesn't match the signals expected from the turbo, and so drops the engine in reduced power as it thinks its pushing more boost out than is required.
So a quick change of the MAP sensor at £36 and all fixed, much better than £1000 for Land Rover, and still no solution.
I hope this helps those with similar issues.

Post #317374 13th Feb 2017 9:18 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

great write up....... even if I did only understand 50% (at best) of what you were saying Very Happy

I had similar issue with a 2014 Vx Insignia 2.0 Cdti. Kept going into reduced power mode.

A friend heard that the over boost actuator valve (a small component mounted on the front bonnet shut above the radiator) was prone to sticking on this model.

As it was under Vx warranty I went back to them, who diagnosed the turbo was knackered so needed replacing. They did this at a cost to them in excess of £1500 and yet the problem was still there. They then replaced the actuator at a cost of less than £100 and the problem was fixed.
IMO most (not all) main dealers just keep replacing components regardless of cost, actual investigation and diagnosis, until the problem goes away or the customer gives up.

Post #317377 13th Feb 2017 9:54 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Interesting diagnosis and well done Dave. Thumbs Up

Moderators need to merge this with other Turbo questions possibly as it could save us all a small fortune. Idea

IMO most (not all) main dealers just keep replacing components regardless of cost, actual investigation and diagnosis, until the problem goes away or the customer gives up.

In my youth we had often enough cars in our main dealers to be able to rob one car for a an hour or so sat around and check for difficult faults that way. At least in the end the bill was Kept reasonable. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #317385 13th Feb 2017 10:28 am
proddy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'm at my wits end with my issue, been in a garage now for a week and still not looked at it as they are busy.

I agree about no posting the end result, and will if mine ever get back to normal.

Going to buy a new sensor and try it. Thanks.

Post #317436 13th Feb 2017 9:39 pm
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Mmmmm. Which Huddersfield garage could that be??

Post #317439 13th Feb 2017 9:48 pm
proddy

deano64

its not a land rover garage just a local, could you recommend one in my area?

i have been to parkside and he said turbo but dont want to pay for a turbo and its not

Post #317440 13th Feb 2017 9:53 pm
Deano64

Sorry don't have much experience since mines been going to Farnells in Leeds for 1st 3 years. Time to change this year for service / mot etc and was thinking of trying Parkside. One in Copley next to main dealer gets some good reviews on here I seem to recall

Post #317442 13th Feb 2017 10:18 pm
proddy

don't get me wrong parksides got me in and said its possibly the turbo and said they will not know until its changed, just expensive way to diagnose but very good service

Post #317444 13th Feb 2017 10:24 pm
Deano64

Heard good things about Parkside so will give them a go. It will only be 4 years old and 40000 miles so hopefully no unwelcome surprises

Post #317447 13th Feb 2017 11:02 pm
Xicon

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Ipanema Sand

Hi,
just joined the forum, bought a 2014 2.2 TD4 GS last October as a tow car for my caravan, not towed with it yet but loving the Freelander.

I had this reduced power mode situation back in early January, took to Kentdale in Kendal. 3 days warrantee left on vehicle. They said it was the gas recurculation valve, repared under warrantee, been ok ever since. That was 6 werks ago.

Ian

Post #318007 22nd Feb 2017 4:50 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

proddy wrote:
I'm at my wits end with my issue, been in a garage now for a week and still not looked at it as they are busy.

I agree about no posting the end result, and will if mine ever get back to normal.

Going to buy a new sensor and try it. Thanks.

Half time was garage busy - FL2 owner Censored off and the full time result was what Proddy ? FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #318022 22nd Feb 2017 10:28 am
proddy

still not sure, turbo seems fine but the actuator seems to be ok, had new intercooler. the change of the intercooler has retored the car back to normal but when the car restarts it goes in to limp mode and once the fault clears its ok again

Post #318026 22nd Feb 2017 11:24 am
daveb500

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black

What errors are coming up, do you have an obd2 reader?

Post #318051 22nd Feb 2017 2:30 pm
proddy

it might be best if you have a look at the original thread,i dont want to hijack this one

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic28401.html

Post #318053 22nd Feb 2017 3:22 pm
mgwanderer

Belgium 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

In my experience we are missing the real mechanic with experience and general know how. The people appear to be trained to plug in the computer and follow its instruction (therefore start with the turbo) if you are lucky to know a good independent he normally has some 2nd hand spares and changes the part, if it doesn't work he replaces the original and tries the next. Unfortunately many main dealers put it on the computer and then order the relevant parts which are delivered during the night ready for fitting the following day. But once fitted it stays fitted and the bill increases and increases!!!!!!! If it ain't ***ked don't fix it

Post #318062 22nd Feb 2017 6:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>