Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > timming/cam belt
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Thank you for your input, do they have to use a spacer then if you replace both at the same time, and do they indeed need changing at all, I am just trying to make sure while everything is off to do all the jobs in that area as a precaution ?

PS sorry if the thread as been hijacked, maybe I should start my own thread then it will not get mixed up ?

Post #320525 31st Mar 2017 1:47 pm
littletriple

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I did my cambelt recently & didnt replace the pulley, it looked fine. Why would you want to replace the sensor (reluctor) ring? 1978 Laverda Jota. Stolen...
1980 Honda CBX1000 6cyl.
1978 Laverda Montjuic.
2010 Yamaha MT01.

Post #320529 31st Mar 2017 2:20 pm
Trav

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Manual Rimini Red

No need to change the ring or sensor if they are working. Just be careful removing it. The reluctor ring they now supply is incompatible with the old pulley as it is considerably thinner , the new pulley accommodates for that no such thing as a spacer I made mines from the old reluctor ring to save the extra £180 for the pulley. JLR do not sell a spacer. i cut the spacer down and machined it down 1.6mm (I remember correctly)off of the back of the ring to accommodate the thickness of the new ring and machined off the magnetic strip.

It wouldn't be essential to use a laith if you was tactful with a grinder for removing the magnetic strip and a coarse belt sander for removing the 1.6mm.

Hasn't effected the performance in the slightest and I'm £180 up. Thumbs Up

Post #320530 31st Mar 2017 2:45 pm
littletriple

Yes, replace if faulty. Thanks for the heads up on fitting the new one. But they are pretty simple things, why did it stop working? Shocked 1978 Laverda Jota. Stolen...
1980 Honda CBX1000 6cyl.
1978 Laverda Montjuic.
2010 Yamaha MT01.

Post #320537 31st Mar 2017 3:14 pm
Arctic

Ok so the census is the pulley itself should not need changing at the same time a timing belts water pump etc, how about the auxiliary tensioner and pulley or am I going over the top ?

Post #320552 31st Mar 2017 11:52 pm
Trav

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Manual Rimini Red

I didn't go for changing it as it didn't look that old. some prefer to just do it all while in about but access is easy enough to do it in under 30 minutes if you were to do it at a later day.

Post #320581 1st Apr 2017 4:48 pm
littletriple

same here. Everything on my aux drive was fine. Check the action of the tensioner & all the pulleys & rollers & inspect the belt. Are you asking about the crankshaft pulley with the rubber decoupler? 1978 Laverda Jota. Stolen...
1980 Honda CBX1000 6cyl.
1978 Laverda Montjuic.
2010 Yamaha MT01.

Post #320589 1st Apr 2017 8:13 pm
Arctic

Well we managed to get the belt & tensioner pulley etc fitted today but not without a bit of drama, the starter motor negative pole was weak and snapped off flush, so we had to take it to a refurbishing place, it will be back with us tomorrow when we can fit it back on and start the engine hopefully.

The kit actually came with a new crank pulley bolt we found out when we opened the box, I was informed though that the bolt is not s stretch bolt, and could be reused if new Loctite was added,

The belts I took off looked to be ok the writing was still very visible, gates also the auxiliary belt was Dayco, the tensioner some Chinese make, water pump looked new but had the plastic impeller, not the metal one which the new gates kit as so I suppose I could have left it but now I know for certain when they have been done.

Hopefully all goes well tomorrow, most of the work is remove all the gumph to get to the belt cheers Arctic.

Post #320844 5th Apr 2017 11:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123